This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 17-18 - thread El Segundo

OK so I’m usually the person that says BU needs to focus on themselves and just win, but what needs to happen this weekend for that glimmer of NCAA Tournament hope to shine? I know if they win, they’re in. But, I saw BU is at 17 and BC is at 15. Does just winning Friday get them in or do a few other things have to happen in order for that to happen? Regardless, they need to win, period. And if they don’t and their season ends, so be it. Three winnable games they let slip through their fingers (tie with UMass, loss to UConn in OT, tie with UVM) and this post and ensuing conversation probably doesn’t take place.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
      OK so I’m usually the person that says BU needs to focus on themselves and just win, but what needs to happen this weekend for that glimmer of NCAA Tournament hope to shine? I know if they win, they’re in. But, I saw BU is at 17 and BC is at 15. Does just winning Friday get them in or do a few other things have to happen in order for that to happen? Regardless, they need to win, period. And if they don’t and their season ends, so be it. Three winnable games they let slip through their fingers (tie with UMass, loss to UConn in OT, tie with UVM) and this post and ensuing conversation probably doesn’t take place.
      Only real path for BU is to win both games. According to CHN's Pairwise Probability Matrix, BU actually has a 0.9% chance at an at-large bid, but it has to be some weird sort of circumstances for BU to get to 15 without winning Hockey East. If BU loses championship game, it looks like BU ends up somewhere at 17-19.

Comment

I was looking for the Pairwise Predictor to play with but apparently it's not set up yet. I'd agree, they would need both to bump their PWR up enough, but at that point it'd be moot as they'd have the autobid.

Comment

Logan Cockerill is on a 10-game scoring streak after not scoring at all until his 12th game as a Terrier. I don't think any other player has improved as much over the course of the season as him. Kind of filled in the hole with Harper's absence.

BU has gone 11-2-3 in their last 16 games without their top PPG forward. Too bad "Last 16" is no longer a Pairwise contributor.

Comment

• Originally posted by BUPhD View Post
            I was looking for the Pairwise Predictor to play with but apparently it's not set up yet. I'd agree, they would need both to bump their PWR up enough, but at that point it'd be moot as they'd have the autobid.
            Usually available at the conclusion of game 3s today

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
              Logan Cockerill is on a 10-game scoring streak after not scoring at all until his 12th game as a Terrier. I don't think any other player has improved as much over the course of the season as him. Kind of filled in the hole with Harper's absence.

BU has gone 11-2-3 in their last 16 games without their top PPG forward. Too bad "Last 16" is no longer a Pairwise contributor.
              Playing the first part of the season the Fourth Line offensive black hole is the reason Cockerill started so slowly. What took Quinn so long to recognize he was an offensive threat, and Crone was not there yet?

Comment

The top-4 teams are in the semifinals.
                None of them will be easy outs. But if I had a choice of opponents, it would be BC. Both teams will be highly motivated (which has rarely been the case this year). Both struggled against lesser teams in the quarterfinals.
                Northeastern is the best team left, IMO. Providence is the most balanced.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
                  Playing the first part of the season the Fourth Line offensive black hole is the reason Cockerill started so slowly. What took Quinn so long to recognize he was an offensive threat, and Crone was not there yet?
                  Logan took a bit of time to come into his own, his skill developed over the course of the season in part because of his pairing with Bowers/Bobo. Ironically, his goal yesterday was his first at Agganis. That said, he was on the bottom two lines in the fall because Harper was in the lineup. It was by no means a slam dunk in the fall that Cockerill deserved top-6 minutes every night.

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
                  The top-4 teams are in the semifinals.
                  None of them will be easy outs. But if I had a choice of opponents, it would be BC. Both teams will be highly motivated (which has rarely been the case this year). Both struggled against lesser teams in the quarterfinals.
                  Northeastern is the best team left, IMO. Providence is the most balanced.
                  I agree BC is the best matchup of the three options, though by no means a gimme. Since we need two Ws to get in, I'd take my chances on Friday with BC, then if we get by them gamble and throw the kitchen sink at PC or NU with everything on the line. Far from an ideal spot but probably the best of what we had in front of us.
                  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

I expect nothing more than a soul crushing, season ending, humiliation of a loss with Quinn shrugging and talking about what a great season it was and how proud he is of his players.

That way, anything more is just gravy

Comment

Funny that both BC and BU are happy to see each other over having to play Northeastern or Providence.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                        Funny that both BC and BU are happy to see each other over having to play Northeastern or Providence.
                        I think anyone with two eyes and a brain can see that the two best teams in the conference are playing one game and the third and fourth best are playing in the other.
                        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                          I hate hate hate that every time BU is a 1 or a 4 and should be playing the early game, NESN pushes the game to the nightcap. And why is it the few times BU is a 1 or a 4, they always seem to play BC???
                          I guess it sort of depends upon how one looks at it. Here are the arguments for each respective time slot for me:

Pros of late game:
                          1) You get to watch two games no matter what (because if we play first and lose I tend to not be too excited about
                          staying for the second game - best example of this was the brutal 4OT loss to St. Lawrence in 2000 in Albany)
                          2) It can sometimes be tough to make the first game on time
                          3) Atmosphere is better due to 2 (above)

Pros of early game:
                          1) If we win I can just relax and watch the second game
                          2) I don't have to worry about public transportation (whether T or commuter rail). If things run late I can just leave.

Comment

Y’all see the goal Lacouvee gave up in OT tonight? Ooof.
                            It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                              Y’all see the goal Lacouvee gave up in OT tonight? Ooof.
                              Too bad for him - he was having a great year. And it didn't help BU's already very slim chances of an at-large bid!
                              BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                                Too bad for him - he was having a great year. And it didn't help BU's already very slim chances of an at-large bid!
                                The MSU loss dropped BU chances for getting an at-large bid from 0.9% to 0.2%.

Comment

Working...
                                X