Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    Great stuff! Thanks for sharing!
    Thanks davy83. I enjoyed it.
    I see the link now works. You just need to click on the link I provided.
    MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
    2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
      Sounds like coach gave him the nod for Friday night vs ASU.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
      Good to hear, I'll be there. I appreciate the recent Saturday turnarounds, but hopefully we can start the weekend off right, build confidence and momentum going into the tournament.

The NMU series is well timed with the inherent playoff like intensity whenever the teams meet.

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
        I guarantee the guys were as upset as he was and they care about the jersey as much as he does.
        The guys might care as much about the jersey as the coach does, but none of them care as much as I do. Speaking of which...

Just added this historical item to the collection. Worn by Winnipeg Jets prospect Jamie Phillips for three seasons (2012-2015) including Friday the 13th, February 2015 during his 1-0 triple-OT WCHA playoff win. The game ended at 18:49 of the third overtime as the longest game in the 96 year history of Huskies hockey.

Interesting WCHA side note, the opposing goalie in that game, Carmine Guerriero of UAH, wore the blue jersey shown below when he set the WCHA record that night for most saves in a single game with 76. Phillips stopped all 32 shots he faced.

Ryan

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
        Originally posted by geezer
        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
        Originally posted by manurespreader
        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

LMAO! Nice segue!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Revs89.2 View Post
            Good morning Tech fans and sorry to jump in the middle of your conversation. I will be coming up this weekend and if anyone is interested in saying hello, let me know a good place/time to see you. I have had a chance to chat with a few of you over on the ASU board. Have a great week!
            Are you from Arizona? Do you know what you're getting into, traveling to Houghton in the winter?

Anyway, you'll have fun, it is a great trip to make, it just takes a while to get to Houghton. Find some time to look into the history of the area, both the hockey history and the mining history. I find both incredibly intriguing. Make sure to get pizza and a fishbowl at the Ambassador in downtown Houghton. Great place, great pizza.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
              The guys might care as much about the jersey as the coach does, but none of them care as much as I do. Speaking of which...

Just added this historical item to the collection. Worn by Winnipeg Jets prospect Jamie Phillips for three seasons (2012-2015) including Friday the 13th, February 2015 during his 1-0 triple-OT WCHA playoff win. The game ended at 18:49 of the third overtime as the longest game in the 96 year history of Huskies hockey.

Interesting WCHA side note, the opposing goalie in that game, Carmine Guerriero of UAH, wore the blue jersey shown below when he set the WCHA record that night for most saves in a single game with 76. Phillips stopped all 32 shots he faced.

Ryan

I'm jealous of you having that CG35 jersey, but not so jealous as to part with the figure you'd (rightly) charge me.

Do you have the jersey where Brandon Parker really made Jamie look bad?

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                Are you from Arizona? Do you know what you're getting into, traveling to Houghton in the winter?

Anyway, you'll have fun, it is a great trip to make, it just takes a while to get to Houghton. Find some time to look into the history of the area, both the hockey history and the mining history. I find both incredibly intriguing. Make sure to get pizza and a fishbowl at the Ambassador in downtown Houghton. Great place, great pizza.
                I can second the Ambassador. Watch out for the Long Island iced tea fishbowls. They sneak up on you. If you like beer go to the KBC. Cool space to have a brew and chill. While you are in Houghton, have a pasty (meat and root vegetable filled pastry). The locals recommend ketchup. Non-locals like brown gravy.

Bring a good pair of hiking boots as there may be some snow and not a lot of sun.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                  Find some time to look into the history of the area, both the hockey history and the mining history. I find both incredibly intriguing.
                  Dont miss the Dee Stadium in downtown Houghton on the water. A lot of local hockey history there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for all of the great recommendations! I certainly need to make a point of getting to the Ambassador. It looks fairly close to my hotel. Although my thinned out blood may think 1.5 miles in the cold is too much! I'm trying to find a jacket warm enough, but will probably have to just layer up. Few other questions and I will stop bugging you all. Is the arena cold? Wondering if I need to dress warmly inside, or if a sweatshirt will be enough. And I was intrigued by the "pasty" recommendation. Any particular place that I would go to get one of those? Sounds delicious! Thanks again. I'm looking forward to seeing your home crowd. You guys were absolutely awesome here in AZ and then in Vegas this year.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                      Dont miss the Dee Stadium in downtown Houghton on the water. A lot of local hockey history there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
                      Or the Colosseum in Calumet - oldest continuously operated indoor hockey arena in North America. Michigan house is cool and historic, but their micro brew is sometimes not great. Shutes is a cool place to have a mule or craft beer, next door to the historic Calumet theater. That's assuming you have a rental to get up that way (12 mi).

Comment

Originally posted by Revs89.2 View Post
                        Thanks for all of the great recommendations! I certainly need to make a point of getting to the Ambassador. It looks fairly close to my hotel. Although my thinned out blood may think 1.5 miles in the cold is too much! I'm trying to find a jacket warm enough, but will probably have to just layer up. Few other questions and I will stop bugging you all. Is the arena cold? Wondering if I need to dress warmly inside, or if a sweatshirt will be enough. And I was intrigued by the "pasty" recommendation. Any particular place that I would go to get one of those? Sounds delicious! Thanks again. I'm looking forward to seeing your home crowd. You guys were absolutely awesome here in AZ and then in Vegas this year.
                        I suggest Roy's on the canal west of the bridge for pasties. The arena is pretty warm, which is the only negative of playing there..prefer the harder ice and less sweating induced at the other local rinks. Usually I wear an outer jacket into the arena and just have my jersey on during the game.

Comment

Originally posted by AFHusky View Post
                          I suggest Roy's on the canal west of the bridge for pasties. The arena is pretty warm, which is the only negative of playing there..prefer the harder ice and less sweating induced at the other local rinks. Usually I wear an outer jacket into the arena and just have my jersey on during the game.

Yeah, I've never gotten cold at the arena. But, I rarely get cold anywhere, so my opinion probably isn't real valid.

Since it is a week after carnival, the snow statues should still be in a pretty good condition, hopefully. They'll be cool to check out.
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                            Do you have the jersey where Brandon Parker really made Jamie look bad?
                            GFM
                            I'll just say... "Not yet." They all come "home" eventually.

The best part of that event was Jamie actually replying to the NCAA's tweet about the goal.
                            https://***********/NCAAIceHockey/st...80951452332032

Ryan
                            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                            Originally posted by geezer
                            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                            Originally posted by manurespreader
                            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                              The best part of that event was Jamie actually replying to the NCAA's tweet about the goal.
                              https://***********/NCAAIceHockey/st...80951452332032
                              I laughed until I cried. We razzed him a little about it.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Revs89.2 View Post
                                You do have several past shops in the Phoenix area. Yhe Cornish Pasty Co locations have even given love to the Upper Peninsula on their menue. Their “Oggie” is the original Yooper Pasty. When you come here, Soumi & Roy’s in Houghton andvToni’s up in Calumet are the best!
                                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X