Beanpot LXVI: The Tong Wars Resume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beanpot LXVI: The Tong Wars Resume

Time flies when you're having fun and it's suddenly 10 days from puck drop for the 66th Beanpot. This is one of those years when all four teams (even BU) are legitimate contenders. The thing is literally up for grabs.

In addition to the silver pot, this year's edition carries enormous PWR implications for all four teams. Because of HEA's atypical unconscionable record against out-of-conference opponents and Harvard's meh overall record, all four teams are essentially at or below the PWR cut line. So the team that carries home this year's Beanpot also carries some measure of PWR redemption while the one that loses twice is likely consigned to PWR oblivion.

Let the hype begin.
    Last edited by Split-N; 01-25-2018, 07:51 AM.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Re: Beanpot LXVI: The Tong Wars Resume

Harvard ended their drought last year, perhaps it is time for the Hounds to do the same thing.
    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

This could be the year, Husky pals! I know I'm certainly rooting for you. Biggest hurdle is arguably the first round game against BC; although, Harvard is finally consistently playing well and might sneak up on some teams because of their slow start to the year and middling record. Not sure what to make of BU. The talent is there, and maybe it'll take over a couple games and allow them to win the thing.

This will be the first year since 2012 that I won't be able to make both rounds, but I'm looking forward to attending the championship game, at least.

Comment

*yawn*
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

There's certainly a lot of optimism over on Huntington Ave (the student ticket allotment sold out in a couple of hours and the school apparently had to get a supplemental) and some buzz is apparently developing. As one poster over on Diehard Dogs pointed out, "We have been very good this season, but we've thus far botched several chances to be great."

This weekend's series vs Providence and the coming Beanpot present great chances for this very talented team to take that next step.

Comment

if it happens for us this yr.. wont't believe it until after the finals gm is over, assuming they make it.

much like the nu hockey east championship from 2 yrs ago... if/ when the beanpot happens, will only believe it after that final buzzer. yes, its been that long.
            Go Huskies
            GO NU HOCKEY
            Always bullish on the future.
            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Come on Huskies, you're due!!!

Harvard's best player will be in Korea for the Final. One of BU's top 6 forwards will be in Korea for the consolation game against BC.
              It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                *yawn*
                Jealousy simply doesn't become you. Your little pedigreed(y) doggies will need to beat NU or BC twice in the finals to get within sight of them and PC in the PWR. Perhaps you should your sophs and frosh that next year's employers will we watching!
                Last edited by HHound; 01-25-2018, 11:46 AM.

Comment

To me, this is the least interesting Beanpot I can remember.

- BU is a team that really has no identity and is teetering on the relevancy brink. And with so many mercenaries, does the Beanpot even matter to BU anymore?
                  - BC is a blue collar, pedestrian team. A far cry from the Eagles of old with their speed, puck movement, and finish. Watching them last year against BU in the Beanpot first round was difficult. I'd never seen a BC team be so outclassed on the ice.
                  - Harvard loses its best player (and the best player in the tournament) after Round 1 and similarly, has really struggled for consistency all season long in all 3 zones. Untimely goaltending, defensive give-aways, and a lack of finish.
                  - Northeastern is always a team of late that should be better than what they are. By far the most offensively gifted team in the tourney, but can it win meaningful games or will it continue to be a team that has a tendency to get in its own way.

If I had to bet, I would bet on Northeastern. And while this tourney may seem more up in the air than most, it just has a pedestrian feel to it. I don't see any team here wining more than 1 game at the NCAA tourney and it would not surprise me to see all 4 Beanpot schools miss the NCAA tourney.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                    ..and it would not surprise me to see all 4 Beanpot schools miss the NCAA tourney.
                    ...this is true though i hope a couple teams make it.
                    once you get in.. who knows! we've had denver losing to dartmouth.. & notre dame losing to sacred heart...

anyway, consistency has been an achilles heel for the beanpot lot!
                    GO NU HOCKEY
                    Always bullish on the future.
                    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                      ...BC is a blue collar, pedestrian team...
                      With respect, I'll have to take serious issue with that. BC hasn't been truly blue collar since Snooks Kelley days, when he loaded the roster with tough, in-your-face kids from Southie, Charlestown, and similar gritty locales. These days, BC is very much hockey aristocracy.

But it's not entirely BC's fault. The hockey establishment has effectively priced the true blue collar kids out of the sport. Just visit your local pro shop and look at the price tags. And that doesn't begin to consider the costs associated with elite or travel teams, the off-season specialized training camps, etc., etc., etc. The present-day incarnations of the Eruziones, Craigs, and O'Callahans (yeah, I know they're BU guys) are still playing sports. But it's probably not hockey.

Comment

Having seen all four teams, Northeastern is the tournament favorite.
                        When has that EVER happened?
                        Even their four wins in the 1980s, they would not have been "favorites."
                        The college hockey world is upside-down.

Comment

I understand what he meant by blue collar. Not sure if you were being sarcastic but they are blue collar on the ice. Some good talent but not enough to get by on without working hard.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                            I understand what he meant by blue collar. Not sure if you were being sarcastic but they are blue collar on the ice. Some good talent but not enough to get by on without working hard.
                            Fair enough. All I am saying is that when BC takes the ice, Nathan gerbe, Brian gionta, etc - won’t be walking through that door.

I miss watching those Eagles....

Comment

That part was to Split-N. I think you're right about them being a blue collar team on the ice. Very similar to last year. Still transitioning from when they lost all those players. Next year should be a very good team.

Comment

Working...
                              X