Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

I would like to see the fanbase get behind this team and this coaching staff (who are doing well) and root the team on to the successful completion of the season and a long playoff run.

Go Huskies...

Comment

Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
      I would like to see the fanbase get behind this team and this coaching staff (who are doing well) and root the team on to the successful completion of the season and a long playoff run.

Go Huskies...
      This is a talented team with a lot of potential. We all know that goaltending as a whole has struggled. There has also been a frustrating lack of scoring. I don't know that it's anything the coaching staff is doing or not doing. Soft goals in our zone and missed chances in theirs add up quickly.

I've said all season that if this team snaps out of its scoring funk, which I believe it can, and any of the 3 goalies gets hot, which I believe they can, this team has the talent to beat anyone in the WCHA and most in the NCAA.

I like this team!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Go Huskies...
        I think the fan base is very much still behind this team as referenced by the MTU contingents at all away contests this season. MTU showing at FSU was impressive considering the bridge was closed Friday. Very impressive numbers on Saturday.
        If you are referring to the fan base on here I believe most of us are supportive of this team, like this team, like the coaching, just looking for more consistency and more wins.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
          This is a talented team with a lot of potential. We all know that goaltending as a whole has struggled. There has also been a frustrating lack of scoring. I don't know that it's anything the coaching staff is doing or not doing. Soft goals in our zone and missed chances in theirs add up quickly.

I've said all season that if this team snaps out of its scoring funk, which I believe it can, and any of the 3 goalies gets hot, which I believe they can, this team has the talent to beat anyone in the WCHA and most in the NCAA.

I like this team!

You do realize that MTU is scoring at a higher rate this season than last right?
          They've scored 3+ goals in 12 of their last 15 games.
          Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 01-31-2018, 10:47 AM.
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            You do realize that MTU is scoring at a higher rate this season than last right?
            I brought that up previously along with the fact that they are better than last season, as coach has said many time recently, in scoring chances for, less scoring chances against. The power play percentage is almost identical to last season. PK % however is down considerably but in my opinion has to do with very poor goaltending, as again, they are giving up less scoring chances.

This is a good team, I believe in large part to a strong focus by the coaching staff to the "details" and playing the right way. Now they just need to figure out how to get one of the goaltenders to perform!

Go Huskies!

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
              I brought that up previously along with the fact that they are better than last season, as coach has said many time recently, in scoring chances for, less scoring chances against. The power play percentage is almost identical to last season. PK % however is down considerably but in my opinion has to do with very poor goaltending, as again, they are giving up less scoring chances.

This is a good team, I believe in large part to a strong focus by the coaching staff to the "details" and playing the right way. Now they just need to figure out how to get one of the goaltenders to perform!

Go Huskies!
              I'm with you...part of me thinks Joe just needs to pick one and go with or have a set rotation that is known, but they continually make him second guess any ability to do that because they keep giving up soft goals.
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I'm with you...part of me thinks Joe just needs to pick one and go with or have a set rotation that is known, but they continually make him second guess any ability to do that because they keep giving up soft goals.
                I agree with him picking one and live or die by him. There are 8 regular season games left, virtually no chance of home ice and hardly a difference in who they would play in the first round so ride 1 guy for the next 8 games and hopefully by the end of the 8 the guy is comfortable enough and confident enough to make a good playoff run. Just don't pick Munson or Beydoun, sorry guys, just my opinion for the reasons I mentioned in my previous post.

Go Huskies!

Comment

Maybe I should have been more clear. I'm frustrated with a lot of missed "Grade A" scoring chances. If you're not capitalizing on them when you're giving up soft goals it makes for a tough season.

Also, missing shots you should bury changes affects the momentum of the game a lot. I think there were a few games this year where getting that timely goal would have been worth a lot more than just one higher digit on the scoreboard.

I like this team.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                    Maybe I should have been more clear. I'm frustrated with a lot of missed "Grade A" scoring chances. If you're not capitalizing on them when you're giving up soft goals it makes for a tough season.

Also, missing shots you should bury changes affects the momentum of the game a lot. I think there were a few games this year where getting that timely goal would have been worth a lot more than just one higher digit on the scoreboard.

I like this team.

I really think Lesperance's inability to score on a lot of grade A's have hurt them a bit. Lucchini also gets a lot of grade A's and doesn't even get it on net. As coach mentioned in this weeks JSH, Lesperance could be a 30 to 40 point guy if 1) he buried more of his own grade As and 2) if his line mates would bury the grade A's he sets up for them. Not sure there is a fix, I think either you got it or you don't, but those 2 sure do get the chances. I have noticed, aside from maybe Gould, that unless we get a 1 timer off of a great pass the guys seem to just take a shot. I don't see anyone consistently trying to get the goalie to move/commit before shooting. The guys just skate in and take a shot. I remember a nice goal by Smith a few weeks back where, I believe, he accidentally fanned on it, the goalie moved, Smith recovered got the shot off and scored. He joked later that it was intentional. I honestly believe that in order to score against D1 goalies (except MTUs) you need either a screen in front, a quick pass and one timer/tap in, or some type of deceptive move that gets the goalie moving before the shot is taken. Very few goalies are going to get beat on a basic shot straight on no matter how hard it is.

On another note, does anyone have any insight as to the injury status. As of Monday on the JSH the coach said they probably would not have a full 22 man travel roster this week and from the sounds of it may need Rockwell and Russell to travel. Questionable as of Monday were Baltus, Donahue, Reinke, Misiak, Jackson, Gilles and obviously Ford is out for the season. There are 24 skaters listed on the current roster with the 7 potential injuries that leaves 17 total skaters. There are 15 forwards, 9 defenseman. 4 foward potentially out and 3 defenseman potentially out. This leaves 11 forward and 6 defenseman for game duty if all previously injured are still out. The coach did allude to other injuries suffered in the FSU series but stopped short of givng any details. It is going to be a very interesting weekend.

Go Huskies!

Comment

You mean like this?
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGVsvMju608
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Lesperance could be a 30 to 40 point guy

Go Huskies!
                        L'Esperance currently has 11 points. How do you think the W-L would look if he had 20 more?

But I can't put all the blame on one guy. What if the team as a whole had 20 more goals on the season?

Comment

I really think Lesperance's inability to score on a lot of grade A's have hurt them a bit. Lucchini also gets a lot of grade A's and doesn't even get it on net. As coach mentioned in this weeks JSH, Lesperance could be a 30 to 40 point guy if 1) he buried more of his own grade As and 2) if his line mates would bury the grade A's he sets up for them. Not sure there is a fix, I think either you got it or you don't, but those 2 sure do get the chances. I have noticed, aside from maybe Gould, that unless we get a 1 timer off of a great pass the guys seem to just take a shot. I don't see anyone consistently trying to get the goalie to move/commit before shooting. The guys just skate in and take a shot. I remember a nice goal by Smith a few weeks back where, I believe, he accidentally fanned on it, the goalie moved, Smith recovered got the shot off and scored. He joked later that it was intentional. I honestly believe that in order to score against D1 goalies (except MTUs) you need either a screen in front, a quick pass and one timer/tap in, or some type of deceptive move that gets the goalie moving before the shot is taken. Very few goalies are going to get beat on a basic shot straight on no matter how hard it is.

On another note, does anyone have any insight as to the injury status. As of Monday on the JSH the coach said they probably would not have a full 22 man travel roster this week and from the sounds of it may need Rockwell and Russell to travel. Questionable as of Monday were Baltus, Donahue, Reinke, Misiak, Jackson, Gilles and obviously Ford is out for the season. There are 24 skaters listed on the current roster with the 7 potential injuries that leaves 17 total skaters. There are 15 forwards, 9 defenseman. 4 foward potentially out and 3 defenseman potentially out. This leaves 11 forward and 6 defenseman for game duty if all previously injured are still out. The coach did allude to other injuries suffered in the FSU series but stopped short of givng any details. It is going to be a very interesting weekend.

Go Huskies!
                          Should be an interesting weekend. What I have seen from this team is they will give it everything they have. I'll be there cheering them on.

Missing chances is true with every team. I will admit it seems to happen to some players more than others. Of course they would win a lot more games if they could score more. I hope our bench can get their game legs fast and is ready for a tough physical game.

Go Tech!

Comment

For those making the trip to BG this weekend make sure you get your tickets soon. Saturday is trending towards a sellout.
                            Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

I saw #22 in the Twitter pictures from practice, any word on how many traveled for the Huskies, I think Tech will play very well this weekend.

Comment

I saw #22 in the Twitter pictures from practice, any word on how many traveled for the Huskies, I think Tech will play very well this weekend.
                                Looks like Munson made the trip also. Couldn't see the other goalie. Going to be interesting to see who starts.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X