Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

Big questions is whether Reinke is ok for the playoffs. I agree that having Jackson, Smith, and Brice back was big.
    Now Beretta out last night, was that a senior night thing with just night off or did he get banged up at Northern.

I think we have a good shot at Bemidji, will be exciting and would like a chance to play Mankato again to measure themselves once again.

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
      Big questions is whether Reinke is ok for the playoffs. I agree that having Jackson, Smith, and Brice back was big.
      Now Beretta out last night, was that a senior night thing with just night off or did he get banged up at Northern.

I think we have a good shot at Bemidji, will be exciting and would like a chance to play Mankato again to measure themselves once again.
      Reinke is definitely a big question for two reasons, whether he is OK for next weekend and whether he is back for next season.
      2005-2006: 7-25-6
      2006-2007: 18-17-5
      2007-2008: 14-20-5
      2008-2009: 6-25-7
      2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        NMU had their usual vocal contingent over in the east wall corner of the "other side", where NMU shoots twice. There were also a handful of others scattered throughout the arena. Maybe 200 NMU fans total?
        Thanks. Hmmm...kind of surprising that neither team traveled well...
        "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
        Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          I hadn't been to a game in Houghton since 2012, and the upgrades to the sound system and overall game production are really legit. Unfortunately, I think this has come at the expense of the Misfits' creativity and overall enthusiasm.
          The Pep Band has also unfortunately been phased out of the game day experience as well. I get it - You have a bazillion dollar HD video board, an outgoing audio/video production feed for the league you need to create and an improved sound system. All of which need to get used to justify their existence. I just feel bad for the band members that are there the whole game and don't get to play anywhere near the amount we did in the 1990s. The only breaks I recall that we did NOT fill was when the Zamboni song was being played and penalty KILLS. (Anyone recall what coach changed that tradition? I don't recall if that was the Russell era where it changed from the power play diddy to the penalty kill diddy or even before that.) Other than those few times, from 10 minutes before game time to the post game, if the puck wasn't in play, the band was playing / chanting something. Iron lungs brass and winds players and drummers with hands of steel!

Ryan J
          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
          Originally posted by geezer
          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
          Originally posted by manurespreader
          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
            The Pep Band has also unfortunately been phased out of the game day experience as well. I get it - You have a bazillion dollar HD video board, an outgoing audio/video production feed for the league you need to create and an improved sound system. All of which need to get used to justify their existence. I just feel bad for the band members that are there the whole game and don't get to play anywhere near the amount we did in the 1990s. The only breaks I recall that we did NOT fill was when the Zamboni song was being played and penalty KILLS. (Anyone recall what coach changed that tradition? I don't recall if that was the Russell era where it changed from the power play diddy to the penalty kill diddy or even before that.) Other than those few times, from 10 minutes before game time to the post game, if the puck wasn't in play, the band was playing / chanting something. Iron lungs brass and winds players and drummers with hands of steel!

Ryan J
            The biggest thing affecting the band's involvement now is the "fast faceoff" policy. In the 'old days' when there wasn't a rush to get the puck back in play, you had up to 30 seconds in between to hear an interjection from the band. I miss the intermission mini concerts too with all those great traditional numbers like The Horse, Joshua, The Stripper, Proud Mary, etc.

Comment

The two things I miss most from the band growing up are the "invasion" of a section to play the fight song from steps of a section and the then "stealthy" sneaking behind the opposing goalie to taunt him 3 times if I remember right.

Those were awesome
              MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
                The two things I miss most from the band growing up are the "invasion" of a section to play the fight song from steps of a section and the then "stealthy" sneaking behind the opposing goalie to taunt him 3 times if I remember right.

Those were awesome
                Yeah, I remember there being some personal jabs for the occasional goalie who left his MySpace or Facebook public.

The only slight improvement has been the addition of beer, however, it could be much better. That and parking (free) are the two areas I give the nod to NMU.

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk

Comment

Ryan J
                  Dave Ellis said it was changed to the PK diddy during Jamie Russell's tenure. Make's sense wince we were on the PK a hell of a lot more than the PP under him.
                  Last edited by bose301s; 02-26-2018, 09:47 AM.
                  2005-2006: 7-25-6
                  2006-2007: 18-17-5
                  2007-2008: 14-20-5
                  2008-2009: 6-25-7
                  2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Originally posted by AFHusky View Post
                    Yeah, I remember there being some personal jabs for the occasional goalie who left his MySpace or Facebook public.

The only slight improvement has been the addition of beer, however, it could be much better. That and parking (free) are the two areas I give the nod to NMU.

But... you've got the worst sitelines at the Berry. That alone means that there is no where the Berry is better.
                    MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
                      Dave Ellis said it was changed to the PK diddy during Jamie Russell's tenure. Make's sense wince we were on the PK a hell of a lot more than the PP under him.
                      It was...
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

A couple beers or a fishbowl at the Ambo before the game, give $5 to the kid freezing his *** off in the parking lot, enjoy the atmosphere that is the Mac with the pep band and misfits, possibly grab one or two from the beer garden under the suites, then celebrate the Huskies victory at the DT. How can NMU or Marquette even come close to that experience?

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                          A couple beers or a fishbowl at the Ambo before the game, give $5 to the kid freezing his *** off in the parking lot, enjoy the atmosphere that is the Mac with the pep band and misfits, possibly grab one or two from the beer garden under the suites, then celebrate the Huskies victory at the DT. How can NMU or Marquette even come close to that experience?
                          I'm not saying the overall product is better, but like almost everything else in the world there's areas that could be better.

The area formerly known as lamplighters, has no sightlines, unless there happens to be nobody standing at the rail. Even then, you can't see the near end of the rink. The section is overcrowded during intermission. Beer is limited to two options, which thankfully are KBC. I don't see why you can't bring beer to your seat with a wristband.

I've only been to three games ever at the berry, so I don't have a large sample size but I sat in comparable seats at both rinks this year. Down low around the blue line was better down there. Combinaton of the glass stanchions (seemless in mqt) and the railing along the end of the row made visibility a little worse at the Mac. Now that's only going to pertain to a few seats in the Mac and the vast majority of seats are better that the box areas at Berry (other section I've watched from).

Comment

Thanks to whoever asked the Redshirt question on the coaches show. Obviously it's a two-way street, those players have to want to come back and the coaching staff would want them for a 5th year.

What did people hear? Kero and Steman are gone if they want to move on? Birks likely signs, any other takeaways from the redshirt discussion on Joe's show?

Comment

Ryan J
                              I agree, but I think we all knew that was coming as soon as the new board was installed. Also, it's my understanding that recent players & recruits like the blend of pro-style and college atmosphere, so I'm fine with accommodating that.

IIRC, it was Russell who asked the band to change the Ditty, because they felt it was so annoying that it would be better used against opposing teams PPs. That's what I've heard, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                                Thanks to whoever asked the Redshirt question on the coaches show. Obviously it's a two-way street, those players have to want to come back and the coaching staff would want them for a 5th year.

What did people hear? Kero and Steman are gone if they want to move on? Birks likely signs, any other takeaways from the redshirt discussion on Joe's show?
                                It's always been my belief that Joe wants Birks/Steman back, Kero wants to move on, and Anderson/Blacklock are done. Listening to the show now, seems that's about what he said.
                                Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 02-26-2018, 03:13 PM.
                                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                                X