Beanpot LXVI: The Tong Wars Resume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Beanpot LXVI: The Tong Wars Resume

I think marketing plays a big role. There is none.

Not only should each individual school be badgering students to buy tickets (which NEED to be cheaper, btw) from the second they set foot on campus in September; whichever organization runs the Beanpot needs to do more than throw a few recycled TV ads on NESN every year in January. Do outreach with youth leagues; run a social/digital campaign to attract young alumni; and for the love of God, start promoting it earlier! I remember a few years back they didn’t even have the ticket landing page on their archaic website ready for use until December. Pathetic.

Comment

• Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
      I think marketing plays a big role. There is none.

Not only should each individual school be badgering students to buy tickets (which NEED to be cheaper, btw) from the second they set foot on campus in September; whichever organization runs the Beanpot needs to do more than throw a few recycled TV ads on NESN every year in January. Do outreach with youth leagues; run a social/digital campaign to attract young alumni; and for the love of God, start promoting it earlier! I remember a few years back they didn’t even have the ticket landing page on their archaic website ready for use until December. Pathetic.

I agree with your ideas but a game that ends at midnight on a school night will be a tough sell to a lot of 10 / 12 year old leagues.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
        I agree with your ideas but a game that ends at midnight on a school night will be a tough sell to a lot of 10 / 12 year old leagues.
        Sure, but worth a shot since they don't currently offer ANYTHING in terms of outreach to local hockey communities. High school teams, prep teams, travel leagues etc. may jump at the chance to get their players to an event like this.

Comment

NU winning tomorrow night will help. BU & BC winning every ****ing year is bad for the brand.
          It Happened!!!!

Comment

Crotty and Olsson expected to play, Harper not expected to play, says Quinn per the BHB.

Remains to be seen if Griffin will be in for NU. He missed Friday.
            "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Game Day!!!
              "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

I'm rooting for Northeastern tonight, but most of all, I'm just rooting for chaos. Let's see a repeat of the 2011 final!

Also, my friend did some digging and found that tonight's game will likely be a sell-out. Great news. Hope the atmosphere is crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                  Harper not expected to play, says Quinn per the BHB.
                  Not just not expected, he was ruled out. BHB's coverage of Harper's health status has been horrible. It took three weeks of him not dressing for them to even report a single thing on it. At this point all that's been reported is he has the flu but no one has asked or been able to get any further info on his long-term status or why this has taken so long.
                  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                    Not just not expected, he was ruled out. BHB's coverage of Harper's health status has been horrible. It took three weeks of him not dressing for them to even report a single thing on it. At this point all that's been reported is he has the flu but no one has asked or been able to get any further info on his long-term status or why this has taken so long.
                    As best i can tell he has not played since 1/6? There must be more to the story?

Comment

Future reporters..... “talk about”....

Nobody asks a question anymore.

Fake news

a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        Future reporters..... “talk about”....

Nobody asks a question anymore.

Fake news

Amanda Bilionis to Dustin Johnson ("I'm going to ask you the same question I asked you last week...")

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                          BHB's coverage of Harper's health status has been horrible.
                          Their coverage of the team this year overall has not been good. It has kind of been on a downward trek the last few years but it has been especially noticeable this year. Did they have a large season preview issue this year? I don't remember. I would check but their website is down the day of the Beanpot Championship.

Comment

Or how about this: "Take us through that last goal."

"Um....he gave me a good pass, I shot and scored."

Insightful....I remember a quote from the 1976 Olympics (it's always stuck in my mind). It was from US hockey player Steve Jensen: "I looked up and it was in the net."

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                              Or how about this: "Take us through that last goal."

"Um....he gave me a good pass, I shot and scored."

Insightful....I remember a quote from the 1976 Olympics (it's always stuck in my mind). It was from US hockey player Steve Jensen: "I looked up and it was in the net."
                              Ugh, I hate that so much of their game coverage are verbal rehashes of the goals. If I want to know how every goal materialized I would watch the highlights. I would guess some of the people in the athletic department's PR department must be laughing hysterically at how easy their job has been this semester keeping the media members off DQ's back. For heaven's sake, our leading scorer suddenly doesn't play and no one at the Freep bothers to ask "Coach, why didn't Patrick Harper suit up tonight?" or "Coach, your leading scorer hasn't played in a month. Just how sick is he? Is his general health all right? Is this a season-ending thing?" All 100% legitimate questions to ask a coach, not one of which seemingly has been asked or reported on. If they did ask and DQ didn't respond, then write that. Sports Journalism 101 - Team A's best player doesn't play, ask the coach why.
                              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                                Ugh, I hate that so much of their game coverage are verbal rehashes of the goals. If I want to know how every goal materialized I would watch the highlights. I would guess some of the people in the athletic department's PR department must be laughing hysterically at how easy their job has been this semester keeping the media members off DQ's back. For heaven's sake, our leading scorer suddenly doesn't play and no one at the Freep bothers to ask "Coach, why didn't Patrick Harper suit up tonight?" or "Coach, your leading scorer hasn't played in a month. Just how sick is he? Is his general health all right? Is this a season-ending thing?" All 100% legitimate questions to ask a coach, not one of which seemingly has been asked or reported on. If they did ask and DQ didn't respond, then write that. Sports Journalism 101 - Team A's best player doesn't play, ask the coach why.
                                Packages

Comment

Working...
                                X