X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 17-18 - thread El Segundo

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
    BU doubled NU in even strength shot attempts with arguably their two best offensive players out of the game, they were not awful. Not all of the offense was pretty, but it was not anywhere near as you described. Of course the two power plays are in different worlds than one another, that was the clear difference in the game.
    This BU. No one is interested in moral victories. Win or get fired. He's not winning.

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
      A tough loss, but what great energy in the building - no doubt which fan base is the most committed now.
      - I thought BU played a good game - up tempo, aggressive forecheck, and generally making good plays. But that darn NU Power Play.
      - I thought the call on Olsson was legit, the one on Phelps was terrible, and the one on Tkachuk had to be called. Really bad decision by Tkachuk. I expected Quinn to sit him for awhile - I would have.
      - I thought the ENG was fitting, because Krys looked terrible in his own end all night. Oettinger saved his butt after he tried to get through three guys coming out from behind the net. He just causes too many turnovers - maybe he should be moved to forward?
      - As much as it sucked to lose, it was pretty cool to see the excitement by the NU players. It reminded me of the Tretiak quote about seeing Team USA celebrating after shocking his team in 1980.

Agree on all accounts. It all came down to the power plays. NU was fantastic on the PP. NU is a veteran team with veteran leadership who wanted it more and they deserved it last night.

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
        This BU. No one is interested in moral victories. Win or get fired. He's not winning.
        Not insinuating that it was a moral victory, just that they weren't awful outside of the PK.
        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
          Not insinuating that it was a moral victory, just that they weren't awful outside of the PK.
          You either win, or you lose.
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
            That would actually be neat to see someday.
            This year was probably the best chance of it. Realistically, when is the next time BU and BC will both be as down as they are this year while NU and HU are strong(ish)? Similarly, if NU didn't win last night with as good a roster as they've had, they might as well have not come back again. To my eyes their current roster is better than their 08-09 one.
            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

How this BU team may be measured this season will come down to how they respond/play the next 2 weekends. Unfortunately if recent history tells me anything, it'll say they may limp across the HE regular-season finish line, leaving valuable points for the taking.

At this point I wonder whether Harper may be back at all during the regular season. Even if he were to come back the next 2 weekends, how effective would he be?

Beating NU last night would've given BU a better chance to flip the PWR comp against NU with a few more wins and a couple of NU losses. I think at this point BU would need at least 3 W's in their last 4 RS games and win at least 3 games in HE tourney if they stand a chance any chance at an at-large NCAA bid.

Comment

Cue the Jim Mora “Playoffs?!?” YouTube clip!

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post

Comment

Always good for a laugh: https://youtu.be/U7fjDS0jKiE?t=13s
                    It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                      Always good for a laugh: https://youtu.be/U7fjDS0jKiE?t=13s
                      Whats that? Pairwise?!?!?! Don't talk about pairwise! Are you kidding me? Pairwise? I just hope we can win a game!!!

(Although I'm sure we will win some more games and finish this season strong.)

Comment

To my eyes their current roster is better than their 08-09 one.
                        Talent-wise absolutely. That group fit really well together but was nowhere near as talented. I'd take the 15-16 forward group over this one, but this squad clearly gets the check mark on defense and in goal.
                        2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
                        2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post

At this point I wonder whether Harper may be back at all during the regular season. Even if he were to come back the next 2 weekends, how effective would he be?
                          I've honestly tarted wondering if we may be dealing with a Baillargeon situation (Mono) or worse, Roberto. I'm sure it's not the latter, but the thought did cross my mind...
                          BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Whats that? Pairwise?!?!?! Don't talk about pairwise! Are you kidding me? Pairwise? I just hope we can win a game!!!

(Although I'm sure we will win some more games and finish this season strong.)
                            ...didn't lose last night!!!! (progress - baby steps )

Comment

This year was probably the best chance of it. Realistically, when is the next time BU and BC will both be as down as they are this year while NU and HU are strong(ish)? Similarly, if NU didn't win last night with as good a roster as they've had, they might as well have not come back again. To my eyes their current roster is better than their 08-09 one.
                              I think you are in a dream world to think that BC and BU are going to somehow rise back to the their decades long dominance of the 70’s thru 2000’s Also just a news flash but BC was a marginal back water of mediocrity until York arrived in the mid 1990’s. Also, if you haven’t noticed their dominance in Sports is faltering due to a new set of priests in power who at Chestnut Hill aren’t as focused on sports as they are on academics, and seek a more Fordham like sports environment than that of let's say Notre Dame. The retirement of Jack Parker has tuned BU into the Indiana of College Hockey, and soon the same thing will happen at the Heights. Academically today many an employer and admissions officer would argue that all the degrees are generally fairly equal. That said, there are still lots of kids who will never choose to play or attend a Catholic school. Jim Madigan is equally as talented a coach and recruiter as the your current BU CFO and he even appears to be a little less rough edges in his press conferences, he seems to also be a fairly good salesman lately, if you look at the commits in the pipe line which include the son of a current BC bench coach. You are crazy to think otherwise. This isn’t a fluke year. NU who may have put 10 guys into the NHL in the first 70 years of the programs existence has had 3 or 4 guys now playing in the bigs tonight. I expect this trend is going to continue. Also, other leagues have closed the gap and are also now going to compete with HE who may only put only one or two teams in the NCAA tournament this year. If historically BU was the Yankees of college hockey NU is clearly on the verge of becoming the Red Sox!
                              Last edited by RossiRules; 02-14-2018, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RossiRules View Post
                                I think you are in a dream world to think that BC and BU are going to somehow rise back to the their decades long dominance of the 70’s thru 2000’s Also just a news flash but BC was a marginal back water of mediocrity until York arrived in the mid 1990’s. Also, if you haven’t noticed their dominance in Sports is faltering due to a new set of priests in power who at Chestnut Hill aren’t as focused on sports as they are on academics, and seek a more Fordham like sports environment than that of let's say Notre Dame. The retirement of Jack Parker has tuned BU into the Indiana of College Hockey, and soon the same thing will happen at the Heights. Academically today many an employer and admissions officer would argue that all the degrees are generally fairly equal. That said, there are still lots of kids who will never choose to play or attend a Catholic school. Jim Madigan is equally as talented a coach and recruiter as the your current BU CFO and he even appears to be a little less rough edges in his press conferences, he seems to also be a fairly good salesman lately, if you look at the commits in the pipe line which include the son of a current BC bench coach. You are crazy to think otherwise. This isn’t a fluke year. NU who may have put 10 guys into the NHL in the first 70 years of the programs existence has had 3 or 4 guys now playing in the bigs tonight. I expect this trend is going to continue. Also, other leagues have closed the gap and are also now going to compete with HE who may only put only one or two teams in the NCAA tournament this year. If historically BU was the Yankees of college hockey NU is clearly on the verge of becoming the Red Sox!
                                You misread my post. I said, when is the next time BU and BC will BOTH be as down as they are this year (in addition to Olympic roster changes and injuries) AND NU is as strong as they are. I didn't say BU and BC will both for sure rise back to meteoric status and win the tournament for 25 straight years again. My point was this was NU's best chance to win in the foreseeable future, not their only chance.
                                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Working...
                                X