No announcement yet.

Beanpot LXVI: The Tong Wars Resume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• great post defkit. We went to the Head of the Charles this past year... have noticed over last couple yrs, not attended like it used to be, by far.
    GO NU HOCKEY
    Always bullish on the future.
    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

• Re: Beanpot LXVI: The Tong Wars Resume

Originally posted by defkit View Post
      There is no doubt in my mind that cellphones/social media are a huge factor. I have two teenage boys, and if I would let them, they would spend all their free time on their phones, only taking a break to get on the X-Box (and by the way, they still want their phones while they play, so they can keep an eye on things, should they not be able to respond to a post/snap/tweet within seconds, heaven forbid). It is really scary to think of what the impact is going to be 10 and 20 years down the road. Having the screen time isn't the issue, it is all the things they AREN'T DOING, like going to a hockey game, reading a good book, getting creative outdoors, etc. Heck, even wandering a mall with friends would be a welcome social interaction at this point. Maybe other generations of parents had similar issues to deal with, but I feel like so we are the guinea pigs, unfortunately.
      100% agree.

Comment

Also agree and taking defkit's thesis a step further, the addictive nature of social media and gaming seems to promote an indifference toward traditional competitive sports. Kids increasingly just don't see sports as relevant.

BTW, was watching recaps on the NHL Network last night and was taken by the number of empty seats in some places. Not happy times for sports marketing folks.
        "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
          There is no doubt in my mind that cellphones/social media are a huge factor. I have two teenage boys, and if I would let them, they would spend all their free time on their phones, only taking a break to get on the X-Box (and by the way, they still want their phones while they play, so they can keep an eye on things, should they not be able to respond to a post/snap/tweet within seconds, heaven forbid). It is really scary to think of what the impact is going to be 10 and 20 years down the road. Having the screen time isn't the issue, it is all the things they AREN'T DOING, like going to a hockey game, reading a good book, getting creative outdoors, etc. Heck, even wandering a mall with friends would be a welcome social interaction at this point. Maybe other generations of parents had similar issues to deal with, but I feel like so we are the guinea pigs, unfortunately.
          1000% agree

Comment

Get Off Mookie's Lawn!!!!!!!!!!
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Split-N View Post
              I think the primary (but not only) reason for the drastic drop in hockey interest is that the game has effectively priced out kids from blue collar and middle class families. Just visit your local hockey shop and look at the price tags. Until recent years, ordinary kids who knew they had no shot at college or pro hockey would still play at a recreational level because a stick, helmet, and basic protective equipment was affordable. So they played, had fun, and developed an attachment to the game that they carried with them into adulthood.

Beyond equipment costs, the stratospheric expenses associated with elite travel programs also puts hockey beyond the reach of kids of modest means that have elite potential. And then there is the youth hockey culture that all too often seems so pre-occupied with grooming elite players that kids who just like to play get marginalized or ignored. And too many of them get frustrated and quit. The modern-day Eruziones/Craigs/O'Callahans/etc., are still playing sports. It's just not hockey.

So hockey has become a rich man's game and now finds itself paying the price in terms of plummeting interest at both the college and pro levels. Houston, we have a problem.

Just my BTC.00000000000000000000000002
              He shoots! HE SCORES!!

I don't need a $300 hockey stick to play. Give me a $40 wooden stick that won't shatter anytime.

$900 for hockey skates?

This is getting worse than golf.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I'm proud to report that I will be at Friday night's game at Agganis with my teenage son. Yes, he wants to go and he'll be paying attention the entire game. #Doesn'tOwnASmartPhone

I totally agree with the shift in viewing/attention spans. Heck, I fall victim to it myself. (Look a squirrel!)
                It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  He shoots! HE SCORES!!

I don't need a $300 hockey stick to play. Give me a $40 wooden stick that won't shatter anytime.

$900 for hockey skates?

This is getting worse than golf.
                  My son is so tired of me explaining that Bobby Orr used crappy skates (by today's standard) and Wayne Gretzky scored most of his goals with a wooden stick. He knows I will never spend more than $180 for skates for him and $90 for a stick.

The good thing is that for players that aren't really good (this group includes both my son due to age and me due to ability), the new sticks last a long time (much longer than the wooden ones did - those blades -used to get mashed up pretty good). I used to go through at least 3 wooden sticks per season, I have had the same $75 composite stick for about 4 years.
                  BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

I'm sure NU fans are thrilled about this but I feel like Adam Gaudette should have been picked for the Olympic team

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                      I'm sure NU fans are thrilled about this but I feel like Adam Gaudette should have been picked for the Olympic team
                      Absolutley. Also, after Sikura and Davies played in the Spengler Cup for Canada I thought it was a real possibility we'd be without at least 2 of the 3. With all 3 still here and Greenway in South Korea, it really feels like it better happen on Monday, or it's never gonna happen.
                      2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
                      2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Plus, I'd be surprised if Gaudette returns next year. Whole top line gone. Harvard finally did it last year. Time to get it done, Huskies.

Comment

For those who won't be in the Boston area next Monday, Northeastern is hosting Beanpot watch parties in NYC, Northern NJ, Austin, San Diego, West Palm Beach, and Washington, DC (Crystal City). Info and sign-ups: https://alumni.north...ern.edu/events/. Not necessary to be an NU alum to attend.

Pretty sure BU also has some watch parties.
                          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Adam committed the unforgivable sin of not playing for the USNDT. He was missing that "pedigree". Another excuse was that he had lacked international experience - as if that really mattered - ignoring the fact that he is probably faster that another local player who was picked, and how he would have benefitted from playing on the larger ice . He also developed as a player later than many of the players the coaches were familiar with. Blame or credit to coaching he got at NU.

Political games permeate certain sports where the composition of the teams is totally subjective.
                            Give me the top three finishers in the trials any day!
                            Last edited by HHound; 02-09-2018, 03:39 PM.

Comment

I have a feeling I'm going to be very upset that he wasn't picked come Monday night.

This is the year. Primeau is very impressive, and I can see him, combined with that fire power, finally breaking the streak.
                              BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

It took a few days but they finally came out with an attendance figure for Monday night: 13,567

Comment

Working...
                                X