Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm getting caught up on the DVR now. Unfortunate the refs missed a pretty obvious 7 guys on the ice for Harvard with 6 seconds left in the third.

Comment

• Re: Boston University 17-18 - thread El Segundo

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
      I'm getting caught up on the DVR now. Unfortunate the refs missed a pretty obvious 7 guys on the ice for Harvard with 6 seconds left in the third.
      Didn't notice that. An otherwise generally clean game, only five penalties called in total for ~82 minutes of play.
      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by kbz View Post
        Also really liked the fact that the boys were putting the puck on net instead of trying to set up a pretty goal. That said, I thought Tkachuk passed us a few prime scoring chances to pass.
        Hear ****ing hear!!! What a joy it was watching Terriers streaking to the net and shooting the puck. Ty looked like Tony. Did the team go rogue or did DQ figure it out?

BU Hockey: Like 1991 All Over Again
        It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kbz View Post
          What a dominating performance by Greenway. Best I’ve ever seen him play in Terrier uniform. Also really liked the fact that the boys were putting the puck on net instead of trying to set up a pretty goal. That said, I thought Tkachuk passed us a few prime scoring chances to pass.
          Yes on both fronts. Tkachuk passed up two great opportunities in OT. I was yelling at the screen. He had a generally quiet game, at least until the OT.
          BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
            Hear ****ing hear!!! What a joy it was watching Terriers streaking to the net and shooting the puck. Ty looked like Tony. Did the team go rogue or did DQ figure it out?

BU Hockey: Like 1991 All Over Again
            Based on the comments I read, it sounds like the difference between the second period and the OT (or for that matter any of those periods where we look terrible and any that we look good) is the team lacking confidence to be aggressive all over the ice. The Amonte goal was a prime example - he even said in his comments that he thought about just dishing it to Fabbro (or whoever the dman was in the neutral zone) before he changed his mind, spun around, and drove into the zone. he said Quinn would not have been happy if he had just sent it back to the d (perhaps because it looked like he could have kept it in the zone rather than skate out with it).

Comment

Overall a great game, nerve-racking as expected.
              - Greenway was definitely on his game.
              - Bowers was very quiet. I know he isn't flashy, but he didn't posses the puck a whole lot.
              - Oettinger was unreal. Other than the five-hole shot that hit the post early, he was immense. Needless to say, the team needs him on his game the rest of the season.
              - Cockerill is fun to watch, and I can see him turning into quite a scorer as he develops. He is already learning to use his speed more effectively - he singlehandedly created a few turnovers in the offensive zone and was back-checking tremendously.
              - Amonte also played a strong game. I'm glad we killed off that OT penalty on him - I didn't want him to be the goat.
              - Related - I thought the refs did a good job of letting them play down the stretch. It would have been hard not to call the Amonte penalty, and I figured, 15 minutes into OT, they probably thought - at some point we have to start calling the really obvious ones. I enjoyed someone's tweet about Madigan asking/remarking that you are actually allowed to kill off an OT penalty.
              - NU looks very good. Their talent on that top line and in goal could carry them a long way. They have to be the favorite.

Lastly - I assume last night is considered a tie from a Pairwise perspective?

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post

Lastly - I assume last night is considered a tie from a Pairwise perspective?
                Goes in as a win. BU is up to #18 in Pairwise.

Comment

From someone who attended the Beanpot last night, what is your best guess as to how attendance topped out? I'm not interested in "announced" attendance. Looked to be many empty seats, even during the prime attendance period.
                  if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                    From someone who attended the Beanpot last night, what is your best guess as to how attendance topped out? I'm not interested in "announced" attendance. Looked to be many empty seats, even during the prime attendance period.
                    I was only there for the BU / Harvard game but I'd guess somewhere around 5000 were in attendance for that.... maybe a few more at the very start of the game. Maybe it is time to consider moving this to a Friday.
                    Last edited by ericredaxe; 02-06-2018, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Moving this to Friday is not going to do anything. Here’s my observations....

In the past, many more people would stay for a good portion of both games. The largest crowds would be there from the third period of the first game through about the second period of the second game. Now, people there to see the first game leave.

Also, I do think that when the NFL moved the Super Bowl to the first Sunday in February, it affected the Beanpot a bit. Part of the allure of the Beanpot was that there was nothing in February from a sports perspective.

Also, with the game on TV, I think people stay in to watch. Especially after a late night watching the Super Bowl.

And I know it’s winter and supposed to col, but the lack of a pumped up, energetic crowd really made it colder in there.

And, the exorbitant parking prices don’t help.

Comment

Again, this is the team I want to watch the rest of the season. Win or lose, give me some speed and run-and-gun offense. They have the pieces to make it work.
                        It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post

In the past, many more people would stay for a good portion of both games. The largest crowds would be there from the third period of the first game through about the second period of the second game. Now, people there to see the first game leave.

Also, I do think that when the NFL moved the Super Bowl to the first Sunday in February, it affected the Beanpot a bit. Part of the allure of the Beanpot was that there was nothing in February from a sports perspective.

Also, with the game on TV, I think people stay in to watch. Especially after a late night watching the Super Bowl.

And I know it’s winter and supposed to col, but the lack of a pumped up, energetic crowd really made it colder in there.

I agree with the SB being a factor. Especially with the local team in the game every **** year.
                          It Happened!!!!

Comment

The Superbowl part is true. Even if the Patriots are not playing in it, it is still an evening where people are up later than normal / out at parties etc and people are less likely to do that two nights in a row.

I know that moving to Friday will never happen with the Garden scheduling etc, but I do think that if it could ever happen, it would help attendance. There would be a lot more people with kids etc willing to have them out late on a Friday as opposed to a Monday / school night.

As to staying for both games, Garden food / beer prices do not help much either.... although out to eat before the BU/Harvard game and watching the BC/NU game on TV, there was almost nobody in the bar either. There were far more empty tables at the Harp than there were full tables.

Comment

Agreed on ALL counts.

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                                I agree with the SB being a factor. Especially with the local team in the game every **** year.
                                That will be ending soon...expect some HUGE changes. Nothing lasts forever and 18 years is pretty **** good!

Comment

Working...
                                X