Beanpot LXVI: The Tong Wars Resume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
    To the hockey historians on these boards, has NU ever been the highest-rated PWR team heading into this tournament? .
    It matters not. Oh, perhaps just a bit. The goal is to be the highest rated PWR team coming OUT of the tournament, while carrying the Beanpot onto the team bus.

Comment

Re: Beanpot LXVI: The Tong Wars Resume

hopefully one of your students is co opting at the T this year and will get to tell his grandkids how he drove the beanpot back to huntington ave.
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
        To the hockey historians on these boards, has NU ever been the highest-rated PWR team heading into this tournament? Certainly not recently, and given the history of the Beanpot, I would say this must be a first.
        I would say 1982 but PWR didn't exist then.

Comment

Are we sure it wasn’t in 2009? I remember NU was pretty highly ranked that year, in addition to BU.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
            Are we sure it wasn’t in 2009? I remember NU was pretty highly ranked that year, in addition to BU.
            Going into the 2009 Beanpot, BU was #1 and NU #7 in PWR.

Comment

What makes this year's Beanpot compelling is that it's about a lot more than just local bragging rights. It's about nothing less than PWR survival. As of today, NU is #14; BU is #20; BC is #21; Harvard is #23. And for those unfamiliar with PWR, #15 is the actual cutoff because of the Atlantic Hockey autobid.

So, the team that wins both games not only wins the Beanpot but also significantly improves its PWR standing. The team that loses both games is likely consigned to PWR oblivion. The team that splits probably stays in PWR Limbo.
              "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                What makes this year's Beanpot compelling is that it's about a lot more than just local bragging rights. It's about nothing less than PWR survival. As of today, NU is #14; BU is #20; BC is #21; Harvard is #23. And for those unfamiliar with PWR, #15 is the actual cutoff because of the Atlantic Hockey autobid.

So, the team that wins both games not only wins the Beanpot but also significantly improves its PWR standing. The team that loses both games is likely consigned to PWR oblivion. The team that splits probably stays in PWR Limbo.
                Given the parity in Hockey East, I wouldn't consider 15 a safe place. Right now PC is well above any other HE school in terms of PWR, but there is certainly a good chance of another team taking home the tourney title and knocking out an at large bid. I can't speak for the other conferences.
                BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                  hopefully one of your students is co opting at the T this year and will get to tell his grandkids how he drove the beanpot back to huntington ave.
                  and if we are fortunate to get through both rounds, (longshot).. we'll be sure to tip every felafel guy.. er, bu alum we see on that ride back...
                  just gotta make it first... Go Pats!
                  GO NU HOCKEY
                  Always bullish on the future.
                  We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                    Given the parity in Hockey East, I wouldn't consider 15 a safe place. Right now PC is well above any other HE school in terms of PWR, but there is certainly a good chance of another team taking home the tourney title and knocking out an at large bid. I can't speak for the other conferences.
                    Trust me, absolutely nobody in Husky Nation thinks 15 (or even 14) is a safe place, unless it's the day after the last day of the regular season. And I wouldn't regard PC safe at #12 at this point. One bad weekend and they're back on the bubble.
                    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                      and if we are fortunate to get through both rounds, (longshot).. we'll be sure to tip every felafel guy.. er, bu alum we see on that ride back...
                      just gotta make it first... Go Pats!
                      patsies were favorites....
                      red headed step children are favorites....

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        patsies were favorites....
                        red headed step children are favorites....

of course.. like i said.. gotta make it first, baby

great bowl, gotta spread the love.
                        and for you.. there's a real football team in the state of pa.. & it ain't the steelers..
                        GO NU HOCKEY
                        Always bullish on the future.
                        We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                          of course.. like i said.. gotta make it first, baby

great bowl, gotta spread the love.
                          and for you.. there's a real football team in the state of pa.. & it ain't the steelers..
                          Why you think mookie was pulling for the patsies anyhow?!?!

Comment

G'luck NU :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
                              KRACH ratings of teams going into the Beanpot:

17 - NU
                              18 - BU
                              22 - BC
                              24 - HU

{subject to some minor shifting due to late scores}

Very close grouping.
                              "Nice grouping."

Comment

No Harper yet again for BU with presumably lingering effects from his illness. Also no Krys. D-man Farrance playing as a forward on BU's 3rd line.

Comment

Working...
                                X