X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 17-18 - thread El Segundo

Originally posted by PPGuru View Post
    I had a different thought. Could the NFL move the Super Bowl to Saturday Night? The teams will have had 13 days to prepare. That should be enough time. Then America has all day and night Sunday to recover and go back to work on Monday. I'm not an advertising guy but is airtime on Sunday that much better than airtime on Saturday? That also creates a night off between the Super Bowl and the Beanpot for us (though I know the NFL really doesn't consider us/the Beanpot as something to worry about.
    they are not giving away an entertainment night in the run up.
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by wysi View Post
      He scored the "winner" in OT against PC at WBA, only to have the goal waved off because his helmet had been knocked off and he kept playing anyway (he also got a two minute minor). We were all pretty salty about that one.
      I thought about that one, but my recollection was that he was involved in the play, but not the goal scorer. I thought he passed the puck to the point and the d-man took a shot that Joe Sacco tipped. Or that he was the guy at the point. I know there is footage of it somewhere on one of my game tapes. They were doing a between periods piece about something and showed the clip.
      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post
        I thought about that one, but my recollection was that he was involved in the play, but not the goal scorer. I thought he passed the puck to the point and the d-man took a shot that Joe Sacco tipped. Or that he was the guy at the point. I know there is footage of it somewhere on one of my game tapes. They were doing a between periods piece about something and showed the clip.
        He assisted. IIRC, lost helmet, passed puck, headed to bench, BU scored, we all celebrated, then goal was called back. We were mad/sad.

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
          Not sure how much stock to put in it, but Greenway told the local NBC news that he is returning to BU next year.
          If Greenway is seriously thinking about taking the Jimmy Vesey route, he'll have a few weeks to discuss it with Matt Gilroy...altho not the same as Gilroy was already a free agent.
          The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
            If Greenway is seriously thinking about taking the Jimmy Vesey route, he'll have a few weeks to discuss it with Matt Gilroy...altho not the same as Gilroy was already a free agent.
            In Greenway's case, here are my perceived pros and cons of returning to BU for Senior year.

Pros:
            1. Opportunity to graduate on schedule
            2. Opportunity to pursue free agency
            3. Opportunity to win championships and put his mark on BU Hockey history

Cons:
            1. Expectations/pressure to deliver. Anything less than leading the team to championships and/or a less-than-dominant year individually would be considered a disappointment.
            2. Bullseye on him from opponents and officials.
            3. Development - he's ready to turn pro and his game may develop further next season if in the pros

Comment

Excuse the non-BU related topic (unless you count alums that have gone to BU):

Why are schools like Central Catholic and St. John's Prep (two private schools in my area) grouped with public high schools like Newburyport and Burlington in being eligible for the Super 8. Why wouldn't they be in the "prep school" conferences with St Sebastians, Phillips Exeter, etc. My assumption is that if a school charges tuition and requires you to apply to get in, it is considered a private school. So not all "private" schools are "prep" schools? I know that the "tuition at these schools isn't in the stratosphere like some of those prep schools, maybe that has something to do with it?

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post

Why are schools like Central Catholic and St. John's Prep (two private schools in my area) grouped with public high schools like Newburyport and Burlington in being eligible for the Super 8. Why wouldn't they be in the "prep school" conferences with St Sebastians, Phillips Exeter, etc. My assumption is that if a school charges tuition and requires you to apply to get in, it is considered a private school. So not all "private" schools are "prep" schools? I know that the "tuition at these schools isn't in the stratosphere like some of those prep schools, maybe that has something to do with it?
                I can't speak specific to hockey and for today, but I attended one and (at least when I was there) the ISL schools pretty much never participated in any statewide competition and championships in any sports. I believe some will offer scholarships etc so perhaps that makes them not eligible? Or perhaps they just want to compete in an island of themselves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indepe..._(New_England)

Perhaps someone with better knowledge of the current day can answer better than I can.

Comment

St. John’s Prep, Central Catholic are considered parochial schools. Like Catholic Memorial. And Matignon.

Comment

I must say, your memory is sharper than mine!
                    Boston University CAS'88

GO BU!

Comment

OMG!!!! This discussion has been going on since I graduated from high school in 1972!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The short answer is, they "recruit." Now, of course, with "school choice," the landscape is a little more murky. The local school concept where you are "representing your community" has gone extinct...like everything else. Everybody is a mercenary. Think of the "one and done" concept in college. It's similar, except that you have to play all four years in high (prep) school to gain the physical maturity to get to the next level.

This is why the Catholic schools almost always win, because it's impossible for a public school, who is essentially only using players from its immediate community to compete with a school that can "glean" players from almost anywhere. The argument has been going on forever...

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                        I can't speak specific to hockey and for today, but I attended one and (at least when I was there) the ISL schools pretty much never participated in any statewide competition and championships in any sports. I believe some will offer scholarships etc so perhaps that makes them not eligible? Or perhaps they just want to compete in an island of themselves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indepe..._(New_England)

Perhaps someone with better knowledge of the current day can answer better than I can.
                        I don't think (correct me if I'm wrong) that's what he meant. He's not comparing them to ISL - he's wondering why ANY essentially "private" school (or parochial or Catholic or whatever you want to call it), who can recruit players from anywhere, can play in the same league as a public school, which is patently unfair because they can only use players (students) from their town.

Comment

OK, so enough about the Beanpot semi, OT goals, private vs public schools and the diminishing luster of the tournament. Important league game coming up on Friday. Greenway is on the other side of the world. We don’t have confirmation if Harper plays. Probably no Chad Krys. What are we thinking about Friday? UMass was way better than expected, kinda, last Friday. They’re probably still unhappy about the disallowed goal. BU is on a decent unbeaten streak. I’m....concerned.

Discuss.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                            OK, so enough about the Beanpot semi, OT goals, private vs public schools and the diminishing luster of the tournament. Important league game coming up on Friday. Greenway is on the other side of the world. We don’t have confirmation if Harper plays. Probably no Chad Krys. What are we thinking about Friday? UMass was way better than expected, kinda, last Friday. They’re probably still unhappy about the disallowed goal. BU is on a decent unbeaten streak. I’m....concerned.

Discuss.
                            Our win streak is a nice turnaround, but the team isn't dominating anyone (other than the first ASU game). But I feel good about Friday - I think as long as Oettinger continues to play well, we'll win. Of course, having Harper in the lineup would be a big help. With Greenway gone, Tkachuk will need to up his game a little.

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                              In Greenway's case, here are my perceived pros and cons of returning to BU for Senior year.

Pros:
                              2. Opportunity to pursue free agency

Cons:
                              3. Development - he's ready to turn pro and his game may develop further next season if in the pros
                              Really? Ready to turn pro? Maybe once every four games. Maybe.

He is caught between trying to use his size and skills. And he has not developed consistency to show both. Yet.
                              He can ask JFK about the bus rides in Providence.

If he can utilize his size AND skill together consistently, he won't have to worry about bus rides to Utica.
                              He can do it, but he is not quite there yet.

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
                                Not sure how much stock to put in it, but Greenway told the local NBC news that he is returning to BU next year.
                                I googled to find the video. He said that Greenway told him he would be back to BU next year to finish his degree. Well, the last we heard, Greenway was on track to finish his degree after this junior year. It wouldn't surprise me if Greenway told him he would be back to BU to finish his degree and the reporter interpreted that as Greenway coming back next season. I'd like to see Greenway say that himself before people get excited.

I mean, he hasn't told Michael Russo yet!!

Comment

Working...
                                X