This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 17-18 - thread El Segundo

So, different viewpoint. What if BU was playing in the consolation game? Still an OOC game. I'm thinking in that case we'd prefer tonight's game?

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
      I'll take the opposite viewpoint. I'd rather see them win tonight. A finish in the Top 4 is very important. Conceding that the schedule has been soft lately, the team's play has improved significantly. A Top 4 finish with the return of Greenway, Krys and Harper and this team could compete for postseason title. If Harper does return, maybe skate him on the 3rd line with Amonte and Curry?
      Yeah, I am baffled by the Monday night folks. Someone below said something along the lines of "We shouldn't have a problem getting a first-round bye" with a loss tonight. That is simply not true. I don't think we will fall to 7th but anywhere from 1-6 is still very much attainable. If we win out in conference games (entirely possible), ask BC if they think they will have 2 or more losses down the stretch. That is the difference right now. We can definitely catch PC. They are two points ahead and we have a game on them. I know 5th gets a first round bye, but I would not have much confidence that this team could go on the road and win a series at Lowell, Maine, PC.

Additionally, being 1-2 against NU is not as beneficial as not being 1-1 against UMass is in the PWR. (On a side note, I think if you said we'd have a fourth opportunity to play NU, going 2-2 against NU might help us more than 1-1 against UMass hurts us, but that is speculating too far down the road into the HE semis). Our best bet for making the tournament is winning out our conference games, getting as high up in the standings as we can get, having a home QF series against an opponent that gives us as high a chance as possible to go 2-0 against them, and getting to the Garden. We are only 4 or so spots out from getting in the tournament right now. I think being one of the last 16 teams is more important than winning a Beanpot, especially considering all these conversations we've been having about the 'pot losing some of its national prestige.

Bottom line, I think tonight is a must win and with all these guys missing or potentially missing, I'd really like to see a win-at-all-costs mentality with guys like Amonte, Curry, Olsson, etc. stepping up and getting the gritty W.

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post

Bottom line, I think tonight is a must win and with all these guys missing or potentially missing, I'd really like to see a win-at-all-costs mentality with guys like Amonte, Curry, Olsson, etc. stepping up and getting the gritty W.
        Huge opportunity for those guys.

“Great moments are born from great opportunities.”
        -- Herb Brooks
        It Happened!!!!

Comment

Yeah, I am baffled by the Monday night folks. Someone below said something along the lines of "We shouldn't have a problem getting a first-round bye" with a loss tonight. That is simply not true. I don't think we will fall to 7th but anywhere from 1-6 is still very much attainable. If we win out in conference games (entirely possible), ask BC if they think they will have 2 or more losses down the stretch. That is the difference right now. We can definitely catch PC. They are two points ahead and we have a game on them. I know 5th gets a first round bye, but I would not have much confidence that this team could go on the road and win a series at Lowell, Maine, PC.
          Well, that was me and I stand by that. In fact, I'll say they should still finish top-4. BU is currently in 4th, with noting Maine 1 pt behind with a game in hand. Let's look at remaining schedules of those chasing us for 4th.

BU: (UMASS L); @UConn, @MC, vs VT, vs VT

Maine: @PC, @UNH, vs BC, @BC. @BC

UML: @BC. @UMASS, @PC, vs PC, @MC, vs MC

BU has it clearly easier going out and should, yes should, nab at least 4th.

Your point that I accede to would be it hurting BU's chances to go up in the standings in this increasingly hypothetical argument (where is Todd with this HEA standings thread when we need it?), but I'll take a Beanpot if BU can finish top 4. Hopefully, BU gets at least Carpenter back tonight, wins both, and all this is moot.
          Last edited by Tater; 02-09-2018, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
            So, different viewpoint. What if BU was playing in the consolation game? Still an OOC game. I'm thinking in that case we'd prefer tonight's game?
            Well sure, that changes the dynamics completely. Winning tonight would be an easy answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
              Huge opportunity for those guys.

“Great moments are born from great opportunities.”
              -- Herb Brooks
              Aside from the 2OT win over ND in the NCAAs, I still think the highlight of last season was the OT home win against #10 Union with 7 of our guys away in the World Juniors. Boy, what an exciting game that was!

Comment

Yeah, I am baffled by the Monday night folks. Additionally, being 1-2 against NU is not as beneficial as not being 1-1 against UMass is in the PWR.
                Yes, admittedly I said I didn't "check" the PWR predictor before expressing my preference. My choice was based solely on what I speculated would gain the most PWR points. I don't really care about "top 4" in the league. If finishing 5th is that devastating, then we don't deserve to get to the NCAA's anyway. Given the up and down nature of this team, it's not terribly likely that they are going to go all the way and get the auto-bid anyway, so to me, the PWR points are paramount. But if you say winning tonight is more important in that regard, then I'll take your word for it!

In any event, it's got nothing to do with "winning the Beanpot means a successful season." For me it's strictly about getting as high as we can in the PWR.

Comment

- I was going to bring up Tater's "JFK vs. Union", but in response to going into tonight missing so many quality players.

- I want the Beanpot. Either this team is going to keep their run going or it isn't. If it does, they'll either get in the NCAA's by winning the HE Tourney, or they'll get close enough to inch up in the PWR. If they don't get that far, then they weren't going to do anything in the NCAA's anyway - that's how I'm looking at it.
                  BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Additionally, being 1-2 against NU is not as beneficial as not being 1-1 against UMass is in the PWR.
                    I don't see how this would be the case.

BU wins the pair vs UMASS even with a loss tonight and that won't change.
                    A win over NU would get BU closer in that pair.
                    BU would get an RPI quality win bonus by beating NU as they are in the top 20 in RPI.
                    Besides that, with all the tweaks in past years, PWR is basically RPI except in rare circumstances.

Regardless, a loss in either game would put a large dent in BU's already small chance to get a PWR at-large.

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
                      I don't see how this would be the case.

BU wins the pair vs UMASS even with a loss tonight and that won't change.
                      A win over NU would get BU closer in that pair.
                      BU would get an RPI quality win bonus by beating NU as they are in the top 20 in RPI.
                      Besides that, with all the tweaks in past years, PWR is basically RPI except in rare circumstances.

Regardless, a loss in either game would put a large dent in BU's already small chance to get a PWR at-large.
                      It is tough to give an exact answer to this because I can't sit here and make predictions on the outcome of every game across the country. But if BU beats UMass and no other games happen this weekend, we move up to 15. If we beat NU after beating UMass and, again, no other games are played, we do not move. If we lose to UMass, we fall to 20th, then follow up with a win against NU, we move to 19th (again, with no other games being played). Sure, we can lose to UMass and beat NU and have it be positive if several of the teams just in front of us lose one or two games this weekend. But in general, I think it is best that we beat UMass tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                        - I was going to bring up Tater's "JFK vs. Union", but in response to going into tonight missing so many quality players.

- I want the Beanpot. Either this team is going to keep their run going or it isn't. If it does, they'll either get in the NCAA's by winning the HE Tourney, or they'll get close enough to inch up in the PWR. If they don't get that far, then they weren't going to do anything in the NCAA's anyway - that's how I'm looking at it.
                        Yeah I don't think we will do anything in the NCAA tournament. But I think it is very important for our program to make that tournament every year.

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
                          Well, that was me and I stand by that. In fact, I'll say they should still finish top-4. BU is currently in 4th, with noting Maine 1 pt behind with a game in hand. Let's look at remaining schedules of those chasing us for 4th.

BU: (UMASS L); @UConn, @MC, vs VT, vs VT

Maine: @PC, @UNH, vs BC, @BC. @BC

UML: @BC. @UMASS, @PC, vs PC, @MC, vs MC

BU has it clearly easier going out and should, yes should, nab at least 4th.

Your point that I accede to would be it hurting BU's chances to go up in the standings in this increasingly hypothetical argument (where is Todd with this HEA standings thread when we need it?), but I'll take a Beanpot if BU can finish top 4. Hopefully, BU gets at least Carpenter back tonight, wins both, and all this is moot.
                          I agree with you that with the schedule we have remaining, we need to seal the deal and get a top 4 spot. I guess it is semantics, but if we lose tonight, I see it less likely that we will get that top 4 spot. But I really do believe that if we go 5-0 down the stretch in conference, we have a very good shot at winning the regular season title. Sure we need some help, it's not like we control our own destiny. But I think the other five teams in the mix have a decent chance of beating each other up enough that we can get 10 points and no one else will get the 6+ points they need. It is going to take some work. We need to take care of UMass while undermanned. We need to not screw around on the road next weekend. But it is definitely possible.

Comment

On a side note, apparently we would be 8th in the PWR right now if we hadn't stupidly tied UConn, blew our 7 out of final 10 minutes of PP time last month against PC, and beaten UMass-Lowell instead of losing 3-2 in a game that I thought we outplayed them in.

Comment

Even when you guys were racking up the Ls I tried pointing out the ridiculously easy schedule 2nd half of the year. I saw this coming. Based on that I still have no idea if BU is any good. I'd be pretty surprised if they came away with all 10 points from the remaining league games though. Probably a slip up in there somewhere. UConn and Vermont playing better lately. At Merrimack not always the easiest of games.

Comment

According to Quinn quote in Freep article, everyone (not Greenway obviously) is available except for Harper. Harper still day-to-day (illness). So Carpenter and Krys should be playing.

Comment

Working...
                                X