Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

Originally posted by giwan View Post
    Already hear rumors of the NMU coach being looked at as an option.
    NMU always had talent, but with Walt never could put it all together. Grant showed he can coach, but the bigger question, can he build a program? One decent year is a small sample size.

Gopher fans have tried to get rid of Lucia before. It's what they do when they get outplayed by "Jan Brady" schools. They should take comfort that North Dakota and Wisconsin are done playing. (Star Tribune hasn't yet reported his firing/stepping down.)
    Last edited by Lost_Husky; 03-20-2018, 01:07 PM.

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
      NMU always had talent, but with Walt never could put it all together. Grant showed he can coach, but the bigger question, can he build a program? One decent year is a small sample size. Gopher fans have tried to get rid of Lucia before. It's what they do when they get outplayed by "Jan Brady" schools. They should take comfort that North Dakota and Wisconsin are done playing.
      Matt Thomas kicked *** in his first year in Anchorage.

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
        NMU always had talent, but with Walt never could put it all together. Grant showed he can coach, but the bigger question, can he build a program? One decent year is a small sample size.
        An interesting side note, Walt sure did a good job recruiting, eh?
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
          An interesting side note, Walt sure did a good job recruiting, eh?
          If you go back and look at the end of last year Walt had his team rolling. They almost made it to the WCHA finals. The team had the injury bug first part of year among some side distractions as well.

Comment

Anybody traveling to Bridgeport ??

In Webster there is no Beer . . . . .

Where's a place to find a tall cold one in Bridgeport ?

Alumni Association says soda and cookies will be served at a beerless Irish Pub adjoining the rink.

Not my idea of a pre game warm up.

See you at the rink !

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
              If you go back and look at the end of last year Walt had his team rolling. They almost made it to the WCHA finals. The team had the injury bug first part of year among some side distractions as well.
              Potulney had a great season and was not a bad choice for COTY but I think Joe got sold short because they were inconsistent for most of the year.

IMO he took on a team that had lost a lot more talent to graduation and early departures, dealt with many injuries to his best players - often multiple top guns at once, had a much higher bar to meet following the success of the Marv Parson teams, got very good performance and growth from freshmen and has his team peaking at the right time.

I don't know how close the voting was, but a case could definitely have been made for Joe.

I like this team.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Oakie Brumm View Post

Alumni Association says soda and cookies will be served at a beerless Irish Pub adjoining the rink.

See you at the rink !
                Uhm, I don't think the Alumni Association understands the rules...there was a bar attached to Verizon Center in DC and it most certainly had alcohol...might want to call the Limerick Pub to verify.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Oakie Brumm View Post

See you at the rink !
                  Update- Just learned Providence has chosen Brewport as thier pre-game spot.

Brewport brewery and pizza 1,000 ft away, most of thier beer is meh, but they make a blood orange blonde ale that is really good, they also have guest taps and commercial brews. Bribe someone in a suite. Ralph and Richie's semi upscale but very good Italian Restaurant is about 1,000 ft as well. Murphy's Law Irish Pub about 1/4 mile away is probably the cheapest beer option. A place called Tiago's has been used by alumni in the past for receptions as well, never been. The surface lot across from the rink is perfect for tailgaiting as long as we don't our have 5th noreaster in a month. Forecast has sunny and mid 40's as of today. No re-entry between games.
                  Last edited by LTsatch; 03-20-2018, 06:07 PM.
                  YALE HOCKEY
                  2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                    Update- Just learned Providence has chosen Brewport as thier pre-game spot.

Brewport brewery and pizza 1,000 ft away, most of thier beer is meh, but they make a blood orange blonde ale that is really good, they also have guest taps and commercial brews. Bribe someone in a suite. Ralph and Richie's semi upscale but very good Italian Restaurant is about 1,000 ft as well. Murphy's Law Irish Pub about 1/4 mile away is probably the cheapest beer option. A place called Tiago's has been used by alumni in the past for receptions as well, never been. The surface lot across from the rink is perfect for tailgaiting as long as we don't our have 5th noreaster in a month. Forecast has sunny and mid 40's as of today. No re-entry between games.
                    I hate the no reentry rule. I'm not buying overpriced food no matter what. it's almost worth it to pay for two admissions.
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                      Uhm, I don't think the Alumni Association understands the rules...there was a bar attached to Verizon Center in DC and it most certainly had alcohol...might want to call the Limerick Pub to verify.
                      That bars entry and exits are inside the arena concourse and it has never been open for alcohol sales during the past regionals. Bring nips for bath room stall Rum and Cokes, lol.
                      YALE HOCKEY
                      2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                        That bars entry and exits are inside the arena concourse and it has never been open for alcohol sales during the past regionals. Bring nips for bath room stall Rum and Cokes, lol.
                        fair enough...different setup than the bar in DC.
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                          Potulney had a great season and was not a bad choice for COTY but I think Joe got sold short because they were inconsistent for most of the year.

IMO he took on a team that had lost a lot more talent to graduation and early departures, dealt with many injuries to his best players - often multiple top guns at once, had a much higher bar to meet following the success of the Marv Parson teams, got very good performance and growth from freshmen and has his team peaking at the right time.

I don't know how close the voting was, but a case could definitely have been made for Joe.

I like this team.

I agree completely. I was hoping Joe got the nod given all Tech lost and injuries sustained this year. This season might be one of the best coaching jobs I have seen.

Credit to the players for not giving up, working hard, and being open to change.

Let's go Tech!

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                            I hate the no reentry rule. I'm not buying overpriced food no matter what. it's almost worth it to pay for two admissions.
                            Agree 100%. Most of the time, at the F4, they have a "smoking" exit, where they will stamp your hand to go out and smoke. You can go out there and do whatever, instead of smoke, and come back in. Its a nice loophole to know about.
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                              The only thing better than the Yellow Rodents missing the cut is Tech making it. I've hated that team since 1974.

That was before time began.

Comment

I don't know if the team left last night or what, but getting into Bridgeport today is nigh onto impossible. If power stays on they might get in first thing tomorrow.
                                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                                X