Beanpot LXVI: The Tong Wars Resume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Beanpot LXVI: The Tong Wars Resume

Regarding attendance - we have the same arguments here in University at Buffalo discussion forums. Everyone thinks there's something specifically wrong with their crowds at their games, when in fact this is a general problem across almost all college sports. There is an immense competition these days for people's time and attention, and it's too easy to just sit at home and follow sports (often from higher levels of play). Everyone says "our fanbase is big enough that we should never have a problem filling the arena/stadium." Maybe this is just a period when the powers that be can't simply assume everyone will show up, they're going to have to put some effort into marketing and making sure it's a fun time. Even something like the Beanpot.
    Let's Go Huskies!

Northeastern University '02

Comment

Logic would dictate that you find the price point at which consumers will purchase your product, and that may be lower than what it used to be. Seems sports in general, and BU/college hockey in particular, are struggling with that concept. "Whaddaya mean we can't charge $50 bucks a ticket for the Beanpot anymore? 30 years ago people would pay scalpers more than that!" Beanpot should be a lower cost event that attracts families and friends of alums to check out a the game. If its going to cost you $200 bucks to walk in the door, clearly far too many people are saying screw that.
      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Mookie loves the “well it’s cheaper than the nhl....”
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

LOL I knew we would see the chest thumping about how many sections of fans NU had

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
            LOL I knew we would see the chest thumping about how many sections of fans NU had
            there was no chest thumping. someone asked a question.. it was answered.
            thats all, mr. westfield state
            GO NU HOCKEY
            Always bullish on the future.
            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
              Great post! And I suspect we'll be seeing similar comments about attendance at Regionals in a few weeks.
              Get ready for that Allentown regional! Maybe they can get Billy Joel to perform.

Comment

Originally posted by McBain75 View Post
                Regarding attendance - we have the same arguments here in University at Buffalo discussion forums. Everyone thinks there's something specifically wrong with their crowds at their games, when in fact this is a general problem across almost all college sports. There is an immense competition these days for people's time and attention, and it's too easy to just sit at home and follow sports (often from higher levels of play). Everyone says "our fanbase is big enough that we should never have a problem filling the arena/stadium." Maybe this is just a period when the powers that be can't simply assume everyone will show up, they're going to have to put some effort into marketing and making sure it's a fun time. Even something like the Beanpot.
                100% correct. Unfortunately, I believe it goes beyond that. Not sure that marketing will help much. I'm quite sure people are "aware" of the events, but you have a generation of "observers." We PARTICIPATED in things. We didn't have social media, ESPN, a million games on every second, and "organized" activities. We PLAYED ball after school. We didn't get driven to "organized" practices where the "good" players play and the rest sit and watch. We ALL played. We mimicked our "idols" that we saw on TV (Yaz grabbing his crotch and spinning the bat, Fisk stepping out and staring at the bat with one foot behind him, Cousy with his one-hand push shot). That's how we learned...by DOING. You're not going to be "involved" by just looking at a Tweet about some game. We WENT to games because it was the only way to watch sports. We had three TV channels (Channels 4 5 and 7 and later 38 and 56). Some of us could get Channel 9 in Manchester or 10 in Providence (BTW I realize you are not local, but since this is a Beanpot thread I am speaking mostly to the local folks). There was a game on once a week. Channel 2 (PBS) would show college hockey maybe 5 times a year (usually Harvard). It was a different world. Personally, I don't think you will EVER see the audience participation as it was in "peak" times. Those days are gone forever. Frankly I think some of these schools are building arenas that are too large. I would buy into the concept that it is also to hold "other" events, like concerts, except that there are so many regional civic centers and mid-sized arenas now that I'm not even sure how long it will be before those are obsolete as well.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                  Get ready for that Allentown regional! Maybe they can get Billy Joel to perform.
                  Nobody will be able to go. They're spending time filling out forms and standing in line...

(BTW he has a channel on Sirius/XM - Channel 30 - for a limited time. On his show he actually explained that song...it was meant to describe Bethlehem, a few miles down the road, but Bethlehem didn't rhyme with anything. He explained how it was easier to write "Well we're living here in AllenTOWN and they're closing all the factories DOWN" and that it just didn't sound right to use "Bethlehem". Interesting stuff...)
                  Last edited by chickod; 02-07-2018, 11:40 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
                    Frankly I think some of these schools are building arenas that are too large. I would buy into the concept that it is also to hold "other" events, like concerts, except that there are so many regional civic centers and mid-sized arenas now that I'm not even sure how long it will be before those are obsolete as well.
                    the rest of your post is very good...
                    but the above, so very valid... and wait until the AI, AR applications hit in home entertainment.. gonna be a very different world & not sure how the dance around this goes...
                    except to embrace it, incorporate it somehow and hope for the best.
                    GO NU HOCKEY
                    Always bullish on the future.
                    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Actually, it's head scratching about how many sections of fans Boston College DID'NT have!
                      "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Beanpot thread in 2011 had 759 posts.
                        Beanpot thread in 2017 had 214 posts.

Through the years the number of posts have declined in general. I'd be curious to see if posting on the message boards overall have gone down over the years too.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                          Frankly I think some of these schools are building arenas that are too large. I would buy into the concept that it is also to hold "other" events, like concerts, except that there are so many regional civic centers and mid-sized arenas now that I'm not even sure how long it will be before those are obsolete as well.
                          I bet if BU and BC could magically replace their current arenas with versions containing about 2,000 fewer seats, they'd do it today. I've been to a handful of games at each rink, and the only one that sticks out to me as being even remotely full was the BU-BC game at Agganis last season, which was listed as a sell-out and looked pretty close to having every seat filled. Otherwise, I've never seen either arena more than 75% full. Same goes for Matthews and Bright, though those are obviously smaller buildings and the teams that play there aren't powerhouse brands like the other two Beanpot schools.

I bet UNH would also love to lower their capacity, since they never fill the Whitt anymore. And they seemingly used to sell out every game even within the past decade.

Comment

The Beanpot this year means more to NU than any other school. So not a surprise that they're showing up in greater #'s and good for them. Good chance for them to finally win it this year and I'd expect them to contribute the vast majority of fans on Monday who make it to the arena.

I'm also speculating in BU and maybe BC's case the teams aren't as good as they have been in years past and there's no marquee players like Eichel skating around, so its not exactly a have-to-be-there event.
                            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

This problem is not specific to the Beanpot. I recently tuned into a Minnesota-Notre Dame game on ESPN2 and there were tons of empty seats in Minneapolis.

From a BC perspective, I can go back and watch highlights from home games say 5 years ago and beyond...Conte Forum is packed. Not the case anymore and student turnout is abysmal.

Comment

This problem is not specific to the Beanpot. I recently tuned into a Minnesota-Notre Dame game on ESPN2 and there were tons of empty seats in Minneapolis.

From a BC perspective, I can go back and watch highlights from home games say 5 years ago and beyond...Conte Forum is packed. Not the case anymore and student turnout is abysmal.
                                There is no doubt in my mind that cellphones/social media are a huge factor. I have two teenage boys, and if I would let them, they would spend all their free time on their phones, only taking a break to get on the X-Box (and by the way, they still want their phones while they play, so they can keep an eye on things, should they not be able to respond to a post/snap/tweet within seconds, heaven forbid). It is really scary to think of what the impact is going to be 10 and 20 years down the road. Having the screen time isn't the issue, it is all the things they AREN'T DOING, like going to a hockey game, reading a good book, getting creative outdoors, etc. Heck, even wandering a mall with friends would be a welcome social interaction at this point. Maybe other generations of parents had similar issues to deal with, but I feel like so we are the guinea pigs, unfortunately.
                                BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Working...
                                X