X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    Wherrrrre's Al Pike?
    Pike still writes for Fosters...and he does a great job too calling it like it is. I'm not looking for a negative article, and, the season just ended so it's prob too soon, just think something needs to be written to wrap it all up. But, as I've said, anyone who went through the season already has given their own judgements on it, and guess the last piece of it will be said at the banquet. So, guess it is what it is, or, maybe there is something left to be said. I'd rather get to the future!
    Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-05-2018, 04:26 PM.
    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Buckle up folks as I dont think UNH has bottomed out - not sure you can be lower than last place in Hockey East but now the recruiting cupboard is bare and we have a rookie head coach taking over. Trying times for the program ahead in my opinion. Honestly, I think 3-4 years of the cellar then another head coach is whats in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
        Really a sad way to end the career for Dick. Great guy, great coach. Had some great teams that played fantastic, up and down clean hockey. No clutch and grab nonsense.

Would have been great to see him win the big one. But just wasn't in the cards.

Next chapter in UNH hockey history begins and we'll have to wait and see how it goes.
        First off, thank you Nick. I was surprised to see that from you but perhaps your history and Dick's tenure approximate each other. I too feel it an unfortunate way to go, but as noted, lots of the necessary ingredients were clearly missing.
        While this fall i could clearly see this as another down year, I just didn't see it as possibly being that bad. I came on here and said that I could envision a 7th place finish. My bad! I also responded that that I thought the top 2 lines could get 160+ points. Why not, only TK was missing. Very important but find a reasonable replacement and the second line - 7, 26 and 20 could easily up their production by 20-25% while the top line only be down 30%. Again, my bad! Not sure who we could count as the 1st and second lines as tht all chaged many tim
        I have to note some real disappointing progression from many, but it was across the board and doesn't bode well for the immediate future. As several have noted we are only 2 incoming goal scores from a much better team.
        Let me put the last nail in my coffin by saying we lost a lot of 1 goal game, often at the end and we could have fared better. Woula, coula, shouda doesn't move you up the standings. Thank you seniors - this must have felt like the year from hell.

Comment

I'll bite, why is there a NU fan talking trash?

Umile was a architect of many unpleasant evenings for PC hockey, but his teams were fun to watch and no ever said anything bad about the guy. He certainly earned a better ending to his career than this...

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
          -Blackadder
          "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
          -Casablanca
          "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
          -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
            Pike still writes for Fosters...and he does a great job too calling it like it is. I'm not looking for a negative article, and, the season just ended so it's prob too soon, just think something needs to be written to wrap it all up. But, as I've said, anyone who went through the season already has given their own judgements on it, and guess the last piece of it will be said at the banquet. So, guess it is what it is, or, maybe there is something left to be said. I'd rather get to the future!
            I have no doubt there will be a season/career wrapup sooner rather than later. That is not what I was talking about. My point was that UNH-Maine is supposed to be this epic rivalry, its in the playoffs, and oh by the way, its the end of Dick Umile's career. And no local outlet could be bothered to cover it. Just symbolizes the increasing irrelevance of the program. Sad.

Not that it matters, but I could have cared less who covered the game. The only thing important to me are the quotes. In reality, the increasing availability of access to the post game press conferences are making the jobs of the sportswriters obsolete.
            Last edited by Felger; 03-05-2018, 06:27 PM.
            UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon View Post
              I'll bite, why is there a NU fan talking trash?

Umile was a architect of many unpleasant evenings for PC hockey, but his teams were fun to watch and no ever said anything bad about the guy. He certainly earned a better ending to his career than this...
              In more ways than one, he architected this ending.
              Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
                I have no doubt there will be a season/career wrapup sooner rather than later. That is not what I was talking about. My point was that UNH-Maine is supposed to be this epic rivalry, its in the playoffs, and oh by the way, its the end of Dick Umile's career. And no local outlet could be bothered to cover it. Just symbolizes the increasing irrelevance of the program. Sad.

Not that it matters, but I could have cared less who covered the game. The only thing important to me are the quotes. In reality, the increasing availability of access to the post game press conferences are making the jobs of the sportswriters obsolete.
                Agree would have liked post game comments as well; and wonder if there will be a presser of sorts like there have been throughout the season. Those I have accessed via social media like twitter then it has shown up maybe the next day maybe in the paper. You'd think they'd have covered it like they did the Dartmouth tournament weekend, but, maybe that was because it was 2 NH schools playing.
                Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-05-2018, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                  ...First, the NCAA tournament started in 1948, 70 years ago. At that time UNH was not eligible because, not only were they not Division 1, but they didn't even have a rink. Snively opened in 1965 and two years later UNH became a Division 1 school.
                  The NCAA did not have Division I,II or III classification until 1973 and all teams were eligible for the NCAA Ice Hockey Tournament. The ECAC was formed in 1961 to determine one of the 2 eastern teams to go to the NCAA Tournament and for the first three seasons all teams were together. However, starting in 1964 the ECAC split the teams into DI and DII, with only the DI teams eligible to complete in the DI tournament and in effect to be able to be selected for the NCAA Tournament. New Hampshire originally joined DII, but after two years petitioned to joined DI for the 1967-68 season, but was promoted immediately, i.e., with the 1966-67 season. So, New Hampshire was eligible for the NCAA Tournament for all but 2 seasons since the tournament started.

Sean
                  Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                  Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                  BU Hockey highlights and extras
                  NCAA Hockey Financials
                  Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                  I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Serious question - does Coach Umile even plan to attend the season-ending banquet?

If ever there was a situation where his presence could detract from attention otherwise to be focused on the graduating players and his hand-picked successor ... it could be the case here? IF he were to show up in person, you'd think it's almost unavoidable that a significant portion of the proceedings would be dedicated to the outgoing 28 yr. head coach, no? But he's had "his" weekend already (arguably much more), so maybe the banquet would be a good setting to finally allow Coach Souza to have the limelight all to himself for the first time, with his team?

It's one of the reasons why I was curious earlier what Coach said after the season finale on Saturday night.

I honestly don't begrudge Coach Umile his final event in charge, but this may be the one time over the last several years where Coach's decision to basically "mail it in" might be exactly the right thing to do?
                    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                      Serious question - does Coach Umile even plan to attend the season-ending banquet?

If ever there was a situation where his presence could detract from attention otherwise to be focused on the graduating players and his hand-picked successor ... it could be the case here? IF he were to show up in person, you'd think it's almost unavoidable that a significant portion of the proceedings would be dedicated to the outgoing 28 yr. head coach, no? But he's had "his" weekend already (arguably much more), so maybe the banquet would be a good setting to finally allow Coach Souza to have the limelight all to himself for the first time, with his team?

It's one of the reasons why I was curious earlier what Coach said after the season finale on Saturday night.

I honestly don't begrudge Coach Umile his final event in charge, but this may be the one time over the last several years where Coach's decision to basically "mail it in" might be exactly the right thing to do?
                      When is this event? And, when is the redux at Libby's? :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Can't imagine that he would not attend; at the banquet the HC sits at the head table with his Seniors and listens as each one gives his goodbye speech. The event's focus is entirely on them; videos of each player, awards, and the naming of the Captain (s) for the coming season. Most likely there will be references to his leaving, and, he has given a short speech about the season in the ones that I have attended. The night is supposed to be about the outgoing Seniors, I'd be surprised if a lot of time is spent otherwise...?
                        Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-05-2018, 08:16 PM.

Comment

When is this event? And, when is the redux at Libby's? :-)
                          Normally the 3rd Sat in April. We should plan to meet before the event I'd be down for that...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                            The NCAA did not have Division I,II or III classification until 1973 and all teams were eligible for the NCAA Ice Hockey Tournament. The ECAC was formed in 1961 to determine one of the 2 eastern teams to go to the NCAA Tournament and for the first three seasons all teams were together. However, starting in 1964 the ECAC split the teams into DI and DII, with only the DI teams eligible to complete in the DI tournament and in effect to be able to be selected for the NCAA Tournament. New Hampshire originally joined DII, but after two years petitioned to joined DI for the 1967-68 season, but was promoted immediately, i.e., with the 1966-67 season. So, New Hampshire was eligible for the NCAA Tournament for all but 2 seasons since the tournament started.

Sean
                            Sean, haven’t seen you post in quite awhile. Good to see you weighing in. Always felt that you were the preeminent college hockey historian. Your comment here is undoubtedly correct, but the larger point is that UNH was in no position to compete against any of the 1950s or 1960s hockey powers. No ice, no scholarships, no chance. Once they got serious though, it didn’t take them long to get noticed. I remember them beating BU in 1969; the cognoscenti in Boston were stunned.

Comment

No? How so?
                              Because it's false. Quick never played in the NAHL.
                              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                                Because it's false. Quick never played in the NAHL.
                                Thanks, Nick. But, it was such a good comparison otherwise. :-)

So, who was the NAHL goalie not chosen?
                                Last edited by Snively65; 03-06-2018, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X