This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
    I would like you to listen to the post game and see if your comment is valid, I think not.
    I would be ok with your approach.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    If being sweet & soft on players is so effective, how has Nick Saban won 5 titles in 9 year? If players make mistakes and you don’t identify and correct them, how do you fix them? If players are too soft to get their mistakes corrected, they dont belong on the ice, football field, basketball court or baseball field.
    Last edited by davyd83; 02-12-2018, 07:54 AM.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

Maybe they should see if there’s a varsity coloring team if they can’t take getting chewed! Mommy, coach said I played bad...waaaaaahhhhh. He said my bad pass cost us a goal...sob...sob...sob...

If you can’t take a foot in the backside, you might as well check out on life. Life ain’t pretty. And quite, the boss expresses displeasure with your work. If you crumble when you get your butt chewed, you better stick to volunteer projects.
      Last edited by RapidsCity; 02-11-2018, 10:09 PM.

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

I disagree with some of this. You can't get better if you don't take criticism seriously. RB said I was too negative and maybe I am. I do tend to point out the mistakes too often and not the good parts so much. He's got a point. After all, the most difficult thing there is to do in life is be honest with yourself. So I'll try to be more positive.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Good morning Tech fans and sorry to jump in the middle of your conversation. I will be coming up this weekend and if anyone is interested in saying hello, let me know a good place/time to see you. I have had a chance to chat with a few of you over on the ASU board. Have a great week!

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
            I disagree with some of this. You can't get better if you don't take criticism seriously. RB said I was too negative and maybe I am. I do tend to point out the mistakes too often and not the good parts so much. He's got a point. After all, the most difficult thing there is to do in life is be honest with yourself. So I'll try to be more positive.
            The joys of balancing truth with love. All of either one rarely works. The players should know that Joe is a straight shooter. He appears to try to balance his messages to the guys.

Joe and staff are doing a great job. I don't know what better they could be doing. Our freshmen are developing and playing key rolls in critical situations. Other players have shown significant growth this year. Our team has been resilient to the massive injury bug that has bit us. This team has one of the most "never say die" attitudes of recent Tech teams. I believe every player on our team is giving it their all.

We have been spoiled by being able to ride very good goalies over the last several years. Several teams rotate two or three goalies. How long has it been since we had an unsettled net?

The frustrating part is we can get look broken on Friday then Saturday look like world beaters.

All that said they are human and have a talent ceiling. Welcome to life. As much as we don't want to openly say it, we aren't dealing with NHL caliber players. These are college kids who, if they go on, most are going to be in the ECHL/Europe, spend some time with the AHL, and hope to see a few games at the NHL level. The reason most of these guys go to Tech is to get a college degree. This is not me being down on Tech or the guys, because even if a team can recruit like a BC, BU, U of MI, U of MN,... it doesn't mean success. It is all about being a team and working together.

Go Tech!!

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
              If being sweet & soft on players is so effective, how has Nick Saban won 5 titles in 9 year? If players make mistakes and you don’t identify and correct them, how do you fix them? If players are too soft to get their mistakes corrected, they dont belong on the ice, football field, basketball court or baseball field.

Comparing Joe Shawhan to Nick Saban? Let's not get carried away here. Joe does get a bit negative publicly at times, but that's just his style. What you see and hear is what you get.
              "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

• Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
                Comparing Joe Shawhan to Nick Saban? Let's not get carried away here. Joe does get a bit negative publicly at times, but that's just his style. What you see and hear is what you get.
                Not comparing the people, comparing the style and challenging the need to be soft hearted on today’s players.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
                  Yes, but...
                  Mike Babcock is widely thought of as the best coach in the NHL yet he is also the most in your face. His style was not liked by the Red Wings players after a while. But it does get results. I'm not supportive of that style, and as can be seen in earlier posts from last month, most of us aren't. The positive approach imho is a better approach, but it depends on the individual more so than the in your face type of coaching. The guys in college hockey that are in real your face seem to have more problems keeping players. For instance the ex Wisconsin coach. No-one knows exactly what goes on in the locker room.
                  But having said all that, RB's comments were about me and not about the coach.
                  I like our team and I think this year might be a bit down, but overall I can see where we will be real good as we go forward.... But that doesn't mean I'm not frustrated with how things went that game.

I love how some of our players have developed. Even more senior guys, like Blacklock and Anderson are playing better and that was not always the case in the past, and I know it's not the case with other programs that are here in downstate Michigan.
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Looks like I can finally post! I think I had an account a long time ago, but maybe I was thinking of the D2football forum. Had an issue with the activation every time I had something I wanted to post.

Anyway, just got the Tech email that Kero was selected as WCHA goalie of the week. Not too surprised given the numbers and result of his start, although he did only play the Saturday game this weekend. One interested stat it mentions: "His .913 save percentage ranks second in the WCHA amongst goalies who have played at least nine games and his 2.43 goals against average is fourth." Also, he's 4-2-1 as the starter, which is higher than Tech's overall win percentage.

I say start him the rest of the way, whatever happens...barring injury of course.

Comment

Originally posted by AFHusky View Post
                      Looks like I can finally post! I think I had an account a long time ago, but maybe I was thinking of the D2football forum. Had an issue with the activation every time I had something I wanted to post.

Anyway, just got the Tech email that Kero was selected as WCHA goalie of the week. Not too surprised given the numbers and result of his start, although he did only play the Saturday game this weekend. One interested stat it mentions: "His .913 save percentage ranks second in the WCHA amongst goalies who have played at least nine games and his 2.43 goals against average is fourth." Also, he's 4-2-1 as the starter, which is higher than Tech's overall win percentage.

I say start him the rest of the way, whatever happens...barring injury of course.
                      One would think so...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Found this clip on YouTube. It is about the late and great John MacInnes and what his former players thought about him and how he built a great program at MTU. Enjoy.

Right click with mouse on the link below, then left click with your mouse to watch. This should work.

https://youtu.be/E38p-rXfxgs
                        MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
                        2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

My family and I caught the Winter Carnival games this past weekend. What a great experience there in Houghton. I'm primarily a DIII hockey attendee and found the skill and speed of the Huskies to be quite incredible. I felt that the Huskies were lacking a leader on Friday night and sure enough, come to find out, their captain was out with injury. Saturday was a different story and yes, the MTU shots went in, the Beavers' didn't, but there seemed to be more composure from MTU on Saturday. Not to mention, the game misconduct handed out on Friday to Mark Auk was a poor call in my eyes. In fact, the officiating was questionable on several occasions over the weekend, more so on Friday. Furthermore, the MTU power play was very slow to get established, not sure if that is common for Tech or just an aberration. Either way, the Huskies secured a new fan over the weekend. Thanks for the fun Houghton and let's do it again soon!
                          The U.P. should be the 27th star on Old Glory.

Comment

Originally posted by Revs89.2 View Post
                            Good morning Tech fans and sorry to jump in the middle of your conversation. I will be coming up this weekend and if anyone is interested in saying hello, let me know a good place/time to see you. I have had a chance to chat with a few of you over on the ASU board. Have a great week!
                            I'm also coming up for a series and cannot remember the last time I was in Houghton for a series in winter. Probably 2012 when UMD last visited. Or that might have been 2011.
                            tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by AFHusky View Post

Sounds like coach gave him the nod for Friday night vs ASU.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Wi.Huskies Fan View Post
                                Found this clip on YouTube. It is about the late and great John MacInnes and what his former players thought about him and how he built a great program at MTU. Enjoy.

Right click with mouse on the link below, then left click with your mouse to watch. This should work.

https://youtu.be/E38p-rXfxgs
                                Great stuff! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Working...
                                X