Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
    At least better than the second-week-on-the-job intern the NCAA had voicing the highlight package that Tech was forced to link to. Holy dogsh*zz that was awful.
    Well it could have been worse. They could have used this guy to read the highlights package ("...and boom goes the dynamite"):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehhCvk03tNI

Bucci is a pretty die-hard college hockey guy, but I do feel Melrose is there simply because of his name. On my score card, I caught three references to Tech as "Michigan State" and Notre Dame was referred to as "North Dakota" once. So we did win that statistical category as well.

As for who would be better. I think it would be a good idea to have Bucci paired with one local radio / TV guy as his color man. John can do the play by play, but obviously someone local to the team would have way better color commetary to add to the broadcast.

Tech took this season much farther than a thought they would, however in the end, my prediction held that I though it wouldn't end well for Tech if the scoring started to add up. I had flashbacks to the NCAA tourney game vs SCSU when Watson fell down late in the game and ND went the other way on a break-away. Fortunately that wasn't the end, but the stick breaking sequence didn't leave much better of a taste in my mouth.

Tech had a heck of a run down the stretch and no doubt surprised a lot of people. On to next season. Now we'll just wait and see who remains to be a part of that team. Hopefully someone simply writes "In Overtime: Notre Dame 4 - Michigan Tech 3" on the locker room white board and it can be a source of off-season inspiration until next Fall.

Ryan

PS I honestly wonder what they put in the water in Colorado Springs. Air Force... well they did it again, and they seem to pull upsets with alarming frequency.
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post

PS I honestly wonder what they put in the water in Colorado Springs. Air Force... well they did it again, and they seem to pull upsets with alarming frequency.
      Military condition and training, both physical and mental.
      Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
      FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
      NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
      NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
      NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
      NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
      Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
      Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

• I will say one nice thing about Melrose - he's pretty much equally bad for everyone. It was worse in the old days when ESPN would trot out fat Bob Norton, who BJ'd any eastern team or kid who prepped at Woonsocket with that annoying Boston Brahmin. He was hands down the most unwatchable broadcaster in college hockey.

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

He was hands down the most unwatchable broadcaster in college hockey.
          Only because Doc Emerick doesn't do college games, Thank God!

I really do take Dirk forgranted week in and week out.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
            Well it could have been worse. They could have used this guy to read the highlights package ("...and boom goes the dynamite"):

Bucci is a pretty die-hard college hockey guy, but I do feel Melrose is there simply because of his name. On my score card, I caught three references to Tech as "Michigan State" and Notre Dame was referred to as "North Dakota" once. So we did win that statistical category as well.

As for who would be better. I think it would be a good idea to have Bucci paired with one local radio / TV guy as his color man. John can do the play by play, but obviously someone local to the team would have way better color commetary to add to the broadcast.

Tech took this season much farther than a thought they would, however in the end, my prediction held that I though it wouldn't end well for Tech if the scoring started to add up. I had flashbacks to the NCAA tourney game vs SCSU when Watson fell down late in the game and ND went the other way on a break-away. Fortunately that wasn't the end, but the stick breaking sequence didn't leave much better of a taste in my mouth.

Tech had a heck of a run down the stretch and no doubt surprised a lot of people. On to next season. Now we'll just wait and see who remains to be a part of that team. Hopefully someone simply writes "In Overtime: Notre Dame 4 - Michigan Tech 3" on the locker room white board and it can be a source of off-season inspiration until next Fall.

Ryan

I don’t think ESPN much cares about a twin cities of 11,000, and if you get that “local” guy, do you think they take Notre Dame’s “ local guy” over Tech’s??? And if they took the local guy, who does the local broadcast on the local radio station? If you take 8 local guys, then you have the other 8 fan bases ticked off.

Comment

I will say one nice thing about Melrose - he's pretty much equally bad for everyone. It was worse in the old days when ESPN would trot out fat Bob Norton, who BJ'd any eastern team or kid who prepped at Woonsocket with that annoying Boston Brahmin. He was hands down the most unwatchable broadcaster in college hockey.
              Forgot about Norton; you're exactly right.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                Forgot about Norton; you're exactly right.
                If you wanted to stalk Dick Umile and Jack “man of many jackets” Parker from prep school to prep school, Bob was the man for you.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                -Blackadder
                "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                -Casablanca
                "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

No-one is better at embellishment than Duluth is.
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Hope nobody leaves after this season. This core of returning players have some unfinished business.
                    MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
                    2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

Some very positive comments from our former coach
                      Https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...r-One-Gone.php

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                        Military condition and training, both physical and mental.
                        This. Add a full class schedule, those kids probably don't even sleep. They are machines.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Hello, coming from a Clarkson fan I thought you guys were the most exciting team at the regional by a long shot and I was heartbroken you lost that ND game especially with how it ended. Gould, L'Esperance, Lucchini are fun to watch and the way you activate your defensemen is extremely impressive and it makes us Clarkson fans jealous. I believe I've heard Michigan Tech is coming out east to Potsdam for 2 games next season with us coming to Houghton the following season so best of luck in those games, hopefully both of us will be at the top of our conference and we can both get into the national tournament next season as well.

Comment

Originally posted by techtodenver View Post
                            Hello, coming from a Clarkson fan I thought you guys were the most exciting team at the regional by a long shot and I was heartbroken you lost that ND game especially with how it ended. Gould, L'Esperance, Lucchini are fun to watch and the way you activate your defensemen is extremely impressive and it makes us Clarkson fans jealous. I believe I've heard Michigan Tech is coming out east to Potsdam for 2 games next season with us coming to Houghton the following season so best of luck in those games, hopefully both of us will be at the top of our conference and we can both get into the national tournament next season as well.
                            Thanks. The Potsdam series would be a great road trip next year. I'd love to make that one.

Good Luck to you as well.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                              As for who would be better. I think it would be a good idea to have Bucci paired with one local radio / TV guy as his color
                              You'd like to think that would make for a good broadcast, but it won't. Good broadcasts come with two people who are familiar enough with each other to understand when to lay back, knowing the other person is coming in. I'm certainly not a professional, but I have a fair amount of experience and know what it's like to work with a new person —*even people who are professionals. It doesn't even matter if it's someone that you know really well — it just takes a little bit of time. Buccigross doesn't call hockey all of the time, but there's no way that you're letting (insert WCHA PBP guy's name here) and having him Bucci as the color guy. ESPN would never go for it.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post

Ryan

It was Sweeney that fell

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X