Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    One thing as fans, no matter what the sport or what level, we always notice the bad or marginal calls that go agsinst us, but we rarely disagree with the ones that go in our favor. One thing I also try to remember is that the view we have from the stands or on TV is far different than what the officials see at ice level with 10 guys & two goalies whizzing around.
    davyd, you may want to listen to the MTU coaches show to understand the context of this post. It is the coach who is claiming there is officiating bias against MTU. This has nothing to do with a fans perception. I'm just stating the numbers don't support the coaches claim.
    Last edited by rustedblades; 01-29-2018, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
      Dave, you may want to listen to the MTU coaches show to understand the context of this post. It is the coach who is claiming there is officiating bias against MTU. This has nothing to do with a fans perception. I'm just stating the numbers don't support the coaches claim.
      Thanks!
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by <3_Blizzard View Post
        Wow Joe taking a dump on the WCHA Officials and league office on the JSH today. Calling them a joke when it comes to concussions/protecting players etc.
        I agree with coach. The officiating in the WCHA is not consistent. If they are going to clamp down on calling stuff be consistent throughout the game. If you are going to let the ticky tack stuff go, be that way for the rest of game.
        The league has to enforce the deliberate intent to injury another player and have a severe consequence for someone who does that. You could end a player's hockey career and cause problems later in life.
        MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
        2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

Redmond is struggling this year, but did he make a bad move? I’d say no. His bonus check is in the bank and he has a 3 year deal. If he were to stay in college and wait a year longer to sign, his contract value isn’t likely to increase much even if he matches ehat he did last year and his chances of improving on those numbers with the loss of some pretty good D in front of him were slim. Throw in the possibility of tweaking a hamstring, groin or knee could be a disaster for his contract & bonus value. Bad move for Angus? No. Bad move for the Ducks? Time will tell. But one thing is in his favor is having the chance to work with the Ducks goalie coach on a regular basis. Good luck to Angus.
          The guy has raw talent as everyone could see when he played here. He did wander a little bit too much for my liking.
          I think he should have stayed in college for a year or two, but money talks I guess.
          MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
          2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

Redmond is struggling this year, but did he make a bad move? I’d say no. His bonus check is in the bank and he has a 3 year deal. If he were to stay in college and wait a year longer to sign, his contract value isn’t likely to increase much even if he matches ehat he did last year and his chances of improving on those numbers with the loss of some pretty good D in front of him were slim. Throw in the possibility of tweaking a hamstring, groin or knee could be a disaster for his contract & bonus value. Bad move for Angus? No. Bad move for the Ducks? Time will tell. But one thing is in his favor is having the chance to work with the Ducks goalie coach on a regular basis. Good luck to Angus.
            From what I'm seeing from goaltenders you've got to be playing to stay sharp. Is Redmond going to improve enough by practicing in the ECHL? Maybe but most likely not enough to move up to the AHL or NHL. People argue you can always go back to school but by not developing for another year or so in college did he take 3 years worth of money in exchange for what could have been a careers worth of money with some good development? I wish the best for him but I will be shocked if he makes it out of the ECHL.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Just finished listening to the Joe Show. Good comments on why he went with Packy over Kero at 46:00. His logic makes sense but like he said, none of them are giving him that "numbet".

Also, i thought all 3 would be back next year but he's talking about spending money on bringing someone in.

http://www.michigantechhuskies.com/m...e_Shawhan_Hour

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                Just finished listening to the Joe Show. Good comments on why he went with Packy over Kero at 46:00. His logic makes sense but like he said, none of them are giving him that "numbet".

Also, i thought all 3 would be back next year but he's talking about spending money on bringing someone in.

http://www.michigantechhuskies.com/m...e_Shawhan_Hour

Also, it sounds like Kero needs new contacts so he can pick up those longer shots.

Comment

It also sounds like Joe is going to expand the roster to make sure there is depth and guys pushing for ice time. That surprised me a little, but after seeing how little the line-up changed and his previous comments about the bench not pushing for ice time, I'm not surprised. It is clear to me Joe knows what he wants out of each and every position on the team. If we can get those players and the coaches can coach guys up,... That is the $250,000 question.

Taking a step back, this team looks like the 2016-2017 Tech team at the start of last season. We gave up soft goals, but played well. When a goalie stepped up, we were able to have a successful season.

I think Angus made the right decision for him. I was surprised someone offered him a pro contract. He had about one freshman/lack of concentration play every game. I'm sure just about everyone would like to have him on this team. If we had him, we arguable would be in the top 3 in the WCHA. I wish him the best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                    It also sounds like Joe is going to expand the roster to make sure there is depth and guys pushing for ice time. That surprised me a little, but after seeing how little the line-up changed and his previous comments about the bench not pushing for ice time, I'm not surprised. It is clear to me Joe knows what he wants out of each and every position on the team. If we can get those players and the coaches can coach guys up,... That is the $250,000 question.

Taking a step back, this team looks like the 2016-2017 Tech team at the start of last season. We gave up soft goals, but played well. When a goalie stepped up, we were able to have a successful season.

I think Angus made the right decision for him. I was surprised someone offered him a pro contract. He had about one freshman/lack of concentration play every game. I'm sure just about everyone would like to have him on this team. If we had him, we arguable would be in the top 3 in the WCHA. I wish him the best of luck.
                    We all wish him luck but you have to wonder at the sanity of some of the decisions to sign that we see. Not just on our team. I think what happens is.... the agents, who get a commission btw, are always looking for a way to talk a kid into leaving and signing. Angus believed what he was told about you can get this or that, sure he has a contract for now.... but it's my experience that the goalies you tend to see make it are goalies that stay around for 4 years, Conner Hellybuyck for instance.And if Angus doesn't get his performance up he won't last that full time.
                    I thought Roy was right to go, I don't think he could have improved his value by staying, but the odds are, if you sign in the ECHL, you are not making the NHL and you might as well get your degree. At least that way you have something you can do besides grocery clerk, once you graduate. If I was a player, i'd ask the coach if he thought I was ready to leave, I think the coach is a much more reliable place to get advice than some agent from Winnipeg or Montreal.
                    At this moment, I don't think there are any players on our roster who wouldn't benefit from another year here. Just my humble opinion though.
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                      We all wish him luck but you have to wonder at the sanity of some of the decisions to sign that we see. Not just on our team. I think what happens is.... the agents, who get a commission btw, are always looking for a way to talk a kid into leaving and signing. Angus believed what he was told about you can get this or that, sure he has a contract for now.... but it's my experience that the goalies you tend to see make it are goalies that stay around for 4 years, Conner Hellybuyck for instance.And if Angus doesn't get his performance up he won't last that full time.
                      I thought Roy was right to go, I don't think he could have improved his value by staying, but the odds are, if you sign in the ECHL, you are not making the NHL and you might as well get your degree. At least that way you have something you can do besides grocery clerk, once you graduate. If I was a player, i'd ask the coach if he thought I was ready to leave, I think the coach is a much more reliable place to get advice than some agent from Winnipeg or Montreal.
                      At this moment, I don't think there are any players on our roster who wouldn't benefit from another year here. Just my humble opinion though.
                      From hearing Joe talk, I think he expects Reinke to be gone next year.

Also, I think sometimes the club's that draft college kids think they will develop better in the minors with their own coaches than with college coaches. Isn't that what happened to Khaira?

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                        Regarding Redmond, I believe Coach Pearson and Coach Shawhan both commented that they did not think he was ready to go when he signed. I think these guys get stars in their eyes when they get the offer, in the grand scheme of things what does Anaheim have to lose if he doesn't pan out, chump change to them, but if he does then they are sitting pretty. Redmond however has a lot to lose if things don't pan out with Anaheim as he will have very little value being utilized as he is now. Big mistake IMHO.

Regarding MTUs current goaltending situation this is how I would look at the remainder of the year. (This is from a totally unprofessional, hometown bias, point of view)

All three GAA is very similar Munson 2.83, Kero 2.66 and Beydoun 2.38. Save percentages Munson 0.900, Kero 0.900, Beydoun 0.905. Munson W/L record is 7-7-3, Kero's 3-2-1, Beydouns 3-2-1. On paper they all look the same, game experience looks similar, all look good at times, all struggle at times. How do you differentiate between the 3. For me there is one intangible that most coaches wouldn't even think about or consider but could and maybe should be a difference maker. I'm probably going to get a lot of crap for even saying this but here we go.

Kero bleeds black and gold, the kid has grown up with this team, his brother played for this team, he's got younger brothers that desire to play for this team. I personally feel with the coaches confidence behind him this kid could carry this team through a nice playoff run. Put him in there for the rest of the season regardless of his results and force him to either perform or he's done. Give him a chance to sink or swim. There's not much to lose at this point. I honestly believe that his pride in this program, unlike the other 2 (and I'm not saying they don't have pride but once they're gone it may not matter to them, it will to Kero) could be a difference maker in how they finish but he needs the backing and full support of the coaching staff and the legitimate opportunity to succeed.

Just my opinion which certianly doesn't mean a thing.

Go Huskies, time to make a run!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                          From hearing Joe talk, I think he expects Reinke to be gone next year.

Also, I think sometimes the club's that draft college kids think they will develop better in the minors with their own coaches than with college coaches. Isn't that what happened to Khaira?

The difference is Khaira played when he left, Redmond isn't playing much and when he is playing doesn't look like he is playing well. Again, I hope he has a very successful hockey career.

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
                            Regarding Redmond, I believe Coach Pearson and Coach Shawhan both commented that they did not think he was ready to go when he signed. I think these guys get stars in their eyes when they get the offer, in the grand scheme of things what does Anaheim have to lose if he doesn't pan out, chump change to them, but if he does then they are sitting pretty. Redmond however has a lot to lose if things don't pan out with Anaheim as he will have very little value being utilized as he is now. Big mistake IMHO.

Regarding MTUs current goaltending situation this is how I would look at the remainder of the year. (This is from a totally unprofessional, hometown bias, point of view)

All three GAA is very similar Munson 2.83, Kero 2.66 and Beydoun 2.38. Save percentages Munson 0.900, Kero 0.900, Beydoun 0.905. Munson W/L record is 7-7-3, Kero's 3-2-1, Beydouns 3-2-1. On paper they all look the same, game experience looks similar, all look good at times, all struggle at times. How do you differentiate between the 3. For me there is one intangible that most coaches wouldn't even think about or consider but could and maybe should be a difference maker. I'm probably going to get a lot of crap for even saying this but here we go.

Kero bleeds black and gold, the kid has grown up with this team, his brother played for this team, he's got younger brothers that desire to play for this team. I personally feel with the coaches confidence behind him this kid could carry this team through a nice playoff run. Put him in there for the rest of the season regardless of his results and force him to either perform or he's done. Give him a chance to sink or swim. There's not much to lose at this point. I honestly believe that his pride in this program, unlike the other 2 (and I'm not saying they don't have pride but once they're gone it may not matter to them, it will to Kero) could be a difference maker in how they finish but he needs the backing and full support of the coaching staff and the legitimate opportunity to succeed.

Just my opinion which certianly doesn't mean a thing.

Go Huskies, time to make a run!!!
                            I think Joe is going to keep playing musical goalies until someone gets us that 1 in 7 scoring chances number. The numbers don't favor any goalie. I don't think your suggestion of Kero is all bad. There is a sentimental reason to go with Kero. Some might say to go with Packy because he is the most experienced. Still others might say go with Robbie as he has the most room for growth. With those numbers, all three goalies are/belong in the doghouse. It sounds like Joe has at least a goalie or possibly two he is eyeing for the near future.

Comment

Whomever he goes with, I think we're to the point in the season where he needs to sink or swim with one guy.

I like Kero for the reasons stated. Even though he too gives up some leakers, I also think the team plays better in front of him.

I can also see the argument for Beydoun because he'll be around for 3 more years and he could use some good experience and confidence to hopefully carry into next season.

I would be happy with either of them. I don't like the idea of Munson though. I was a little apprehensive last summer when I heard they were bringing in a guy to play on his 3rd team in 3 seasons. Since then I haven't seen any reason not to trust my original instincts about him.

But I will also throw in the disclaimer that I don't know any of these kids nor do I know how they are in the dressing room or at practice.

That being said, from what he said on the Joe Show yesterday about spending money to get someone in next year, I get the feeling he's not happy and doesn't see any of them as a #1 now or next year.

I like this team.

Comment

Things i'd like to see better. PP percentage. PK percentage. I'd like to see us score a shorty every once in a while. Missing the net: we really miss the net a lot and then the puck rings around and out the other team comes. When we shoot wide, it's too wide. Turnovers, it would be good if we got it deep better instead of turning it over. odd man rushes. we get 3 x2's regularly but we never feed the trailer?
                                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                                X