Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 1002

Thread: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

  1. #221
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Michigan's Copper Country
    Posts
    678

    Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

    Found this clip on YouTube. It is about the late and great John MacInnes and what his former players thought about him and how he built a great program at MTU. Enjoy.

    Right click with mouse on the link below, then left click with your mouse to watch. This should work.

    https://youtu.be/E38p-rXfxgs
    MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
    2017-18 WCHA Pick'em Champion!

  2. #222
    Yellowjackets
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Superior, WI
    Posts
    316

    Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

    My family and I caught the Winter Carnival games this past weekend. What a great experience there in Houghton. I'm primarily a DIII hockey attendee and found the skill and speed of the Huskies to be quite incredible. I felt that the Huskies were lacking a leader on Friday night and sure enough, come to find out, their captain was out with injury. Saturday was a different story and yes, the MTU shots went in, the Beavers' didn't, but there seemed to be more composure from MTU on Saturday. Not to mention, the game misconduct handed out on Friday to Mark Auk was a poor call in my eyes. In fact, the officiating was questionable on several occasions over the weekend, more so on Friday. Furthermore, the MTU power play was very slow to get established, not sure if that is common for Tech or just an aberration. Either way, the Huskies secured a new fan over the weekend. Thanks for the fun Houghton and let's do it again soon!

  3. #223
    Follow me on Twitter: @Biddco Biddco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Crystal, Minnesota
    Posts
    8,773

    Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

    Quote Originally Posted by Revs89.2 View Post
    Good morning Tech fans and sorry to jump in the middle of your conversation. I will be coming up this weekend and if anyone is interested in saying hello, let me know a good place/time to see you. I have had a chance to chat with a few of you over on the ASU board. Have a great week!
    I'm also coming up for a series and cannot remember the last time I was in Houghton for a series in winter. Probably 2012 when UMD last visited. Or that might have been 2011.
    tUMD Hockey

    "And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

  4. #224
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    419

    Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

    Quote Originally Posted by AFHusky View Post
    Looks like I can finally post! I think I had an account a long time ago, but maybe I was thinking of the D2football forum. Had an issue with the activation every time I had something I wanted to post.

    Anyway, just got the Tech email that Kero was selected as WCHA goalie of the week. Not too surprised given the numbers and result of his start, although he did only play the Saturday game this weekend. One interested stat it mentions: "His .913 save percentage ranks second in the WCHA amongst goalies who have played at least nine games and his 2.43 goals against average is fourth." Also, he's 4-2-1 as the starter, which is higher than Tech's overall win percentage.

    I say start him the rest of the way, whatever happens...barring injury of course.
    Sounds like coach gave him the nod for Friday night vs ASU.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  5. #225
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Marquette, MI
    Posts
    6,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Wi.Huskies Fan View Post
    Found this clip on YouTube. It is about the late and great John MacInnes and what his former players thought about him and how he built a great program at MTU. Enjoy.

    Right click with mouse on the link below, then left click with your mouse to watch. This should work.

    https://youtu.be/E38p-rXfxgs
    Great stuff! Thanks for sharing!

  6. #226
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Michigan's Copper Country
    Posts
    678

    Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

    Quote Originally Posted by davyd83 View Post
    Great stuff! Thanks for sharing!
    Thanks davy83. I enjoyed it.
    I see the link now works. You just need to click on the link I provided.
    MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
    2017-18 WCHA Pick'em Champion!

  7. #227
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    20

    Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

    Quote Originally Posted by rustedblades View Post
    Sounds like coach gave him the nod for Friday night vs ASU.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Good to hear, I'll be there. I appreciate the recent Saturday turnarounds, but hopefully we can start the weekend off right, build confidence and momentum going into the tournament.

    The NMU series is well timed with the inherent playoff like intensity whenever the teams meet.

    Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk

  8. #228
    Michigan Tech Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    2,356

    Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

    Quote Originally Posted by rustedblades View Post
    I guarantee the guys were as upset as he was and they care about the jersey as much as he does.
    The guys might care as much about the jersey as the coach does, but none of them care as much as I do. Speaking of which...

    Just added this historical item to the collection. Worn by Winnipeg Jets prospect Jamie Phillips for three seasons (2012-2015) including Friday the 13th, February 2015 during his 1-0 triple-OT WCHA playoff win. The game ended at 18:49 of the third overtime as the longest game in the 96 year history of Huskies hockey.

    Interesting WCHA side note, the opposing goalie in that game, Carmine Guerriero of UAH, wore the blue jersey shown below when he set the WCHA record that night for most saves in a single game with 76. Phillips stopped all 32 shots he faced.

    Ryan



    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    http://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.

  9. #229
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    419

    Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

    LMAO! Nice segue!


    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  10. #230
    Armed bigblue_dl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    32,717

    Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

    Quote Originally Posted by Revs89.2 View Post
    Good morning Tech fans and sorry to jump in the middle of your conversation. I will be coming up this weekend and if anyone is interested in saying hello, let me know a good place/time to see you. I have had a chance to chat with a few of you over on the ASU board. Have a great week!
    Are you from Arizona? Do you know what you're getting into, traveling to Houghton in the winter?

    Anyway, you'll have fun, it is a great trip to make, it just takes a while to get to Houghton. Find some time to look into the history of the area, both the hockey history and the mining history. I find both incredibly intriguing. Make sure to get pizza and a fishbowl at the Ambassador in downtown Houghton. Great place, great pizza.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

  11. #231
    gfmorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Madison, AL, USA
    Posts
    7,934

    Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    The guys might care as much about the jersey as the coach does, but none of them care as much as I do. Speaking of which...

    Just added this historical item to the collection. Worn by Winnipeg Jets prospect Jamie Phillips for three seasons (2012-2015) including Friday the 13th, February 2015 during his 1-0 triple-OT WCHA playoff win. The game ended at 18:49 of the third overtime as the longest game in the 96 year history of Huskies hockey.

    Interesting WCHA side note, the opposing goalie in that game, Carmine Guerriero of UAH, wore the blue jersey shown below when he set the WCHA record that night for most saves in a single game with 76. Phillips stopped all 32 shots he faced.

    Ryan



    I'm jealous of you having that CG35 jersey, but not so jealous as to part with the figure you'd (rightly) charge me.

    Do you have the jersey where Brandon Parker really made Jamie look bad?

    GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

  12. #232
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Hockey Dead Zone
    Posts
    120

    Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Are you from Arizona? Do you know what you're getting into, traveling to Houghton in the winter?

    Anyway, you'll have fun, it is a great trip to make, it just takes a while to get to Houghton. Find some time to look into the history of the area, both the hockey history and the mining history. I find both incredibly intriguing. Make sure to get pizza and a fishbowl at the Ambassador in downtown Houghton. Great place, great pizza.
    I can second the Ambassador. Watch out for the Long Island iced tea fishbowls. They sneak up on you. If you like beer go to the KBC. Cool space to have a brew and chill. While you are in Houghton, have a pasty (meat and root vegetable filled pastry). The locals recommend ketchup. Non-locals like brown gravy.

    Bring a good pair of hiking boots as there may be some snow and not a lot of sun.

  13. #233
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    U.P.
    Posts
    402

    Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Find some time to look into the history of the area, both the hockey history and the mining history. I find both incredibly intriguing.
    Dont miss the Dee Stadium in downtown Houghton on the water. A lot of local hockey history there.

    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

  14. #234
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    158

    Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

    Thanks for all of the great recommendations! I certainly need to make a point of getting to the Ambassador. It looks fairly close to my hotel. Although my thinned out blood may think 1.5 miles in the cold is too much! I'm trying to find a jacket warm enough, but will probably have to just layer up. Few other questions and I will stop bugging you all. Is the arena cold? Wondering if I need to dress warmly inside, or if a sweatshirt will be enough. And I was intrigued by the "pasty" recommendation. Any particular place that I would go to get one of those? Sounds delicious! Thanks again. I'm looking forward to seeing your home crowd. You guys were absolutely awesome here in AZ and then in Vegas this year.

  15. #235
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    20

    Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

    Quote Originally Posted by MTUHuskies View Post
    Dont miss the Dee Stadium in downtown Houghton on the water. A lot of local hockey history there.

    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Or the Colosseum in Calumet - oldest continuously operated indoor hockey arena in North America. Michigan house is cool and historic, but their micro brew is sometimes not great. Shutes is a cool place to have a mule or craft beer, next door to the historic Calumet theater. That's assuming you have a rental to get up that way (12 mi).


    Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk

  16. #236
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    20

    Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

    Quote Originally Posted by Revs89.2 View Post
    Thanks for all of the great recommendations! I certainly need to make a point of getting to the Ambassador. It looks fairly close to my hotel. Although my thinned out blood may think 1.5 miles in the cold is too much! I'm trying to find a jacket warm enough, but will probably have to just layer up. Few other questions and I will stop bugging you all. Is the arena cold? Wondering if I need to dress warmly inside, or if a sweatshirt will be enough. And I was intrigued by the "pasty" recommendation. Any particular place that I would go to get one of those? Sounds delicious! Thanks again. I'm looking forward to seeing your home crowd. You guys were absolutely awesome here in AZ and then in Vegas this year.
    I suggest Roy's on the canal west of the bridge for pasties. The arena is pretty warm, which is the only negative of playing there..prefer the harder ice and less sweating induced at the other local rinks. Usually I wear an outer jacket into the arena and just have my jersey on during the game.

    Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk

  17. #237
    Armed bigblue_dl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    32,717

    Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

    Quote Originally Posted by AFHusky View Post
    I suggest Roy's on the canal west of the bridge for pasties. The arena is pretty warm, which is the only negative of playing there..prefer the harder ice and less sweating induced at the other local rinks. Usually I wear an outer jacket into the arena and just have my jersey on during the game.

    Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I've never gotten cold at the arena. But, I rarely get cold anywhere, so my opinion probably isn't real valid.

    Since it is a week after carnival, the snow statues should still be in a pretty good condition, hopefully. They'll be cool to check out.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

  18. #238
    Michigan Tech Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    2,356

    Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

    Quote Originally Posted by gfmorris View Post
    Do you have the jersey where Brandon Parker really made Jamie look bad?
    GFM
    I'll just say... "Not yet." They all come "home" eventually.

    The best part of that event was Jamie actually replying to the NCAA's tweet about the goal.
    https://twitter.com/NCAAIceHockey/st...80951452332032

    Ryan
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    http://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.

  19. #239
    gfmorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Madison, AL, USA
    Posts
    7,934

    Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    The best part of that event was Jamie actually replying to the NCAA's tweet about the goal.
    https://twitter.com/NCAAIceHockey/st...80951452332032
    I laughed until I cried. We razzed him a little about it.

    GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

  20. #240
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Marquette, MI
    Posts
    6,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Revs89.2 View Post
    Thanks for all of the great recommendations! I certainly need to make a point of getting to the Ambassador. It looks fairly close to my hotel. Although my thinned out blood may think 1.5 miles in the cold is too much! I'm trying to find a jacket warm enough, but will probably have to just layer up. Few other questions and I will stop bugging you all. Is the arena cold? Wondering if I need to dress warmly inside, or if a sweatshirt will be enough. And I was intrigued by the "pasty" recommendation. Any particular place that I would go to get one of those? Sounds delicious! Thanks again. I'm looking forward to seeing your home crowd. You guys were absolutely awesome here in AZ and then in Vegas this year.
    You do have several past shops in the Phoenix area. Yhe Cornish Pasty Co locations have even given love to the Upper Peninsula on their menue. Their “Oggie” is the original Yooper Pasty. When you come here, Soumi & Roy’s in Houghton andvToni’s up in Calumet are the best!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •