Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 486

Thread: Boston University 17-18 - thread El Segundo

  1. #61
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fitchburg, MA
    Posts
    3,243

    Re: Boston University 17-18 - thread El Segundo

    Incidentally, interesting name for the arena (Oceanside Ice Arena). Just exactly which “ocean” is Tempe, AZ near??
    Last edited by chickod; 01-27-2018 at 10:48 PM.

  2. #62
    2009 NCAA Champions Sean Pickett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Posts
    2,145

    Re: Boston University 17-18 - thread El Segundo

    Quote Originally Posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
    The eight goal margin of victory might be the largest since I've been a fan. I recall a few 9-2 wins and a 7-0 win, but no 8-goal wins. Maybe a question for Sean?
    Yesterday's game was the 120th in which BU outscored their opponent by at least 8 goals. The last time it happened was six years ago on 21 January 2012 when they defeated Providence at Schneider Arena by an identical 8-0 score. I have posted the complete list of games for those who are interested in looking at it.

    Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

    Watch BU Hockey highlights
    NCAA Hockey Financials

  3. #63
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    517

    Re: Boston University 17-18 - thread El Segundo

    Man, that was hard to watch.

  4. #64
    defkit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    North Shore, MA
    Posts
    2,887

    Re: Boston University 17-18 - thread El Segundo

    Well, not the prettiest of games, but a win is a win.
    - Thankful to have the stream for sure, but the lack of replays was a bummer. And the frequent switch to the camera at ice level inside the left blue line was more of a distraction. I had to keep resetting my perspective.
    - Ice time for the 3rd and 4th lines was very limited in the second half of the game. Of course all the special teams situations didn't help.
    - What was the deal with two penalties at the same time against BU late in the third? I wasn't paying attention and all of a sudden they say it's going to be 5-on-3.
    - It hurt losing Tkachuk for such a long stretch for his misconduct. We need him out there regularly, with the way he has picked up his game.
    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

  5. #65
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by defkit View Post
    There were a couple big blowouts of Denver (I think) at WBA in the early 90's, something like 9-0 and 11-1. I think the BU fans cheered for Denver when they finally got a goal on the second night.
    I think Chris Bise played in one of those games.

  6. #66
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    BU
    Posts
    2,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    Yesterday's game was the 120th in which BU outscored their opponent by at least 8 goals. The last time it happened was six years ago on 21 January 2012 when they defeated Providence at Schneider Arena by an identical 8-0 score. I have posted the complete list of games for those who are interested in looking at it.

    Sean
    This was only the third one since my freshman year. I remember the 9-1 win over UVM, but have absolutely no memory of the 2012 game against Providence.

  7. #67
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    517
    Quote Originally Posted by defkit View Post
    Well, not the prettiest of games, but a win is a win.

    - What was the deal with two penalties at the same time against BU late in the third? I wasn't paying attention and all of a sudden they say it's going to be 5-on-3.
    Crotty and Diffley both got holding penalties. Precedent was set with the triple minor/misconduct call earlier.

    And Tyler Busch...oy. At least they slapped him with an unsportsmanlike and misconduct at the end of the game. Probably just for his body of work tonight.

    The pucks out of play, penalties, nets off, weird offsides...they play a different game in the desert.

  8. #68
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,067
    Quote Originally Posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
    This was only the third one since my freshman year. I remember the 9-1 win over UVM, but have absolutely no memory of the 2012 game against Providence.
    They beat Providence the day before or after 7–1 in Boston too

  9. #69
    Super Serial
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Back to Comm. Ave
    Posts
    2,893

    Re: Boston University 17-18 - thread El Segundo

    That rink is a funhouse. The ceiling is so **** low that anything remotely high is out of play. The nets are barely stuck on with tiny pins and the ASU goalie definitely "accidentally" knocked it off multiple times early in the game during long periods of BU pressure. Three times in the first four minutes of the game. Both teams gooned it up, a dumb game overall. Glad to get a W without Krys and Harper and so many guys out for long penalties. The major PP occurred with our full top line in the box. The officials had no control of the game nor knew certain rules.

  10. #70
    Opposite Girl
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Meffa, MA
    Posts
    29,306

    Re: Boston University 17-18 - thread El Segundo

    That was the longest 60-minute game I’ve ever sat through. I was seriously worried I was going to miss my red eye flight!

  11. #71
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    38,033

    Re: Boston University 17-18 - thread El Segundo

    Quote Originally Posted by chickod View Post
    Hmmmm....that's a long way from China. Is this job golf-related or something else? Are you previewing the course for the European tour?
    something else
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

  12. #72
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    38,033

    Re: Boston University 17-18 - thread El Segundo

    boys moved up to #23 now in pwr!!!! look at that improvement
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

  13. #73
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: Boston University 17-18 - thread El Segundo

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    Yesterday's game was the 120th in which BU outscored their opponent by at least 8 goals. The last time it happened was six years ago on 21 January 2012 when they defeated Providence at Schneider Arena by an identical 8-0 score. I have posted the complete list of games for those who are interested in looking at it.
    Eight of those 120 games came in the 1970-71 NCAA championship season. Included three wins by 10 or more.
    Averaged a 7-2 win (210GF,60GA) for the entire season. Easily the most dominant BU team of all time.
    http://goterriers.com/documents/2017...ll.pdf?id=2886 (pg.97)
    Last edited by Rogie21; 01-28-2018 at 12:23 PM.

  14. #74
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    133

    Re: Boston University 17-18 - thread El Segundo

    Quote Originally Posted by brassbonanza View Post
    That rink is a funhouse. The ceiling is so **** low that anything remotely high is out of play. The nets are barely stuck on with tiny pins and the ASU goalie definitely "accidentally" knocked it off multiple times early in the game during long periods of BU pressure. Three times in the first four minutes of the game. Both teams gooned it up, a dumb game overall. Glad to get a W without Krys and Harper and so many guys out for long penalties. The major PP occurred with our full top line in the box. The officials had no control of the game nor knew certain rules.
    Hope you had a good trip out, Brass. Last night was a goofy game all around. I have no idea what the deal was with the goals coming off all night. I have never seen that. Makes me wonder if the ice was soft. Outside air temps can really impact that old building. Fortunately for us, we finally have some movement towards our new rink for 2020-21. Maybe you all can come back out when that is done. Enjoyed chatting with some of your fans. Had a nice older gentleman in our section who travels all around watching the team. It was fun talking college pucks and being a born and raised Vermonter, it was fun hearing that this daughter went to UVM. Best of luck to BU the rest of the way out. The Beanpot has always been appointment watching for me and look forward to that coming up. Lastly, ASU is coming to your place next year, maybe I can talk my wife into going back ... Again, good luck the rest of the way out!

  15. #75
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    298

    Re: Boston University 17-18 - thread El Segundo

    Quote Originally Posted by Revs89.2 View Post
    Hope you had a good trip out, Brass. Last night was a goofy game all around. I have no idea what the deal was with the goals coming off all night. I have never seen that. Makes me wonder if the ice was soft. Outside air temps can really impact that old building. Fortunately for us, we finally have some movement towards our new rink for 2020-21. Maybe you all can come back out when that is done. Enjoyed chatting with some of your fans. Had a nice older gentleman in our section who travels all around watching the team. It was fun talking college pucks and being a born and raised Vermonter, it was fun hearing that this daughter went to UVM. Best of luck to BU the rest of the way out. The Beanpot has always been appointment watching for me and look forward to that coming up. Lastly, ASU is coming to your place next year, maybe I can talk my wife into going back ... Again, good luck the rest of the way out!
    Hopefully you will come twice and only play one game a year against us
    Schedule is bad enough with 2 exhibition games

  16. #76
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    133

    Re: Boston University 17-18 - thread El Segundo

    Quote Originally Posted by DLG View Post
    Hopefully you will come twice and only play one game a year against us
    Schedule is bad enough with 2 exhibition games
    I assumed it was two and don't think we could make that trip if it was only one, but I don't think it was specified. As an independent, we have to take the games when we can get them.

  17. #77
    Opposite Girl
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Meffa, MA
    Posts
    29,306
    Quote Originally Posted by Revs89.2 View Post
    I assumed it was two and don't think we could make that trip if it was only one, but I don't think it was specified. As an independent, we have to take the games when we can get them.
    We’ll come out open the new arena! Good trip. Too short, though.

  18. #78
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    133

    Re: Boston University 17-18 - thread El Segundo

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    We’ll come out open the new arena! Good trip. Too short, though.
    Awesome to hear you enjoyed it, Scarlet. And that would be incredible to get someone of BUs caliber to open the new building. The new place can't get here soon enough!

  19. #79
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    38,033

    Re: Boston University 17-18 - thread El Segundo

    Mookie could be stateside for that and give it a go.

  20. #80
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    BU
    Posts
    2,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Revs89.2 View Post
    I assumed it was two and don't think we could make that trip if it was only one, but I don't think it was specified. As an independent, we have to take the games when we can get them.
    Some western teams come to Boston and play us one night and BC, Northeastern, UMass-Lowell, or whomever the other night. That might've been what he was referring to.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •