This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
    Well, obviously it's much more serious and apparently confidential so they're not at liberty to release the information. If it's a medical thing it very well could be that the HIPAA laws prevent any type of disclosure in that regard. Now one may say "Well then just say it's an 'undisclosed' illness," but that would only prompt further questions and/or speculation and they probably don't want to go down that rathole. Whatever is it, clearly they have been instructed to protect his privacy. I really don't think at this point it's a case of the reporters "not asking the right questions."
    This is the most I have agreed with a chickod post in a while, well said.

Only thing is that HIPAA doesn't apply to the BU staff, but handling it in the best way for your 19 year old player is more important than being open with the fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agganis View Post
      I like that there is no black on the jersey, and think it would look much more busy with the extra color(s) and logo by adding a dog head to the jersey.
      Jack had commented once that black was NOT one of the school colors and therefore would not be on a bu sweater.
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Re: Boston University 17-18 - thread El Segundo

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
        Which are the early 50’s vs the late 50s?

I didn’t know we had two throwbacks from the 50s? Or are the late 50s the candy canes?
        The current alternate jerseys are the early 50's throwbacks and the current regular jerseys (or candy canes) are the late 50's throwbacks.

Here is a short history of BU jerseys

Until the 1946-47 season there were no identifying marks on the front of the jersey. Starting with the 1946-47 season Boston University was written across the front of the jersey. All pictures I have seen only show a dark (I assume red) jersey, with white shoulders and white stripes on the sleeves. For the 1949-50 season BU unveiled all scarlet uniforms with Boston University across the front (the Boston Globe even mentioned the new uniforms in the article about BU's first game of the season: "The scoring power of the Terriers, who appeared for the first time in brilliant all-scarlet uniforms...". These are what I call the early fifties jerseys and are the current alternate jerseys. These were worn for 3 seasons and oddly, the scarlet jerseys had two stripes while the white jerseys had 3 stripes. Starting in 1952-53 these were replaced by jerseys that just had Boston across the front with a Boston Terrier head beneath it. For the 1953-54 season the jerseys worn from 1949-52 were once again worn, before switching back to the jerseys with the Terrier below Boston for the 1954-55 season. For the 1955-56 season the jerseys changed again, with Boston across the front and the number below it. In 1956-57 the jerseys with Boston and the number on the front along with shoulder and sleeve striping (the current regular uniforms) were worn. They were worn through at least 1958-59, and I believe they were won until 1962, when Jack Kelley took over. The 1962-63 jerseys looked very similar to the classic jerseys, but with the number on the sleeve above a single solid strip. The only change I’m aware of during Coach Kelley’s tenure was the number on the sleeve being moved into the stripe on the sleeve. In 1972-73 Coach Abbot replaced the number on the front with a Terrier head and added black piping around the numbers and letters. This remained the jersey style through the 1981-82 season (and I believe the 1982-83 season). Starting with the 1983-84 season the Terrier head was replaced with the number, although the black piping remained through the 1984-85 season before being dropped starting with the 1985-86 season.

It is not just the jerseys, but the pants and socks that have changed over time as well, but I don't intend to go into those changes.

Sean
        Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
        Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
        BU Hockey highlights and extras
        NCAA Hockey Financials
        Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
        I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Mookie knows the nameplates would have to be removed, and that terror pride would steal the money.... it with all these sweaters laying around they should be auctioning them off during games again. Save the name in the hockey office for when the player graduates. Earn some money for the programs.
          They got ~500/each before and if the player was better known closer to a grand. And that was 15-20 years ago so with the economy flush with tax cuts () expect double
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I liked the BU sweaters of the mid/late 70s. I just didn't like the guys that wore them.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

The goal scored by Jordan Greenway against Slovenia, may have been the first goal since 1994 (Peter Ferraro), to have scored in both the NCAA and Olympics.

Comment

OMG it's Friday and we have a game! With the exception of hearing that Harper is out, there has been no chatter at all. So, what are we thinking? BU beat UConn down there last October. Merrimack tomorrow up there. Not sure what to expect. I do feel if they don't sweep, the season is pretty much over. I hope they prove me wrong. Both games are on the road, which is promising, since their road record is better than their home record.

Comment

UConn has been playing pretty well lately. Beat both BC and NU at home.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                    As is Vermont. Who BU plays next weekend. But....BU has such an easy schedule the rest of the way.....at least that's what I keep being told.

Comment

Ha, well you guys did take advantage of that easy schedule. But you're right that Vermont is also much improved from when they were an absolute dumpster fire earlier in the year. So when I looked say back in December, these games were looking like layups. Now they look trickier.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                        Plus we're shorthanded (not in the penalty sense ). I also think the new "reality" that we had all better start getting used to is the increasing parity. I know people say it's a "down" year for Hockey East and that's true. But that's probably due more to the fact that there aren't two or three dominant teams at the top beating up on everyone else as opposed to the entire league being bad (and yes I understand that the out of conference record is not as good as it usually has been).

It's a tough adjustment for BU and BC fans to acknowledge that "any" game is loseable, because it would have been unthinkable to lose to teams like UConn and Merrimack when "times were good." The days where we didn't start getting "serious" until NCAA Selection Sunday (because we KNEW it was a given we would be at the Garden and automatically qualify with the PWR) are over.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                          Plus we're shorthanded (not in the penalty sense ). I also think the new "reality" that we had all better start getting used to is the increasing parity. I know people say it's a "down" year for Hockey East and that's true. But that's probably due more to the fact that there aren't two or three dominant teams at the top beating up on everyone else as opposed to the entire league being bad (and yes I understand that the out of conference record is not as good as it usually has been).

It's a tough adjustment for BU and BC fans to acknowledge that "any" game is loseable, because it would have been unthinkable to lose to teams like UConn and Merrimack when "times were good." The days where we didn't start getting "serious" until NCAA Selection Sunday (because we KNEW it was a given we would be at the Garden and automatically qualify with the PWR) are over.
                          Those days have been over for about two decades.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                            OMG it's Friday and we have a game! With the exception of hearing that Harper is out, there has been no chatter at all. So, what are we thinking? BU beat UConn down there last October. Merrimack tomorrow up there. Not sure what to expect. I do feel if they don't sweep, the season is pretty much over. I hope they prove me wrong. Both games are on the road, which is promising, since their road record is better than their home record.
                            Do you think you guys will have a big contingent at Lawler tomorrow?
                            Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by MCWarrior1011 View Post
                              Do you think you guys will have a big contingent at Lawler tomorrow?
                              Probably not enormous, the high cost probably keeps some away. Don't know how you all get away with charging nearly $30 to see any game in that place.
                              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                                Probably not enormous, the high cost probably keeps some away. Don't know how you all get away with charging nearly $30 to see any game in that place.
                                I think that is only for teams like you guys they tier pricing like the red sox I believe. Different opponents have different costs.
                                Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

Working...
                                X