Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Well, the last trophy was named for a well established business in a WCHA city. So, why not do the same again? Metler's Cup.
    Perfect! It could just be a stripper pole!
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
      Perfect! It could just be a stripper pole!
      Yes! With a nice smeer streak down the side of it.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
        Umm, what exactly are snowflake students?
        From urbandictionary.com:
        A term for someone who thinks they are unique and special, but really are not. It gained popularity after the movie "Fight Club" from the quote “You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else."

Began being used extensively as a putdown for someone, usually on the political left, who is easily offended or felt they needed a "safe space" away from the harsh realities of the world, but now has morphed into a general putdown for anyone that complains about any subject. Example: Comedians have a hard time performing on college campuses anymore because of all the little snowflakes running around that get offended by just about anything they say.
        "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
        Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
          Jake Harrison committed to us less than three months ago. Now he's committed to Michigan.
          http://www.westkelownawarriors.ca/ne...2019-20-season
          No big deal. Just flip him back. It's not over until he signs. In high tech sales it's knowing as creating FUD--Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt:
          "Hey Jake, you can ride the bench at a football school in a football conference or you can play at a hockey school in a hockey conference. You'll get to travel to Alaska and Alabama. Pearson has 40 guys committed so your odds of ever playing there are tiny. Pearson just stockpiles players knowing he can't play them all."

I remember a reporter once asked a basketball coach, "Do you prefer fast players or tall players?" He replied, "Tall players. As a game wears on, the fast guys will slow down but the tall guys won't get shorter."
          "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
          Abe Lincoln

Comment

Yes! With a nice smeer streak down the side of it.
            A nice touch for such a classy place.
            tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
              I have to agree. Sauer was a terrific man and a great ambassador of college hockey. BUT his school left. There are plenty of deserving individuals from schools that are in the WCHA like John MacInnes & Rick Comley.
              Not that I'm ever one to stir the pot or disparage either one of these two, who are on the list of my favorite coaches - but both of them were the head of a program that bolted from the WCHA. So if you're using that argument against Jeff Sauer, that's not right.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                Not that I'm ever one to stir the pot or disparage either one of these two, who are on the list of my favorite coaches - but both of them were the head of a program that bolted from the WCHA. So if you're using that argument against Jeff Sauer, that's not right.
                I see what davyd83 is saying and, to some extent, I agree with him. But as far as I can recall, Sauer was not a driving force to create the Nacho. He did a lot to build up the WCHA. More than most and as an important figure in the history of the league, I think he is deserving of the honor.

That being said, why couldn't it be named after another former WCHA player/coach... Jamie Russell?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

You guys realize Jeff Sauer was a special assistant to the WCHA commissioner from when he left the Badgers until the time of his death, right? Wisconsin may have left the WCHA but Jeff Sauer never did.

For 56 years and through six decades (1961-2017) Sauer was playing and working within and for the WCHA. (not to mention having the most coaching wins in WCHA history) Sauer was a selfless, humble, and very unpretentious man, and as a result, was underappreciated outside the sport in his lifetime. But inside hockey he was a giant and every place in the world where hockey is played he was recognized, admired, and counted endless friends. (He knew everybody everywhere outside of hockey as well.) He was such a tremendous person on and off the ice and the WCHA should be honored to be associated with him. No one more deserving and no better example to follow in working for the future of the sport than Jeff Sauer.
                  Originally posted by WiscTJK
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                  Originally posted by Timothy A
                  Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                    You guys realize Jeff Sauer was a special assistant to the WCHA commissioner from when he left the Badgers until the time of his death, right? Wisconsin may have left the WCHA but Jeff Sauer never did.

For 56 years and through six decades (1961-2017) Sauer was playing and working within and for the WCHA. (not to mention having the most coaching wins in WCHA history) Sauer was a selfless, humble, and very unpretentious man, and as a result, was underappreciated outside the sport in his lifetime. But inside hockey he was a giant and every place in the world where hockey is played he was recognized, admired, and counted endless friends. (He knew everybody everywhere outside of hockey as well.) He was such a tremendous person on and off the ice and the WCHA should be honored to be associated with him. No one more deserving and no better example to follow in working for the future of the sport than Jeff Sauer.
                    Well said..

Comment

GO Huskies!

Comment

Thank you for that, I definitely agree, especially after things are put in perspective with the fact that Rick Comley and John MacInnes left the WCHA at one point...
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

That may be true, but if you ask the casual hockey fan "What do you know about Jeff Sauer?" I don't think any of them will answer "He worked for the WCHA." They'll all answer (if they even know) "I believe he was the head coach of the Badgers."

Hardly anyone will know he worked for the league in the same way that most fans today have no clue that Tech was in the CCHA for three seasons.

I'm not saying that to diminish what he did for the league, I'm just saying he'll always be known as the Badgers coach, much in the same way that Herb Brooks will never be known as a head coach of St Cloud State outside of St Cloud, MN. He's either the Miracle coach, or the Univ of Minn head coach to hockey fans.

Present perception is my only reason for objecting to Sauer being the namesake of the new trophy. I'm sure I'm not the only person to ask why the trophy is named after "The Badgers' Former Coach" when they are now in the Bi7.

Ryan
                          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                          Originally posted by geezer
                          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                          Originally posted by manurespreader
                          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                            Thank you for that, I definitely agree, especially after things are put in perspective with the fact that Rick Comley and John MacInnes left the WCHA at one point...
                            Not arguing with Sauer's persona, resume, or accomplishments, even though he spent time at WisconSIN.

Why did the WCHA the change now? The playoffs didn't change (# of teams or format) or new team(s) weren't added to the league. IMHO, If they were going to do this, announce it last year at this time. They had to have it in the works and know they wanted to make the change. It would have allowed the Broadmoor to be celebrated and retired.

In a way it is sad they waited until he died before they "gave" him this honor.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                              That may be true, but if you ask the casual hockey fan "What do you know about Jeff Sauer?" I don't think any of them will answer "He worked for the WCHA." They'll all answer (if they even know) "I believe he was the head coach of the Badgers."

Hardly anyone will know he worked for the league in the same way that most fans today have no clue that Tech was in the CCHA for three seasons.

I'm not saying that to diminish what he did for the league, I'm just saying he'll always be known as the Badgers coach, much in the same way that Herb Brooks will never be known as a head coach of St Cloud State outside of St Cloud, MN. He's either the Miracle coach, or the Univ of Minn head coach to hockey fans.

Present perception is my only reason for objecting to Sauer being the namesake of the new trophy. I'm sure I'm not the only person to ask why the trophy is named after "The Badgers' Former Coach" when they are now in the Bi7.

Ryan
                              What would a casual college hockey fan know about Big Jim MacNaughton?
                              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

What would a casual college hockey fan know about Big Jim MacNaughton?
                                Nothing, but that trophy has been around since 1913, I don't think the casual NHL fan knows much about Lord Stanley either.
                                2005-2006: 7-25-6
                                2006-2007: 18-17-5
                                2007-2008: 14-20-5
                                2008-2009: 6-25-7
                                2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Working...
                                X