X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 17-18 - thread El Segundo

Originally posted by Tater View Post
    Should BU finish in 5th, BU would travel up to Maine. When was the last time THAT has happened in the playoffs!?
    This has happened once, thanks to a measles outbreak at the University of Maine: a 3-1 semifinal game loss to Maine at Alfond Arena on 9 March 1990.

BU has hosted Maine three times in the quarterfinals: 1985 and 1994, both two game sweeps at Walter Brown Arena, and 2009, when BU won the series, 2 games to 1.

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
    BU Hockey highlights and extras
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
      At this point, I think it's safe to assume it's academic or an NCAA violation, not illness. With the timing of when it started, the first game of the spring semester - too coincidental. What was the source way back at the beginning? Was it a direct quote from Quinn? My best guess as to why the Freep isn't asking more questions is they know what's up but were told by their source (probably Quinn) not to print it.
      No, it's not safe to assume that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
        This has happened once, thanks to a measles outbreak at the University of Maine: a 3-1 semifinal game loss to Maine at Alfond Arena on 9 March 1990.

BU has hosted Maine three times in the quarterfinals: 1985 and 1994, both two game sweeps at Walter Brown Arena, and 2009, when BU won the series, 2 games to 1.

Sean
        If memory serves, in 94 Maine was actually very good but finished in 8th due to having to forfeit a bunch of games. BU as the #1 seed, got the "reward" of having to play them in the first round.

Comment

Harper still out this weekend per Freep. No details.
          This is the weakest season of coverage from the Freep in memory. They don't follow up on even the most basic questions. Maybe they are public relations majors now.

Comment

Originally posted by DLG View Post
            pretty sure Quinn originally said is was illness.
            All information I've heard is that it is indeed illness of some kind and has nothing to do with anything in the realm of suspension. That the Freep has let Quinn off the hook repeatedly by not asking very reasonable follow-up questions or holding him to his prior quotes on the subject, is disappointing. For instance, last week they quote Quinn as saying they'd "know more next week." This week, no indication that they even asked if he knew more. I understand this is his health and no fan is entitled to know the nitty gritty of his health records and status. But it is reasonable to expect those covering the team to ask the right questions in reference to prior information/promises given by the coach. Another example - Quinn said Harper was a "game-time decision" for the 2/1 UMass game. Going into the following Monday's Beanpot opener Quinn said he was day-to-day and "could play." Suddenly he's now unilaterally ruled out for weeks in a row. It's reasonable to ask what changed in his status and if the coach says he's not going to disclose Harper's health condition, then that's fine - report that you asked and that's what the answer was.

Originally posted by DLG View Post
            How many places had Greenway gone after Olympics
            Fortunately nowhere reputable that I saw. Just a few internet posters speculating.
            Last edited by brassbonanza; 02-22-2018, 11:44 PM.
            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

If memory serves, in 94 Maine was actually very good but finished in 8th due to having to forfeit a bunch of games. BU as the #1 seed, got the "reward" of having to play them in the first round.
              Maine was middling overall, going 17-13-4 on the ice and 12-8-4 in conference play, although that was good for third place. That would have had Maine hosting Boston College, a team they went 1-1-1 against, including 0-1-1 at Alfond. So, well they likely would have been favored, I'm not sure they would have won (although BC did lose to UNH in the quarterfinals). Hockey East actually banned them from the postseason, but Maine got an injunction which allowed them to play the games.

At least those forfeits were in season, unlike the retroactive forfeits for the 1991-92 season which gave UNH the "reward" of being the regular season champion after the fact. Not that it likely mattered for UNH, as they lost to Maine in the championship game. However, BU would have benefited by in season forfeits as they would have been the #2 seed and gotten to play Northeastern, a team they went 4-0 against in the regular season. Instead they had to play BC, a team they went 0-2-1 against in the regular season, before losing to the Eagles in the quarterfinal game.

Sean
              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
              BU Hockey highlights and extras
              NCAA Hockey Financials
              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
                This is the weakest season of coverage from the Freep in memory. They don't follow up on even the most basic questions. Maybe they are public relations majors now.
                Agreed and following Twitter for game updates which I do often the tweets are bland and uninformative. “Carpenter scores 2-1” “Goal disallowed” “BU penalty” . Post game articles not posted timely.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tater View Post
                  Technically, BU can finish tied for 3rd but lose the tiebreaker to NU for seeding purposes.

If BU gets the 4th seed, they would host either Maine, UConn, or UML.

3 points this weekend over UVM clinches 4th seed. Any points lost by Maine this weekend lowers that number.

Should BU finish in 5th, BU would travel up to Maine. When was the last time THAT has happened in the playoffs!?
                  So basically, they are in control of their own destiny? If they sweep Vermont, or get at least theee points, they’re 4th? Meaning, we don’t need something else to happen in addition to them getting at least three points to secure 4th?

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                    So basically, they are in control of their own destiny? If they sweep Vermont, or get at least theee points, they’re 4th? Meaning, we don’t need something else to happen in addition to them getting at least three points to secure 4th?
                    Correct. BU can possibly clinch 4th seed tonight with a win over Vermont and either a Maine loss or tie at BC. Since the Maine/BC game starts 30 minutes before BU/Vermont we should know that result before the end of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                      No, it's not safe to assume that.
                      He looked like he was suffering from quite the sickness at the World Juniors.

Comment

I don't have any info, but in reference to the fact that at one point DQ indicated Harper was a game time decision - sometimes diagnoses can change, and if they thought the issue was X, based on that, they thought he might be able to play, then learned that he really had Y, which required a different approach?
                        BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                          I don't have any info, but in reference to the fact that at one point DQ indicated Harper was a game time decision - sometimes diagnoses can change, and if they thought the issue was X, based on that, they thought he might be able to play, then learned that he really had Y, which required a different approach?
                          This.
                          The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Isn't part of the 1994 story that the Ferraro brothers came back from the Olympics and joined the team for that series at WBA? (Kariya went pro post Olympics.)

That was quite the series.
                            It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                              Completely agree. My point was that the Freep reporters never reported any of this and we're left to assume it. And if they were to ask that and DQ said they're trying a different treatment plan/complications came up/etc. and he didn't want to disclose specifics for Harper's privacy that's absolutely reasonable. But to not ask the question after being given an injury status one week that suddenly changed the next week is not doing due diligence.
                              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Greenway is back in the line-up as top line center with Tkachuk and Crone, while Bobo moves to RW with Bowers and Melanson. Bottom six stays the same.
                                Donato is playing for Harvard tonight.
                                The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X