Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    Marv, Merv, (Insert your own choice), doesn't really matter. That guy's just part of Tech history, nothing more. Can you imagine the egg on his face if Joe wins a title at Tech in the next few seasons...
    Ryan
    Or, better yet, in the next few weeks!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post

Even getting into the next round would be nice and frankly I do think it possible. Last year that first round match was closer than the score, it seemed Tech didn't get their jitters out.

Not sure how different this years ND from last year, as we split with ND away last year. There has to be some benefits in playing them before, though not so much for the Fr D.

As much enjoyable fun we have about marv, got to give him some credit here for getting some of these guys and building a base.

I also think Joe did a great job molding this team, getting that grittiness factor out of them. Anyone see this as a mentor and pupil match as well?
      Last edited by giwan; 03-22-2018, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
        Even getting into the next round would be nice and frankly I do think it possible. Last year that first round match was closer than the score, it seemed Tech didn't get their jitters out.

Not sure how different this years ND from last year, as we split with ND away last year. There has to be some benefits in playing them before, though not so much for the Fr D.

As much enjoyable fun we have about marv, got to give him some credit here for getting some of these guys and building a base.

I also think Joe did a great job molding this team, getting that grittiness factor out of them. Anyone see this as a mentor and pupil match as well?
        Mentor/pupil semi-final would be huge.

I think this team has gotten meaningful experience playing in Championship games in the Ice Breaker, GLI and Ice Vegas. Not to mention the growing up they did over 6 WCHA tournament road games. They are battle-tested. It's just a matter of execution now.

There are no freshmen in March.

Comment

Mentor/pupil semi-final would be huge.

I think this team has gotten meaningful experience playing in Championship games in the Ice Breaker, GLI and Ice Vegas. Not to mention the growing up they did over 6 WCHA tournament road games. They are battle-tested. It's just a matter of execution now.

There are no freshmen in March.

The is that none of the freshman played @ Notre Dame last season...
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Of the guys expected to play tomorrow, Jake Jackson, Gavin Gould, Jake Lucchini, Joel L'Esperance, Alex Smith, Tommy Beretta, Mason Blacklock, Mark Auk, and Dane Birks have game experience against Notre Dame from January 2017.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I've never been one to dwell on series histories or last meetings if they aren't this season. Two different teams are skating tomorrow.

I look more at the last 10 games or so to try and see which way a team is trending. And in the last 10 Tech has been trending in the right direction.

I like this team!

Comment

I think anyone who has played the last three weeks has more valuable experience that can be used on Friday, compared to anyone who played at ND last season. Those games at ND were just a couple non-conference games. However anything in the last three weeks was real pressure to win, which Friday will be as well, just next level up. I think this year's Tech team has been much more tested under pressure coming down the stretch than last year's team. If it translates to better results in the tourney remains to be seen.

There is no pressure on Tech to do anything in this game. Most casual fans expect them to get whooped, and handily, just because Notre Dame is the #2 seed. All the pressure is on ND to win, all Tech has to do is play the "under-Husky" role and do their thing. I'm sticking with my prediction that if ND scores two or less, Tech wins this game and gets their first tourney win since 1981.

Ryan
                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                Originally posted by geezer
                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                Originally posted by manurespreader
                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

I've never been one to dwell on series histories or last meetings if they aren't this season. Two different teams are skating tomorrow.

I look more at the last 10 games or so to try and see which way a team is trending. And in the last 10 Tech has been trending in the right direction.

I like this team!

So has Notre Dame...only team to with both their Regular Season and Tournament title in their given conference.

Comment

I think anyone who has played the last three weeks has more valuable experience that can be used on Friday, compared to anyone who played at ND last season. Those games at ND were just a couple non-conference games. However anything in the last three weeks was real pressure to win, which Friday will be as well, just next level up. I think this year's Tech team has been much more tested under pressure coming down the stretch than last year's team. If it translates to better results in the tourney remains to be seen.

There is no pressure on Tech to do anything in this game. Most casual fans expect them to get whooped, and handily, just because Notre Dame is the #2 seed. All the pressure is on ND to win, all Tech has to do is play the "under-Husky" role and do their thing. I'm sticking with my prediction that if ND scores two or less, Tech wins this game and gets their first tourney win since 1981.

Ryan
                    scoring 2 or less will get you the loss probably 90% of the time in college hockey so thats a pretty safe bet
                    Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 03-22-2018, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Ryan
                      Agree. I like your call on getting the W if they allow 2 or less against. But I don't think it's an automatic L if they give up more.

I like this team!

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post

Listening to Joe talk about coaches he admired, Merv hasn't been mentioned. If anything, the ND vs Tech game is more a mentor/pupil match-up, in Joe's mind.

Given this team it is hard to say what that magic number is. If we get through the first period and the last 2 min without melting down, we have a great chance of winning. Our keys are to block shots and stay out of the box. I have a feeling this game is going to feel a lot like the MSU (Mankato) games. We might be on our heels, playing tough D, and lull their goalie to sleep to get a goal here and there. (Original analysis there. )

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                          Listening to Joe talk about coaches he admired, Merv hasn't been mentioned. If anything, the ND vs Tech game is more a mentor/pupil match-up, in Joe's mind.

Given this team it is hard to say what that magic number is. If we get through the first period and the last 2 min without melting down, we have a great chance of winning. Our keys are to block shots and stay out of the box. I have a feeling this game is going to feel a lot like the MSU (Mankato) games. We might be on our heels, playing tough D, and lull their goalie to sleep to get a goal here and there. (Original analysis there. )
                          He's a tough goalie. If Tech gets limited shots, they better make them count.

Comment

Listening to Joe talk about coaches he admired, Merv hasn't been mentioned...
                            It's Marv. Come on man, it's only been a year and you've forgotten?

Echoing a previous remark, I do have respect for what Marv did with the program. BUT, we have a new coach and I'm rather fond of his style. Here's to Joe.

Comment

Marv, Merv, (Insert your own choice), doesn't really matter. That guy's just part of Tech history, nothing more. Can you imagine the egg on his face if Joe wins a title at Tech in the next few seasons...
                              Ryan

Meh, Shawhan won it with Mel Parsen's recruits.
                              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Really, Joe gave Mel credit for the Championship against NMU. He was well established when joining Mel's staff so it makes sense that from a mentor standpoint, the relationship with Jeff Jackson is highlighted.

I have the day off tomorrow, ready to watch both Bridgeport games and hopefully be busy again on Saturday watching the Huskies.....

Comment

Working...
                                X