This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
    Yes, you're probably right (but we're all young in our hearts, right?). I really didn't look that closely (obviously). So now I'm even happier. I just can't believe the markup. When did we start getting 40% "service" fees on this stuff? Only a couple of years ago it was like $7/ticket. If it's $84, that's a $34 markup. That's 68%????? How can that be right? So apparently the only explanation is that tickets at the box office are even lower than the "list price" (w/o the service fee) online.

So if the "actual" face value from the NCAA (and I would need to see the printed ticket - the ones from the box office are computer generated and not pre-printed) is perhaps $60? That would make the markup $24 (40%). So there are TWO markups - the actual face value in addition to the "service" fee?

And they wonder why attendance is down? Yikes...
    Seriously. I will write a blank check because I don't know when the next time I'll be able to watch NU in the tournament in-person will be, but if you don't have a dog in the fight, why would you go?
    2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
    2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
      So should Quinn still be stepping down after this season?

Haven't you heard? He's going to Merrimack. They're Harvard, Wake Forest and Davidson all rolled into one.
      2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
      2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

• Re: Boston University 17-18 - thread El Segundo

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
        So should Quinn still be stepping down after this season?

Well I don't know who you're addressing that to, but since I was the last person to post I will respond. I don't believe I ever said he should "step down." What I have said it that it is the coach's responsibility to insure that his players play with enthusiasm and good decision-making skills. I can't explain what happened the last two games, but you can't honestly tell me this is the same team that we have seen all season, can you? (if you do you haven't been watching) Last night, against a VERY difficult and frustrating team to play against, they were simply relentless. They just kept coming in waves and banged at the wall until it caved in. Both nights you have to admit they started slowly, but the difference was twofold: 1) Oettinger kept them in the game Saturday (because if you get two down to Providence it's unlikely you will come back as they did against BC), and 2) They avoided the turnovers in their own end which have plagued them, solved the forecheck while adjusting their breakout, and carried sustained pressure in the offensive zone for long stretches.

I also stated last night that I was "100% wrong" about this team. Implicitly that (obviously - or it should be obvious) includes the coach. He IS part of the team - an integral part. I can only comment on what I see in real time. I don't have a crystal ball. I will also admit that I should probably wait until after the games to comment because I get emotional and impulsive during the game. But there is certainly no malicious intent. I want my team to win and, like many of us, I get frustrated when I don't believe they are playing up to their capabilities. We can discuss the psychology of living vicariously through others if you'd like. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. If I were perfect I most likely would be a billionaire living on a island somewhere and wouldn't care about this stuff.

I'm a fan. I have no affiliation with the team other than I have been watching BU Hockey since 1971. My "real" work has nothing to do with hockey (or sports). It's a passion and an interest. I do it because I derive satisfaction and enjoyment from it. There is no question it is easy to say anything when you're anonymous. And that's why, as I mentioned, I try to stay away from "personal" attacks and comments directed in a derisive manner. It's fun to discuss this stuff with others who share the same passion. Sometimes we all take things too personally. Sometimes we say things in the heat of the moment that we wish we hadn't. But at the end of the day we're all BU fans who want nothing more than our team to win. Obviously there are some people on this board that I annoy - I can name them even. But it's not "intentional." I could go through life completely detached and unemotional, but to me that's not living. I don't think I have been disrespectful towards anyone and if so I apologize. If I were good enough to play at this level I would have. But that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion. I'm not of the ilk of the people who say things like, "Well YOU can't criticize a parent because you don't have kids." Really? So then should an actor or actress not have an opinion about politics because they aren't running for office? Last time I checked we still had freedom of speech in this country. Also, I sort of thought the whole point of this forum was to HAVE an opinion. People don't have to read what I say if they don't like it. But again, it's not personal (in fact I don't actually know ANYONE on this thread - I have met a few from other threads in person). In fact, I don't even KNOW if I know people on this thread. Maybe I actually do but don't know them by their pseudonyms. In any event, nothing here is intended to be hurtful or malicious.
        Last edited by chickod; 03-18-2018, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Was not addressed to anyone in particular.... but rather was a humorous jab to the entire group who (for a somewhat significant part) tend to be quickly negative about the coach. Happened with Jack Parker before he retired and at the time you would have thought Quinny was the answer to everyone prayers. Didn’t take long before the board was running him out of town either...

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
            Well I don't know who you're addressing that to, but since I was the last person to post I will respond. I don't believe I ever said he should "step down." What I have said it that it is the coach's responsibility to insure that his players play with enthusiasm and good decision-making skills. I can't explain what happened the last two games, but you can't honestly tell me this is the same team that we have seen all season, can you? (if you do you haven't been watching) Last night, against a VERY difficult and frustrating team to play against, they were simply relentless. They just kept coming in waves and banged at the wall until it caved in. Both nights you have to admit they started slowly, but the difference was twofold: 1) Oettinger kept them in the game Saturday (because if you get two down to Providence it's unlikely you will come back as they did against BC), and 2) They avoided the turnovers in their own end which have plagued them, solved the forecheck while adjusting their breakout, and carried sustained pressure in the offensive zone for long stretches.

I also stated last night that I was "100% wrong" about this team. Implicitly that (obviously - or it should be obvious) includes the coach. He IS part of the team - an integral part. I can only comment on what I see in real time. I don't have a crystal ball. I will also admit that I should probably wait until after the games to comment because I get emotional and impulsive during the game. But there is certainly no malicious intent. I want my team to win and, like many of us, I get frustrated when I don't believe they are playing up to their capabilities. We can discuss the psychology of living vicariously through others if you'd like. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. If I were perfect I most likely would be a billionaire living on a island somewhere and wouldn't care about this stuff.

I'm a fan. I have no affiliation with the team other than I have been watching BU Hockey since 1971. My "real" work has nothing to do with hockey (or sports). It's a passion and an interest. I do it because I derive satisfaction and enjoyment from it. There is no question it is easy to say anything when you're anonymous. And that's why, as I mentioned, I try to stay away from "personal" attacks and comments directed in a derisive manner. It's fun to discuss this stuff with others who share the same passion. Sometimes we all take things too personally. Sometimes we say things in the heat of the moment that we wish we hadn't. But at the end of the day we're all BU fans who want nothing more than our team to win. Obviously there are some people on this board that I annoy - I can name them even. But it's not "intentional." I could go through life completely detached and unemotional, but to me that's not living. I don't think I have been disrespectful towards anyone and if so I apologize. If I were good enough to play at this level I would have. But that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion. I'm not of the ilk of the people who say things like, "Well YOU can't criticize a parent because you don't have kids." Really? So then should an actor or actress not have an opinion about politics because they aren't running for office? Last time I checked we still had freedom of speech in this country. Also, I sort of thought the whole point of this forum was to HAVE an opinion. People don't have to read what I say if they don't like it. But again, it's not personal (in fact I don't actually know ANYONE on this thread - I have met a few from other threads in person). In fact, I don't even KNOW if I know people on this thread. Maybe I actually do but don't know them by their pseudonyms. In any event, nothing here is intended to be hurtful or malicious.
            Pretty sure he directed this one squarely at Jofa, who after the first UConn game said he hoped and expected Quinn and the staff would step down. Being critical of the team through the past few months was warranted, but calling for Quinn to resign or step down was insane.
            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
              Pretty sure he directed this one squarely at Jofa, who after the first UConn game said he hoped and expected Quinn and the staff would step down. Being critical of the team through the past few months was warranted, but calling for Quinn to resign or step down was insane.
              We need more of my takes and less of the passive milquetoast commentary that we see on here. Parker stayed 4 years too long and most were afraid to call him out. It led to scandals and a program meltdown that only the likes of Jack Eichel was able to save.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                You know, I’ve been complaining EVERY HE Tournament about wanting the first game. I, as a fan, have had to deal with the first game going into OT on more than one occasion, with once having BU’s game starting at 10:45. Never have I heard anybody but me being the whiner. Which is fine, that’s my role. Coach Leaman now calling their late game a factor. Saw one or two other comments from fans - need to take a look at it because teams that play in the late game have a disadvantage. Well, that’s the point. So, calling on Sean Pickett or any others here with the time to research which teams with the late game have won the championship game. I know in 2009, BU and BC had to wait for UML and NU as their game went into OT. And the BU-BC game should have been the first game as it was a 1-4 seeds game.
                Really, you're singling me out by name? However, I did do the research and of the 34 Hockey East tournaments 32 have had the semifinals back-to-back with the championship game the following day 30 times and 2 days later the other two (as part of HockeyFest). Of the 30 times the championship game was the next day the winner of the early game has won 21 times and the winner of the late game has won 9 times, with the winner of the early game winning both times the game was 2 days later. Of the 23 times the early semifinal winner won the title 17 times it was the higher seed in the final (17-6) and of the 9 times the late semifinal winner won the title 4 times it was the higher seed in the final (4-5). So, overall the higher seed in the final has won 21 times and lost 11 times. Also, the highest seed has had to play in the late semifinal 6 times, 3 times in the first 7 years and again in 2009, 2015 & 2016. Of those 6 times the top seed won their semifinal game 5 times and won the title 3 times.

I have created a simple spreadsheet showing each semifinal, champion and if the early or late semifinal winner won.

Sean
                Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                BU Hockey highlights and extras
                NCAA Hockey Financials
                Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Jofa View Post
                  We need more of my takes and less of the passive milquetoast commentary that we see on here. Parker stayed 4 years too long and most were afraid to call him out. It led to scandals and a program meltdown that only the likes of Jack Eichel was able to save.
                  You're being generous with the "4 years". First, the arena became an issue and the recruiting dropped off (not tremendously, but enough). Then his ability to motivate/discipline seemed to fall off.

He is a legend, did more for BU Hockey than anyone ever will. But the best time to move on would have been after the Drury class graduated. Then when he didn't go out on top after 2009, it became even more frustrating. Yes there were the occasional NCAA berths, and a couple chances at the FF (4OT vs St. Lawrence), but the program was no longer elite (one Frozen Four from 1997 to 2013).
                  BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post
                    You're being generous with the "4 years". First, the arena became an issue and the recruiting dropped off (not tremendously, but enough). Then his ability to motivate/discipline seemed to fall off.

He is a legend, did more for BU Hockey than anyone ever will. But the best time to move on would have been after the Drury class graduated. Then when he didn't go out on top after 2009, it became even more frustrating. Yes there were the occasional NCAA berths, and a couple chances at the FF (4OT vs St. Lawrence), but the program was no longer elite (one Frozen Four from 1997 to 2013).
                    I was being generous about the 4 because of the NC in ‘09. I was hating him in the 1980s then came the 90s so it shut me up. But the 99-13 stretch was mediocre at best

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post
                      I was going to pay the $47 through TM, then I saw that lovely $#%@&$^ fee impact. $19 in fees. It's f'in criminal.

I'm going to wait to see if they really do come close to selling out before dropping that extra $$ vs. buying one at the window.
                      I just paid $65.65 for a $47 ticket (section 212). Only after I paid was it revealed that this seat has a “camera obstruction”. Thanks Ticketmaster! 👍
                      Go BU!

Comment

Originally posted by RoughEmUp View Post
                        I just paid $65.65 for a $47 ticket (section 212). Only after I paid was it revealed that this seat has a “camera obstruction”. Thanks Ticketmaster! ��
                        That stinks. I'm in 213 (but first row), which is one section further away from the goal line (between face-off circle and blue line). What row? I wonder if they put the camera right behind the concourse?

Also revealing, though, because that means (unless you specifically wanted upper bowl) that there have been a lot of tickets sold, as I was led to believe.

Comment

I didn’t want to start the Parker rant again out of respect for my favorite poster Scarlet who is the most loyal and passionate BU fan and who admired Jack. She’s a class act.

Comment

Working...
                          X