Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

Originally posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
    Why does the Big Ten conference have four teams in the NCAA tournament?
    We coulda had 5. Stop beeching. It's called simple math.

At this point, go Tech. Only way I'll go to the dam games.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

Any questions about the Bridgeport area let me know. There is really only one main Holiday Inn downtown which I believe is usually the host hotel "sold out". I recommend staying in the Residence inn, Hampton Inn or Springhill Suites in Milford, about ten minutes from the rink driving. Ralph and Richies near the arena is a good Italian place for food and drinks. There is a brewery near the arena called Brewport, that has very good pizza. There are a few other restaurants downtown that have been used for pregaming. Parking is usually ten dollars in the large surface lot across from the rink, I never park in the attached garage so have no clue of the situation there. There is ample street parking in Bridgeport, especially on weekends, take care to carefully read the street parking signs as they vary street to street. You can also park in the lot behind Ralph and Richies if you patronise the place. Good luck this weekend.
      YALE HOCKEY
      2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        Hmmm...ask a simple question and get a smart*ss reply....
        "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
        Abe Lincoln

Comment

Actually, math is the correct reponse. They won OOC games, which are the biggest factor in the PWR when making comparisons.

Comment

Originally posted by Wi.Huskies Fan View Post
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEYbvuzvGeo
            Highlights from last nights game.
            Wow, no other goalie does the splits better than Packy. Just amazing!
            Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              They won OOC games, which are the biggest factor in the PWR when making comparisons.
              Thanks for the explanation.
              Abe Lincoln

Comment

Actually, math is the correct reponse. They won OOC games, which are the biggest factor in the PWR when making comparisons.
                How much does the OOC opponent's record factor into it? Does beating a bunch of OOC lightweights help a lot? Or is it better to get 1 or 2 wins against a strong OOC opponent?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                  Any questions about the Bridgeport area let me know. There is really only one main Holiday Inn downtown which I believe is usually the host hotel "sold out". I recommend staying in the Residence inn, Hampton Inn or Springhill Suites in Milford, about ten minutes from the rink driving. Ralph and Richies near the arena is a good Italian place for food and drinks. There is a brewery near the arena called Brewport, that has very good pizza. There are a few other restaurants downtown that have been used for pregaming. Parking is usually ten dollars in the large surface lot across from the rink, I never park in the attached garage so have no clue of the situation there. There is ample street parking in Bridgeport, especially on weekends, take care to carefully read the street parking signs as they vary street to street. You can also park in the lot behind Ralph and Richies if you patronise the place. Good luck this weekend.
                  Thanks for the helpful tips! Wish I could make the trip.
                  Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                    How much does the OOC opponent's record factor into it? Does beating a bunch of OOC lightweights help a lot? Or is it better to get 1 or 2 wins against a strong OOC opponent?
                    http://www.uscho.com/rankings/pairwi...kings/d-i-men/ —*the explanation is at the bottom.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post

At this point, go Tech. Only way I'll go to the dam games.
                      A little sore that the Gophers were the last team out? Take comfort that North Dakota and BC didn't make it in.

Comment

I think many have changed their view of the 2017-18 season significantly in the last few weeks. If you look strictly at 2018 and stop at the end of the regular season, I'll bet a lot of Tech fans expected maybe one win at BSU and then the season would be over. I mean look at the results in 2018 to close out the regular season:
                        • Split at the GLI w/ loss to BGSU
                        • Split at Vegas w/ loss to ASU (painful)
                        • Two wins at home vs Alaska
                        • Two losses on the road at Ferris
                        • Split at BGSU giving up 7 goals in a loss
                        • Split w/ BSU
                        • Split w/ ASU (again painful for WCHA NC reasons, ASU had 8 wins all season which included two against Tech, and also wins against NMU and UAH)
                        • Split w/ NMU

Tech ends the regular season without even securing home ice in the WCHA. I doubt many people expected Tech to make it past the first round of the WCHA playoffs, much less beat Manako and even fewer expected Tech to be in the NCAA Tourney.

However... Tech had some key injuries down the stretch (who are now mostly healthy) and I think most of us can agree that the team's success in March is largely due to some solid work between the pipes. The goals allowed in the March games: 3, 4, 2 (loss), 1, 0. That's trending in the right direction and that's winning hockey come tourney time. The biggest advantage for Tech is that the NCAA Tourney is one and done. They don't have to beat a better team 2 out of 3 times, just once. Every team they face will be favored over them, but they've been facing that pressure for three weeks now and this senior class has been to the tourney twice before.

Notre Dame is averaging 2.94 goals per game while their opponents have averaged 2.17 goals per game. So my simple analysis is that I'm drawing the line at 2. If Tech holds Notre Dame to 2 goals or less, Tech wins. My prediction: Tech 3 - ND 2.

Go Huskies! Go Tech!
                        Ryan
                        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                        Originally posted by geezer
                        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                        Originally posted by manurespreader
                        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

I'll most likely be driving down from Providence friday morning/afternoon if anybody does fly into PVD and needs a ride to Bridgeport

Comment

Another point to be made here is that all the teams in this regional except us, play more or less a BGSU style of game. We will have to bring the level of play we used in the second BG game down there to be successful.
                            Also Providence is particularly aggressive on the pp. They bring the weak side defenseman in very close once the puck goes down below the goal line.
                            I haven't seen Clarkson but they are a real good team as you might surmise from over a month undefeated during the regular season.
                            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

From here on out, it's bring your 'A' game, or go home. I think we got rather lucky in Bemidji as they got away from their usual defensively-sound game. Mankato, we got the bounces and good goaltending when we needed it. NMU we beat with great defense and more playoff experience.

To beat Notre Dame, we'll need that strong defense we used against Mankato and NMU, and better special teams play.

Comment

From here on out, it's bring your 'A' game, or go home. I think we got rather lucky in Bemidji as they got away from their usual defensively-sound game. Mankato, we got the bounces and good goaltending when we needed it. NMU we beat with great defense and more playoff experience.

To beat Notre Dame, we'll need that strong defense we used against Mankato and NMU, and better special teams play.
                                If Tech can continue to play defense like they did against NMU, they'll have a chance to win any game from here on out. I think that is key, solid D, and make it as easy as possible for Packy to keep up his run.
                                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X