Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Beanpot LXVI: The Tong Wars Resume

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    ...Congrats on the victory, btw. Please keep it up and do the conference proud.
    Scarlet: You and I prefer different breeds of dogs but I'm humbled by your graciousness. You're the best. Same for Stirlippo and others from Beanpot and other HEA schools who have posted congratulatory messages. We college hockey fans may be a bit rough around the edges but, in the end, we're a class act.

Joining you in hoping the kids do the conference proud. But there's still business to be taken care of before they get to that point and, as everyone knows, there are no easy opponents in HEA.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
      Scarlet: You and I prefer different breeds of dogs but I'm humbled by your graciousness. You're the best. Same for Stirlippo and others from Beanpot and other HEA schools who have posted congratulatory messages. We college hockey fans may be a bit rough around the edges but, in the end, we're a class act.

Joining you in hoping the kids do the conference proud. But there's still business to be taken care of before they get to that point and, as everyone knows, there are no easy opponents in HEA.
      Actually, if Terriers were to go on another win streak.. (they are absolutely capable of).. they may sneak in the tourney & will have chance to.

I'm not sure about chances of 3 teams making it from HE.. and obviously I'd like NU to be one of them.. but depending on how teams take care of their remaining H.E gms.. there is a chance both or neither may go & perhaps a dark horse eventual HE Champion + maybe Providence may be it.

Right.. its the Beanpot thread.. back to cloud 9...
      GO NU HOCKEY
      Always bullish on the future.
      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

30 years is a **** long time (I was there at the Garden in 1988, so I know). Congrats Huskies, and enjoy!
        Boston University CAS'88

GO BU!

Comment

Originally posted by wysi View Post
          30 years is a **** long time (I was there at the Garden in 1988, so I know). Congrats Huskies, and enjoy!
          Me too! And 1984 and 1985 as well!

And aw shucks, thanks for the kind words, and totally unnecessary. I'm sincere in my wishes. In the interest of full disclosure, I did leave after the second period last night. More because I was disappointed in my team, but I'm fighting a cold and was exhausted (d@mn these Olympics being on the other side of the world!!). And I was taking the T cuz I didn't want to spend half a paycheck parking in the Garden garage. I did get home in time to see the celebration, though. Man, I miss that. Enjoy it!!

While I hold out the tiniest of hopes for BU to move forward this season, somewhat doubtful that it will happen at this point. And I would truly enjoy seeing you guys go far. Because with HE having a down year, it would be awesome to throw the rivalry to the side for a few weeks and see your team do some damage. And no offense to the Eagles fans here, I just cannot bring myself to do that when BC is in the mix.

Comment

Oh for the love of God. Get a grip. No one, including USCHO, seems to understand that Northeastern University is NU. You were just the latest to make that mistake and I was happy to see someone from Northeastern correcting that mistake. Also, they're in the Beanpot EVERY year so as a matter of fact, they have been there many times. A western hockey fan, and all hockey fans and humans, should be able to discern NU from the school's name - Northeastern University. It's not that difficult.

Northwestern University is also NU. Strangely the University of Nebraska also is referred to as NU, not UN? Not sure why? But its not confusing to B1G fans because 95% of B1G fans refer to Northwestern University as NW & Nebraska as NU/NE/Neb. So GO FIGURE, that a B1G hockey fan might not see how referring to NU as NE, could be deemed so offensive?

And Michigan was established before Minnesota and Missouri, all 3 are technically UM, as is Miami, not the one in Ohio. But 99% of Gopher fans will not rip on you or anyone for referring to Minnesota as UMn, or UMinn, or UMin, or Minny, etc., but that's just us? Everyone is different, no one is necessarily right or wrong, are they?

But hey, congrats on the win! Might be the win that gets NU into the NCAA tourney?
            Last edited by FredsDeadFriend; 02-13-2018, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Fred making friends again
              Originally posted by SJHovey
              Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
              Originally posted by Brenthoven
              We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

[QUOTE=FredsDeadFriend;6603972...But what you as a NU fan perceives as an egregious sin, honestly isn't, or shouldn't be......But hey, congrats on the win![/QUOTE]

Ummm Fred.....Scarlet is a BU fan.
                "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post
                  "for the love of God"? Too bad ppl don't care as much about His nomenclature as they do their local sports team's. As for my post from last night, I apologize, I was out of line. But what you as a NU fan perceives as an egregious sin, honestly isn't, or shouldn't be. Why??
                  I'm not an NU fan. I'm a little hurt you don't remember my response to you in the MN thread. Or read any of my other posts here that weren't directed to you because you would know what school I root for. And who said it was an egregious sin? I was glad an NU corrected someone who referred to his school incorrectly.

Northwestern University is also NU.
                  And they're never referred to as NW. It's always NU wherever I see it.

Strangely the University of Nebraska also is referred to as NU, not UN? Not sure why? But its not confusing to B1G fans because 95% of B1G fans refer to Northwestern University as NW & Nebraska as NU/NE/Neb. So GO FIGURE, that a B1G hockey fan might not see how referring to NU as NE, could be deemed so offensive?
                  I was informed by a former poster (Puck Swami for those who remember) here that schools in a certain conference or two out west were University of XXX, but the acronym was XU. So University of Kansas is KU, University of Denver is DU, University of Colorado is CU and so on. I would imagine fans in the B1G would know this given the proximity. Apologies for making that assumption.

And Michigan was established before Minnesota and Missouri, all 3 are technically UM, as is Miami, not the one in Ohio. But 99% of Gopher fans will not rip on you or anyone for referring to Minnesota as UMn, or UMinn, or UMin, or Minny, etc., much less be "offended", lol.
                  Well, that's because all of those are correct ways of referring to the school's name.

So honestly, the person who needs to "get a grip", might be... anyone getting offended by something so petty and trivial?
                  No, I'm thinking it's the person who has written a dissertation about a simple mistake that he can't own up to. I hate typos. It shows a lack of professionalism and knowledge and attention to detail. But hey, if that's how you want to appear, who am I to ask you to change?

But hey, congrats on the win!
                  My team lost last night, but thanks for the sentiment. I'll share it with the NU fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                    Ummm Fred.....Scarlet is a BU fan.
                    The original person who "corrected" me, is that poster also a BU fan?

And since it wasn't BU that I supposedly misspelled, but NU, I was addressing NU fans.

Why a BU fan would feel so strongly about it is beyond me?

Comment

The original person who "corrected" me, is that poster also a BU fan?

And since it wasn't BU that I supposedly misspelled, but NU, I was addressing NU fans.

Why a BU fan would feel so strongly about it is beyond me?
                      Nope. Original poster is a Northeastern fan. I was thanking him for correcting you. Not my place to correct people who get it wrong when it's not my school, you know? And, well, maybe it's a character flaw of mine but it annoys me when people get a name wrong. My last name is constantly misspelled and it's frustrating. I don't get emails because people don't know how to spell. Or pay attention. Especially when it's friends and long time colleagues. Your name is truly the only think you own that is yours alone. Same should hold true for names of schools. Get it right. And if someone corrects you, don't throw a hissy fit.

Comment

Nope. Original poster is a Northeastern fan. I was thanking him for correcting you. Not my place to correct people who get it wrong when it's not my school, you know? And, well, maybe it's a character flaw of mine but it annoys me when people get a name wrong. My last name is constantly misspelled and it's frustrating. I don't get emails because people don't know how to spell. Or pay attention. Especially when it's friends and long time colleagues. Your name is truly the only think you own that is yours alone. Same should hold true for names of schools. Get it right. And if someone corrects you, don't throw a hissy fit.
                        "a hissy fit"? lol whatever, sure, whatever you say. You win. I give up. It's just sports Scarlet, I mean, NU is a business, not a church or a deity, right? I don't know, but I give up. I apologized, tried explaining how I meant no ill intent, none of that was good enough for you for who knows what reason? I was surprised to know that you were "hurt" because I didn't remember you? So for that I am sorry as well. At least for the rest of this season I probably won't forget you now? lol And if it means anything, I frequent more than one site, so it's harder to remember everyone, I'm getting older, I was dropped on my head as a baby by my parents.

But what I am wondering, does NU get a Trophy for winning the Beanpot? Is it like the Stanley Cup with every winning team listed on it? Maybe one of you has a pic to post?

It's too bad chk doesn't have an NCAA selection committee because winning a late season tourney like this would be a nice signature win I would think? The win didn't seem to affect the PWR much at all? Maybe down the line it will? Now NU can lose to BU in the conf title game and it won't, all by itself, probably be enough to swing that PWC in BU's favor.
                        Last edited by FredsDeadFriend; 02-14-2018, 12:06 AM.

Comment

"chk"
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

This is a total shot in the dark but if anyone knows where I might be able to pick up a replica puck with the Beanpot logo on it, please pass along a lead. TD Garden didn't have any when I looked, and I can't find anything online. Willing to happily pay for one too. Thanks y'all.
                            "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                              This is a total shot in the dark but if anyone knows where I might be able to pick up a replica puck with the Beanpot logo on it, please pass along a lead. TD Garden didn't have any when I looked, and I can't find anything online. Willing to happily pay for one too. Thanks y'all.
                              if you can get permission to re-print the Beanpot logo from the powers that be.. these guys will make a custom one for you. Not sure if you needed just one or more. (there is a 25 puck minimum on custom orders with the co. below, gluck).

http://www.hockeypucks.com/custom-pucks.php
                              GO NU HOCKEY
                              Always bullish on the future.
                              We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

While I hold out the tiniest of hopes for BU to move forward this season, somewhat doubtful that it will happen at this point. And I would truly enjoy seeing you guys go far. Because with HE having a down year, it would be awesome to throw the rivalry to the side for a few weeks and see your team do some damage. And no offense to the Eagles fans here, I just cannot bring myself to do that when BC is in the mix.
                                we know and yes, here! here! for NU going far, Providence did it, NU can too.

Comment

Working...
                                X