This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    From here on out, it's bring your 'A' game, or go home. I think we got rather lucky in Bemidji as they got away from their usual defensively-sound game. Mankato, we got the bounces and good goaltending when we needed it. NMU we beat with great defense and more playoff experience.

To beat Notre Dame, we'll need that strong defense we used against Mankato and NMU, and better special teams play.
    Tech’s got the ace in the hole right now, the hot goalie. He’s playing strong and confident and he’s been sharp whether seeing 40 pucks or 20. And his team is willing to eat pucks in front of him. I don’t think I’ve seen a better shot blocking performance all year than I did Saturday night. This can be a very dangerous Cinderella.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      To beat Notre Dame, we'll need that strong defense we used against Mankato and NMU, and better special teams play.
      As special teams go, this team will go. 5v5 Tech can beat anyone. Limiting special teams (PK) situations is my biggest key to the game.

I like this team!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

Originally posted by Crocodile Tears View Post
        we'll never forget you Marv Parson
        I know I'll always remember Marv.

Thanks for the laugh!

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
          I think many have changed their view of the 2017-18 season significantly in the last few weeks. If you look strictly at 2018 and stop at the end of the regular season, I'll bet a lot of Tech fans expected maybe one win at BSU and then the season would be over. I mean look at the results in 2018 to close out the regular season:
          • Split at the GLI w/ loss to BGSU
          • Split at Vegas w/ loss to ASU (painful)
          • Two wins at home vs Alaska
          • Two losses on the road at Ferris
          • Split at BGSU giving up 7 goals in a loss
          • Split w/ BSU
          • Split w/ ASU (again painful for WCHA NC reasons, ASU had 8 wins all season which included two against Tech, and also wins against NMU and UAH)
          • Split w/ NMU

Tech ends the regular season without even securing home ice in the WCHA. I doubt many people expected Tech to make it past the first round of the WCHA playoffs, much less beat Manako and even fewer expected Tech to be in the NCAA Tourney.

However... Tech had some key injuries down the stretch (who are now mostly healthy) and I think most of us can agree that the team's success in March is largely due to some solid work between the pipes. The goals allowed in the March games: 3, 4, 2 (loss), 1, 0. That's trending in the right direction and that's winning hockey come tourney time. The biggest advantage for Tech is that the NCAA Tourney is one and done. They don't have to beat a better team 2 out of 3 times, just once. Every team they face will be favored over them, but they've been facing that pressure for three weeks now and this senior class has been to the tourney twice before.

Notre Dame is averaging 2.94 goals per game while their opponents have averaged 2.17 goals per game. So my simple analysis is that I'm drawing the line at 2. If Tech holds Notre Dame to 2 goals or less, Tech wins. My prediction: Tech 3 - ND 2.

Go Huskies! Go Tech!
          Ryan
          Great rundown.

I am with you. I was hoping to advance against BSU and hope for a respectable showing against MSU. I was not expecting to play in Marquette for the JS Cup. There were signs that this team could be very good and was starting to put it together. (Saturday BGSU game)

Looking back on things, this team is very similar to our team last year. We were inconsistent during the start of season until Angus was handed the job. When that happened, we tightened up and were able to go on a tear.

This year, Joe had made a comment about not understanding how come guys can't block more pucks. Don't know what the staff did, but now, the guys are blocking almost everything. I believe Packy said that his job is easy because the guys are blocking so many shots. Give credit to the guys and the coaching staff. They look like a totally different team then the one that started the season.

If we play like we did against NMU, we can beat The Domers.

Let's go Tech!!

Comment

I'd like to point out that if Clarkson and Notre Dame get out of the way like they're supposed to (hint hint!), we finally get that rematch of the 1981 quarterfinals that I just found out about on wikipedia.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
            -Blackadder
            "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
            -Casablanca
            "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
            -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
              I'd like to point out that if Clarkson and Notre Dame get out of the way like they're supposed to (hint hint!), we finally get that rematch of the 1981 quarterfinals that I just found out about on wikipedia.
              Here's what that series looked like in part.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11m2...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

We have officially announced a joint THG/Twin Cities Alumni Chapter Watch Party for Friday afternoon in New Brighton, MN at Cowboy Jacks on Silver Lake Road just west of the 694/35W interchange. If you're on facebook, please check it out and let us know if you're going so I can make sure we have room.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                  Here's what that series looked like in part.
                  https://drive.google.com/file/d/11m2...ew?usp=sharing
                  Sweet Video - Keep 'em coming. Pretty sure this one is in that video.
                  Ryan J

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                  https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                  Originally posted by geezer
                  Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                  Originally posted by manurespreader
                  ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                    We have officially announced a joint THG/Twin Cities Alumni Chapter Watch Party for Friday afternoon in New Brighton, MN at Cowboy Jacks on Silver Lake Road just west of the 694/35W interchange. If you're on facebook, please check it out and let us know if you're going so I can make sure we have room.
                    https://www.facebook.com/events/681818251941749/
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

If you missed the full pregame show or the postgame on Saturday night, you can check them out online now.

Pregame show from FoxUP - https://youtu.be/JZhkvdb3RHs

Postgame celebrations - https://youtu.be/0MDZ-q5W-mk

Comment

If you missed the full pregame show or the postgame on Saturday night, you can check them out online now.

I don't know what good ratings are for FoxUP but is there any info on what kind of ratings the game had?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                          I don't know what good ratings are for FoxUP but is there any info on what kind of ratings the game had?
                          Not an overnight market, so they have to wait a while to get the rating reports back. I'm guessing the rating and share will both be very high.

Comment

Not an overnight market, so they have to wait a while to get the rating reports back. I'm guessing the rating and share will both be very high.
                            would love to see reports of the pregame and game when you guys get them!

Comment

Thanks for posting these. I hadn't heard these interviews until now. As I was watching I saw two interesting things, both in the pregame portion.

At 11:25 into the video there is some footage of Brent Peterson scoring a goal against NMU. One of the Tech players grabs him by the jersey and pulls him into the Northern crease- for reasons I do not understand. The goalie gives him a little chop to the back of the legs. He probably deserved it.

The other thing was 9:39 into the video you see a Northern fan doing what I've seen too much at the Berry. I don't know if there's something in the water in Marquette but this stuff happens all the time there. I have never seen this in Houghton. Get it together Northern.

Comment

Originally posted by Broseph Stalin View Post
                                Thanks for posting these. I hadn't heard these interviews until now. As I was watching I saw two interesting things, both in the pregame portion.

At 11:25 into the video there is some footage of Brent Peterson scoring a goal against NMU. One of the Tech players grabs him by the jersey and pulls him into the Northern crease- for reasons I do not understand. The goalie gives him a little chop to the back of the legs. He probably deserved it.

The other thing was 9:39 into the video you see a Northern fan doing what I've seen too much at the Berry. I don't know if there's something in the water in Marquette but this stuff happens all the time there. I have never seen this in Houghton. Get it together Northern.
                                Wasn't that Tapper Mikesch pulling him in? I like it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X