Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
    I agree 100% with your statement about the great job the coaching staff has done bringing this team along.

My only criticism is of the early, and less but continued, negativity by Coach Shawhan towards the players. Statistically the players on this team are on par or in some cases better than the guys before them even though they were admittedly ignored to some extent by the coaching staff through there prior years development. I can't help but think that with more positive statements and reinforcement that the guys would have played with more confidence and been even better. The sophomores, juniors and seniors on this team were a big part of the conference championship last year. Lesperance led the team in points, Gould in goals, Auk and Luchinni right on their heels. To sell these guys short by continually discounting there contribution (even alluded to as late as Monday's JSH) is mind boggling to me. This senior class is the first since 72-76 to win 20 games all 4 years. They've had 2 NCAA appearances (soon to be 3), a WCHA championship (soon to be 2), numerous other tournament victories and more to come. Luchinni, Gould, Rienke (if he stays), Jackson, Smith and most of the freshman have a shot to be as good as anyone on the list that Coach Shawhan continues to rattle off. It's really time to move forward coach and give this team their due. No matter what happens Saturday this is a champion caliber team in my mind and as good as any.

I love this team! Go Huskies!!
    We can go around and around about this, but where you see negativity, I heard challenge. Stats can lie. Two players can be statistically similar, but there is significant difference between their all around game. I assume that Coach was looking at his team as a whole, looking for guys to fill team rolls/be a total player. Coach likes his hard ice, hard nosed, complete players.

A good number of our guys wanted to play a skill game and didn't want to play a gritty/hard ice game. To be fair, I only attended two Tech games, GLI championship and the Saturday @BGSU game. The difference between Tech in both games was night and day. At the GLI, BGSU physically imposed their will on us, and it started to wear on the guys as the game went on. Saturday @BGSU, BGSU came out to crush us, but we stood tall, matched their physicality, and played a complete game. To my untrained eye, it looked like a totally different Tech team. (More like the 2016-2017 team that Coach talks about.)

As with anything, there is a balance. It appears Joe has found the balance that works for this team. Players are developing. (Has anyone regressed this year?) Our Freshmen have grown and are solid contributors. Our goalies didn't roll over and quit after the long inconsistent stretch. That to me is amazing and kudos to them and the staff for working with each other.

Could things be better? Always. We need to beat NMU Saturday.

Go Tech!

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
      I agree completely. Also a shout out to the guys from "top" lines all the way down to the guys who don't play every night. They all stepped up at one point or another.

Go Tech!!
      Absolutely! I think Brice and Beretta could be as good as any forward on the team given more ice time and experience. I also think Blacklock and Anderson could have contributed way more over their 4 years, given the opportunity. Kiilunen, Rockwell and even Russell also looked good.
      I think the future is bright for MTU hockey.

Go Huskies!

Comment

So this week is dragging despite an overly busy work week.
        I am intrigued to see what type of game the title game will turn into.
        Both teams can score in bunches, and will the extra emotion cause it to be a defensive battle or a run and gun shootout.
        With Tolvanen to deal with, we need to get some screens and get him moving.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
          So this week is dragging despite an overly busy work week.
          I am intrigued to see what type of game the title game will turn into.
          Both teams can score in bunches, and will the extra emotion cause it to be a defensive battle or a run and gun shootout.
          With Tolvanen to deal with, we need to get some screens and get him moving.
          And score early.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
            And score early.
            And score often.
            Ryan
            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
            Originally posted by geezer
            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
            Originally posted by manurespreader
            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
              And score often.
              Ryan
              Neither of these are important to me.

There is only one thing that needs to happen.

We score more than Northern.
              MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
                Neither of these are important to me.

There is only one thing that needs to happen.

We score more than Northern.
                I agree, but I think with Tolvanen, that's more likely if 1 or 2 come early.

Comment

For those of you streaming tomorrow... FoxUP will stream the pregame show LIVE for FREE starting at 6pm. They will then begin streaming immediately at the end of the game for the trophy presentation, also for free. So if you don't feel like springing for the WCHA.tv show, you can at least get these two. The site is uppermichiganssource.com to find it.

Comment

It is going to be a great game, Coach Shawhan indicated the players he is concerned about for NMU. We have some guys to be worried about as well.
                    I see Gould making a big difference tonight. I think it will be 4-3 finish. Not sure if OT will be needed. Let's go Huskies!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
                      It is going to be a great game, Coach Shawhan indicated the players he is concerned about for NMU. We have some guys to be worried about as well.
                      I see Gould making a big difference tonight. I think it will be 4-3 finish. Not sure if OT will be needed. Let's go Huskies!!!!!!
                      My thought was 5-3 Tech, with NMU pulling Tolvanen early (2-3 minutes) giving Tech the opportunity to get an ENG.

Comment

Go Huskies!!

Comment

I demand $11 worth of entertainment, eh.
                          BSME 1995 | MSME 2000 | Father wasn't actually a miner on u. Malamute

Comment

• Originally posted by The Meal View Post
                            I demand $11 worth of entertainment, eh.
                            Accomplished.
                            BSME 1995 | MSME 2000 | Father wasn't actually a miner on u. Malamute

Comment

2-0 Huskies win. Way to go boys!!!

Comment

We win!!!! How sweet it is to beat the pussycats on their ice!!

Congrats guys

Comment

Working...
                                X