Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
    When is Marv going to bring his new team to Houghton?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Hopefully never.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      uhm, Reinke and Roy both got 2-year entry level deals.

To me Reinke got the offer he wanted, so he took it. If he had not, he would have come back. The fact that he got it, to me actually says a lot about how good of a job MTU is doing at developing players. If Reinke had been drafted, he's probably back for one more year because there would not be the pressure to worry about losing out on Reinke to another team.
      It is hard to say if Reinke being a free agent "accelerated" his offer to leave after this year. Sometimes drafted players get pulled if the team has a roster slot for them that needs to be filled or the team is not happy with the coaching/development. So much of this is a case by case basis, it is hard to speculate. The important part, we are seeing players that NHL teams actively want in their farm systems.

This is because of the guys putting in the work and the coaches/staff for knowing how to coach/challenge/develop the guys. I am very impressed with where this team ended the season.

Any word on recruits we could be targeting to fill in for Reinke and Birks? Are there any other rumors about who could be leaving?

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
        IMO, it is all about where an individual sees them self playing, how they feel they are developing, and how much they like school.

Someone like Roy and Mitch might have set a goal of an AHL contract or $XXXXX per year as what it would take to get them to leave school. If Mitch had not been hurt, he would have a Matt Roy like season, and I suspect, a Matt Roy like deal. That might have been his decision point.

At a U of M you are talking about a good number of guys who are draft picks. They see their team mates leaving early for significant signing bonuses, playing time, and a fast track to the NHL, not for an ECHL contract (Looking at you Angus). Their expectations more than likely are higher as to what it will take for them to leave early.
        Kero got hurt in the playoffs. Do you think Angus would have cashed the same bonus check if that were him this year? Would that bonus check even be there with a team that wasn’t as strong defensively this year?
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
          It is hard to say if Reinke being a free agent "accelerated" his offer to leave after this year. Sometimes drafted players get pulled if the team has a roster slot for them that needs to be filled or the team is not happy with the coaching/development. So much of this is a case by case basis, it is hard to speculate. The important part, we are seeing players that NHL teams actively want in their farm systems.

This is because of the guys putting in the work and the coaches/staff for knowing how to coach/challenge/develop the guys. I am very impressed with where this team ended the season.

Any word on recruits we could be targeting to fill in for Reinke and Birks? Are there any other rumors about who could be leaving?
          Despite what Joe said in the show today, I'm pretty sure the replacements are already committed. Birks, Auk and Reinke should be replaced by Swoyer, Buckley and Carver Watson. Buckley committed after losing Harrison to poaching from Michigan. Swoyer should come in and be top 4 from the start, Buckley has a chance to be there as well until Ford returns from injury, but right now I'm pretty happy with Meek, Donohue, Ford, Swoyer, Buckley, Watson dressing most games.
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
            Kero got hurt in the playoffs. Do you think Angus would have cashed the same bonus check if that were him this year? Would that bonus check even be there with a team that wasn’t as strong defensively this year?
            In all honesty, the defense was good, scoring chances were not up, goaltending was the problem. Injury likely would kill any spring signing for just about anyone...
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              In all honesty, the defense was good, scoring chances were not up, goaltending was the problem. Injury likely would kill any spring signing for just about anyone...
              MTU had 3 goalies in 2017-18 start at least 9 games and all had winning records. In cave man voice....Defense was good, power play bad.
              The U.P. should be the 27th star on Old Glory.

Comment

Originally posted by walktheline View Post
                MTU had 3 goalies in 2017-18 start at least 9 games and all had winning records. In cave man voice....Defense was good, power play bad.
                winning %? Really? That’s how you decide whether goaltending is good? Scoring was UP from last year, PK was was down. Sv% was down, GAA was up...and let’s be honest, all that is skewed by the run they went on in the playoffs.

Comment

Tough to see Reinke go, but I think we'll be OK if he's the only early departure.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                    winning %? Really? That’s how you decide whether goaltending is good? Scoring was UP from last year, PK was was down. Sv% was down, GAA was up...and let’s be honest, all that is skewed by the run they went on in the playoffs.
                    You're missing the point Shirtless Wonder. After loosing a stud goalie from 2016-2017, the fact coach Joe had to send out 3 different goalies on 9 or more game starting situations (and they all gathered more wins than losses) shows me MTU readied them enough for battle. Minus any off ice BS, I'd say the skaters were pretty confident every night with their backstop. Heart is/was there and an improved Special Teams mindset would have the Huskies in St. Paul this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                      If Angus was here this year, I don't think we have as much instability in goal. There were several games where he "saved" the game for us. He also would have about one or two freshman mistakes a game. To my untrained eye, those looked fixable. If he could have had similar numbers to 2016-2017, he would have been in the conversation top goalie in the league.

His check most likely would have been bigger as he would have proven he could do it for two years in a row, but that is just an opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by walktheline View Post
                        You're missing the point Shirtless Wonder. After loosing a stud goalie from 2016-2017, the fact coach Joe had to send out 3 different goalies on 9 or more game starting situations (and they all gathered more wins than losses) shows me MTU readied them enough for battle. Minus any off ice BS, I'd say the skaters were pretty confident every night with their backstop. Heart is/was there and an improved Special Teams mindset would have the Huskies in St. Paul this weekend.
                        No offense but I'd disagree Redmond was a stud goalie. You might not have gone to the Denver game last spring though.
                        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                          No offense but I'd disagree Redmond was a stud goalie. You might not have gone to the Denver game last spring though.
                          No offense taken and no offense further that Redmond is the epitome of STUD in that he played one year and sold off to for a shiny contract. Purely good enough to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                            If Angus was here this year, I don't think we have as much instability in goal. There were several games where he "saved" the game for us. He also would have about one or two freshman mistakes a game. To my untrained eye, those looked fixable. If he could have had similar numbers to 2016-2017, he would have been in the conversation top goalie in the league. His check most likely would have been bigger as he would have proven he could do it for two years in a row, but that is just an opinion.
                            Agree, and I wonder how much training and development he gets now as a back up goalie for Toledo. Maybe he didn't like being academics, saw the $$$ and took it? If he stayed we would not have Packy either.

Comment

I finally got a chance to listen to the final Joe Show. A couple things he said I found particularly interesting. The first one was early on and he made a comment about the guys buying into the system and having strong practices down the stretch. Made me think he struggled to get everyone pulling on the same rope earlier in the season. Could be cause or effect but goes along with the inconsistent play and early losses. Another comment he made was during the fan question session when someone asked about recruiting to replace Reinke, Birks and Auk. He said something to the effect that they had that scenario covered until another school came in and got involved with that. Hmmm, about whom could he have been talking?

Comment

The other comment that caught my ear was that Laura wants to have the pep band and misfits over for a bonfire. That's awesome!

I like this Coach, I like this team!

Comment

Working...
                                X