X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 17-18 - thread El Segundo

Originally posted by defkit View Post
    I thought about that one, but my recollection was that he was involved in the play, but not the goal scorer. I thought he passed the puck to the point and the d-man took a shot that Joe Sacco tipped. Or that he was the guy at the point. I know there is footage of it somewhere on one of my game tapes. They were doing a between periods piece about something and showed the clip.
    Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    He assisted. IIRC, lost helmet, passed puck, headed to bench, BU scored, we all celebrated, then goal was called back. We were mad/sad.
    Originally posted by wysi View Post
    I must say, your memory is sharper than mine!
    The game was on NESN, but I didn't find it in my collection, so I ether didn't label it (and I do have several unlabeled tapes), didn't record it, or, most likely, didn't save it. Here is an excerpt from the Globe article on the game:

With 29 seconds to play in overtime, Boston University's Joe Sacco tipped in a drive from the point by defenseman Kevin O'Sullivan, apparently giving the Terriers a 2-1 victory over Providence.

But wait.

Referee Rich Fowkes, who at first allowed the goal, waved it off as the teams were skating off after he was advised by linesman Bob Fowkes (his nephew) that BU's Tony Amonte, who started the play, had been playing without a helmet.

Originally posted by defkit View Post
    I'm trying to think of games that his father won in OT, and I can only come up with one - a home game against Maine his freshman year (I believe Jean Yves-Roy returned the favor the next night (or the night prior)). For all the big goals he scored, and he did score a bunch (25+31), I don't think there were many in OT (calling Mr. Pickett...). I remember him scoring in the last minute or so against Merrimack his freshman year to cap a furious comeback. He had hat tricks against BC in the Beanpot and Clarkson in the national semis in his sophomore season. Maybe a road game against Northeastern? I'm probably missing an obvious one.
    Tony had 14 game-winning goals (tied for fourth most since the start of Hockey East in 1984) for BU in 79 games played. In his first game at Colgate Tony scored the winning goal with 1:33 left in the third period, breaking a 4-4 tie. He next scored the overtime winner vs Maine on 11 November, the day after Jean-Yves Roy had won it for Maine in overtime. Tony's next game-winning goal did not come until 17 January 1990 when he scored in overtime at Lowell. He then scored the winner in the comeback vs Merrimack on 9 February breaking a 4-4 tie with 41 seconds left in the third. His next two winners were both pedestrian ones, a 5-2 win at Lowell and 6-2 vs Lowell at WBA. His next winner was on 17 March vs UND in game two of the NCAA first round, as he scored early in the third to give BU a 4-2 lead in an eventual 5-3 win. Tony also got the winner the next night as he scored BU's first goal early in the first as BU won 5-0 to win the series, 2-1. His next winner in on 25 March at MSU in game three on the NCAA quarterfinals as his goal at 7:02 of the third broke a 3-3 tie and gave BU the lead for good as they upset the Spartans, 2 games to 1. Tony didn't have another game winner until 8 January 1991, when he scored the first goal in a 4-0 shutout vs Merrimack. His next was 4 days later when he broke a 3-3 tie vs SLU with 3:54 left in the third period. He next had another pedestrian game winner in 8 February in a 6-2 win at Merrimack. His next to last game winner came in the 1991 Beanpot championship game vs BC (an 8-4 win). After BC took a 3-2 lead at 9:25 of the second Tony scored twice in 45 seconds to give BU a short-lived (18 seconds) 4-3 lead. Tony then broke the 4-4 tie for good with his third goal in 5:24 (for the fastest hat trick in Beanpot history according to the score sheet). That broke the Eagles back as BU scored 2 more goals in the final 2:18 of the second period to take a 7-4 lead. Tony's last game-winner was another pedestrian one vs Providence in a 9-5 win 5 days later. So, Tony only had 2 overtime game-winners in his BU career, but five others broke tie games and gave BU the lead for good, four of those coming in the third period and three late in the third.

As for all-time, my database has BU winning 111 overtime games*, of which I have identified the game-winning goal scorer for 79. There have been 62 different goal scorers for those 79 games, with just three players having 3 overtime game winners: Jack Eichel, Colby Cohen and Bryan Miller. Tony is among a further 11 players with 2 game-winning goals: Brandon Yip, Chris Matchett, Danny O'Regan, Garrett Noonan, Gerard Desrosiers, Jordan Greenway, Matt Nieto, Mike Sullivan, Mike Kelfer, Shawn McEachern and Tony Amonte. I am working on identifying the goal scorers for the other 32 games.

Sean

* includes overtime win vs Brown later forfeited for ineligible player.
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
    BU Hockey highlights and extras
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
      I googled to find the video. He said that Greenway told him he would be back to BU next year to finish his degree. Well, the last we heard, Greenway was on track to finish his degree after this junior year. It wouldn't surprise me if Greenway told him he would be back to BU to finish his degree and the reporter interpreted that as Greenway coming back next season. I'd like to see Greenway say that himself before people get excited.

I mean, he hasn't told Michael Russo yet!!
      Wild just did a 2 for 1 trade of minor leaguers (including Don Lucia's son, Mario) to get down to 49 contracts, one under the NHL maximum. Rumor is they're making a big pitch for Greenway to join them and take that 50th contract spot.

Comment

Hot Take: Greenway has played his last game in a Terrier uniform.
        It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
          That is my guess...

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
            He can return for the Hockey East playoffs, and if there is anything else, and then sign if that's what he wants to do.

Comment

I don't see every BU game but I thought last Monday's game against Harvard was the best game I'd seen Greenway play. If he plays like that in the Olympics, he is probably ready for the NHL and he should go Pro. If he is inconsistent during the Games he will have a choice to make. Stay at BU and work on showing up every night or sign and learn how to play professionally in the AHL.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                My hot take is that he sucks at the Olympics and hardly gets any playing time. Whether he ends up leaving or stays for a senior year, I don't know. But I wouldn't be surprised if he sees less than 10 minutes of ice time per game.

Comment

Question - in the overall scheme of things, what game is more important? League game vs, UMass tomorrow or non conference Beanpot final on Monday? I just saw a tweet that said Harper probably won’t play tomorrow, Krys and Carpenter may or may not. I did see Bobo get hurt on Monday but he came back, so I didn’t think it was that bad. If we had to pick either tomorrow or a Monday, what game would be more important?

Comment

Question - in the overall scheme of things, what game is more important? League game vs, UMass tomorrow or non conference Beanpot final on Monday? I just saw a tweet that said Harper probably won’t play tomorrow, Krys and Carpenter may or may not. I did see Bobo get hurt on Monday but he came back, so I didn’t think it was that bad. If we had to pick either tomorrow or a Monday, what game would be more important?
                    My vote is for Monday. It's only "non-conference" in the sense that it doesn't count in the Hockey East standings. Otherwise, I would rather beat a team ahead of us in the pairwise (if I "had" to pick one - obviously I'd prefer to win both) than one behind us. (Not trying to speculate what the numbers would be and I haven't run it through the PWR "predictor," but the question was "if we had to pick one."

Comment

Definitely Monday. Chance to win some hardware. BU should finish with a 1st round bye in the HEA playoffs with or without a win tomorrow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                        If I had to choose I’d say Monday. Likely our best chance to win something this year. I don’t see a win or loss on Friday changing our chances to win hockey east (chances are low for that anyway), and I don’t see much hope for making any noise in the NCAA regardless of what happens.... so i say Monday.

Comment

So we could be watching a Terrier squad tonight less the following forwards:

- Greenway
                          - Harper
                          - Carpenter

And Harper hasn't played hockey since January 5th. I'm getting worried.

I hope O and the D bring their A-Game.
                          It Happened!!!!

Comment

And regarding the whole Friday/Monday thing. Double L's are looking likely. Not sure how they will contain NU's 1st line missing so many key contributors.
                            It Happened!!!!

Comment

I'll take the opposite viewpoint. I'd rather see them win tonight. A finish in the Top 4 is very important. Conceding that the schedule has been soft lately, the team's play has improved significantly. A Top 4 finish with the return of Greenway, Krys and Harper and this team could compete for postseason title. If Harper does return, maybe skate him on the 3rd line with Amonte and Curry?
                              if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Yeah, I hate to consider a season successful because we won the freakin' Beanpot but at this point beggars can't be choosers. I suppose it would also be a good sign for the HE tournament as well as I don't see us winning that either but if Quinn can get the team focused for a big game on Monday perhaps he can do that again come tourney time. A big IF I realize...
                                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Working...
                                X