This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PPGuru View Post
    I had a different thought. Could the NFL move the Super Bowl to Saturday Night? The teams will have had 13 days to prepare. That should be enough time. Then America has all day and night Sunday to recover and go back to work on Monday. I'm not an advertising guy but is airtime on Sunday that much better than airtime on Saturday? That also creates a night off between the Super Bowl and the Beanpot for us (though I know the NFL really doesn't consider us/the Beanpot as something to worry about.
    As northeastern mentioned we are not on their radar at all. I would agree though that sat night would be better for the super bowl in almost every way.

Comment

• Re: Boston University 17-18 - thread El Segundo

Originally posted by walrus655321 View Post
      I don't think the ticket price is a problem. $45 for loge seats to TWO games? Hard to top that.

but it's still a better deal than a Bruins game.
      This is the problem. The Bruins have priced out many of their fans. Now college hockey is doing the same thing.

Even a cheap bastard like me that eats at Qdoba before entering the Garden can't go 6 hours without food. So the $45 is really $45 for a ticket, $20 for minimal food and drink, and $40 for parking = $105. If I want to bring one of my boys, it is now $170.

It's just gotten out of hand.
      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

I don't think the ticket price is a problem. $45 for loge seats to TWO games? Hard to top that. Maybe they need something for the upper few rows of the balcony like they do for HECs, but the tickets they cut the prices for are the upper rows at the ends of the balcony and those fill up with students. Yeah, maybe the parking/concessions/etc turns some people off but it's still a better deal than a Bruins game.

I missed the first 4 minutes of NU's game for the first time in ages, I had to work and couldn't get out in time to make it there for the 5:10 start. I also left in the 3rd period of the late game. I agree with those who think holding it the day after Super Bowl Sunday hurts. There are plenty of weeks I'd have stayed later but after getting home around 11:30 on Sunday I wasn't going to be stuck there for OT. As much as I love the Monday tradition it does make for a rough start to the work week when you're out that late and still have four days to go. The first Monday is especially rough with TV timeouts for both games and the 5:10 start.
        $45 bucks is too much. Few people care to watch both games, so essentially you're paying $45 to see your team. They need to cut that in half. A family of 4 is blowing $200 before they even get into their seats after paying to park. The market just isn't there for that.
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

I'll tell you what, it was really wonderful getting to hear "Amonte wins it for BU in overtime!" once again.
          Boston University CAS'88

GO BU!

Comment

Originally posted by wysi View Post
            I'll tell you what, it was really wonderful getting to hear "Amonte wins it for BU in overtime!" once again.
            His father was a very rare talent. The kid works his butt off, and really wants it. Hope that rubs off on some of his "drafted" teammates.

Comment

Hockey is SO great in person, I'm not buying the "It's on TV" argument. It's always been on TV.

I'm going with a nasty combo of Super Bowl hangover, cost, and diminishing general interest in college hockey (not that it was ever huge, but....)

Solution: Dismantle the Pats so they go back to the 3-13 days, lower ticket prices, and make sure BC and BU are top 10 teams again. Solved.
              It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wysi View Post
                I'm trying to think of games that his father won in OT, and I can only come up with one - a home game against Maine his freshman year (I believe Jean Yves-Roy returned the favor the next night (or the night prior)). For all the big goals he scored, and he did score a bunch (25+31), I don't think there were many in OT (calling Mr. Pickett...). I remember him scoring in the last minute or so against Merrimack his freshman year to cap a furious comeback. He had hat tricks against BC in the Beanpot and Clarkson in the national semis in his sophomore season. Maybe a road game against Northeastern? I'm probably missing an obvious one.

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                  Hockey is SO great in person, I'm not buying the "It's on TV" argument. It's always been on TV.
                  Agreed, but I have to admit that being able to DVR a hi-definition broadcast and start it around an hour late is a heck of a lot better than what the TV experience used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                    Solution: Dismantle the Pats so they go back to the 3-13 days, lower ticket prices, and make sure BC and BU are top 10 teams again. Solved.
                    They're doing a pretty good job of that themselves...

Comment

So I guess we're caring about the Beanpot this year? Go us!

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                        I'm trying to think of games that his father won in OT, and I can only come up with one - a home game against Maine his freshman year (I believe Jean Yves-Roy returned the favor the next night (or the night prior)). For all the big goals he scored, and he did score a bunch (25+31), I don't think there were many in OT (calling Mr. Pickett...). I remember him scoring in the last minute or so against Merrimack his freshman year to cap a furious comeback. He had hat tricks against BC in the Beanpot and Clarkson in the national semis in his sophomore season. Maybe a road game against Northeastern? I'm probably missing an obvious one.
                        He scored the "winner" in OT against PC at WBA, only to have the goal waved off because his helmet had been knocked off and he kept playing anyway (he also got a two minute minor). We were all pretty salty about that one.
                        Boston University CAS'88

GO BU!

Comment

I don't think the ticket price is a problem. $45 for loge seats to TWO games?
                          As someone who skipped it this year, I can tell you price was a factor. It is not two games. Unless I take a vacation day, I'm missing the entire first game and even if I didn't I wouldn't pay to go to a NU-BC game so it's more of a bonus than anything else. And for $45 I'll skip out on round 1. Either I miss seeing them lose in person and save $45 or they win and I go to the finals instead.

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                          It is a viscous circle too. The lack of crowd / atmosphere makes it even less exciting to be there and i would think makes some people less likely to attend next year.
                          This exactly. The crowd was more than half of the draw for me. The number of students, the back and forth between opposing fan bases, and the distinct lack of Agganis fun police. But the crowd has become less fun in recent years.

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                          It would never happen (well not for a long time), but imagine the atmosphere of a Beanpot at an arena like Agganis. All of a sudden, you have hard to get tickets again, much louder fans and bands.
                          Impossible. Refer to above statement regarding Agganis fun police.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance View Post
                            Impossible. Refer to above statement regarding Agganis fun police.
                            Well he DID say "imagine"

Comment

Not sure how much stock to put in it, but Greenway told the local NBC news that he is returning to BU next year.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
                                Popping over from the NU thread to say I agree with the second and third Mondays idea. Just looking at the calendar, Disney on Ice is there, which I should have known. Since they run shows starting at like noon I would bet the holiday is among their bigger days of the run.
                                school vacation week.
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X