X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 17-18 - thread El Segundo

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
    The statistics are overwhelming that teams leading going into the third period almost always win.
    BU has blown 3-1 leads heading into the third period in consecutive league games, with a tie and loss to inferior opposition.

Oettinger has not been as good, or as consistent, this season as last. But blaming him is wrong.
    I don't think anyone is blaming him in isolation. But he hasn't exactly been stellar either. Just look at tonight. A .750 save percentage (small sample size or not) isn't exactly phenomenal. In contrast, Creel stood on his head and kept BU from breaking it open long enough for his team to get back in the game.

My primary complaint is I just don't understand the "strategy." After pretty sustained pressure throughout (I mean, they scored twice within one minute of a UConn goal each time) they seemed to back off in the OT as if they were content with the tie. You play 60 minutes and then just "stop" in OT? As mentioned above, you don't dump it in and change lines after a 30-second shift. What's the point? You're not trying at that point to "establish" a pattern or wear the other team down by making them go 200 feet. At that point in the game, you either go for the win or you don't. Getting to the blue line and then turning around and going for a change, allowing the other team to carry the puck all the way out and advance into your end is hardly an aggressive strategy. "Getting the puck deep" doesn't do much good without players down there to do anything with it.

They might as well have just walked off the ice after regulation and forfeited. Did they think UConn was just going to hand them a goal? I'm just totally baffled. They seem to have this attitude that "we're BU so we can just put on the sweater and win." There never seems to be any sense of urgency. They don't finish games. They don't have a killer instinct. They don't take care of business. At some point, you can't just put it all on the players. Of course, how "vested" are they when many already have one foot out the door? You (not "you" specifically) can ridicule me all you want for continuing to point this out, but we have become nothing but an NHL farm team that seems to march to the whim of the USNTDP (or whatever the acronym is). Does anyone even care about the TEAM that represents the SCHOOL and the FANS? Doesn't seem like it to me...

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
      I don't think anyone is blaming him in isolation. But he hasn't exactly been stellar either. Just look at tonight. A .750 save percentage (small sample size or not) isn't exactly phenomenal. In contrast, Creel stood on his head and kept BU from breaking it open long enough for his team to get back in the game.

My primary complaint is I just don't understand the "strategy." After pretty sustained pressure throughout (I mean, they scored twice within one minute of a UConn goal each time) they seemed to back off in the OT as if they were content with the tie. You play 60 minutes and then just "stop" in OT? As mentioned above, you don't dump it in and change lines after a 30-second shift. What's the point? You're not trying at that point to "establish" a pattern or wear the other team down by making them go 200 feet. At that point in the game, you either go for the win or you don't. Getting to the blue line and then turning around and going for a change, allowing the other team to carry the puck all the way out and advance into your end is hardly an aggressive strategy. "Getting the puck deep" doesn't do much good without players down there to do anything with it.

They might as well have just walked off the ice after regulation and forfeited. Did they think UConn was just going to hand them a goal? I'm just totally baffled. They seem to have this attitude that "we're BU so we can just put on the sweater and win." There never seems to be any sense of urgency. They don't finish games. They don't have a killer instinct. They don't take care of business. At some point, you can't just put it all on the players. Of course, how "vested" are they when many already have one foot out the door? You (not "you" specifically) can ridicule me all you want for continuing to point this out, but we have become nothing but an NHL farm team that seems to march to the whim of the USNTDP (or whatever the acronym is). Does anyone even care about the TEAM that represents the SCHOOL and the FANS? Doesn't seem like it to me...
      So literary. You should have a in by now doing this job so much. Why not? Or you did?

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
        The statistics are overwhelming that teams leading going into the third period almost always win.
        BU has blown 3-1 leads heading into the third period in consecutive league games, with a tie and loss to inferior opposition.

Oettinger has not been as good, or as consistent, this season as last. But blaming him is wrong.
        Blaming him across the board is wrong, but he had a VERY bad night. A night off tomorrow would do him good.
        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Could be looking at a first rd matchup with him now. Which is nice...

Best finish would of course be 5th and not have to pay for a home game to watch this....
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
            Blaming him across the board is wrong, but he had a VERY bad night. A night off tomorrow would do him good.
            Good news is he won’t be leaving anytime soon
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I know he was only with BU for less than a year, but when he was here, I seem to recall he was referred to as Chris Bourque, not Christopher.

ETA - Also, watching the Team USA power play is like watching the BU power play. They also lose the face off to start it off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                I know he was only with BU for less than a year, but when he was here, I seem to recall he was referred to as Chris Bourque, not Christopher.

ETA - Also, watching the Team USA power play is like watching the BU power play. They also lose the face off to start it off.
                And the goaltender is awful. Two bad goals. Don’t know why they are using someone from the KHL.

Comment

The BU players have done well. McCarthy, Gilroy and Bourque have been solid and Greenway has at times been dominant at what he does best. They weren’t going to beat Russia anyway but you have college goalies that have been drafted by the NHL sitting at home in favor of a guy who is not going to make the NHL. Doesn’t make sense IMO.

Comment

the bu players have done well. Mccarthy, gilroy and bourque have been solid and greenway has at times been dominant at what he does best. They weren’t going to beat the olympic athletes from russia anyway but you have college goalies that have been drafted by the nhl sitting at home in favor of a guy who is not going to make the nhl. Doesn’t make sense imo.
                    fyp

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance View Post
                      fyp
                      No difference except that the medals won't be "officially" credited to the country. The players are the same. It's still Russia. Or did you think they were playing Argentina?

Comment

So Brien Diffley is playing tonight, played last night too. And scored! Did something happen to Crotty? I was surprised and a little disappointed he didn’t play on Monday. He’s a senior, it was his last one, I don’t think the outcome would’ve changed with him vs. Crotty.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                          So Brien Diffley is playing tonight, played last night too. And scored! Did something happen to Crotty? I was surprised and a little disappointed he didn’t play on Monday. He’s a senior, it was his last one, I don’t think the outcome would’ve changed with him vs. Crotty.
                          Crotty got hurt Monday.
                          It Happened!!!!

Comment

And the goaltender is awful. Two bad goals. Don’t know why they are using someone from the KHL.
                            USA Hockey made a lot of mistakes in selecting their roster. Having some seniority is good, but they left home a lot of collegiate players in all positions who will play in the NHL in favor of career minor leaguers.
                            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                              USA Hockey made a lot of mistakes in selecting their roster. Having some seniority is good, but they left home a lot of collegiate players in all positions who will play in the NHL in favor of career minor leaguers.
                              Exactly!

Comment

Since we are now in the win or go home portion of the Olympic hockey tournament, should the US lose tomorrow, what are the odds we see Greenway back for the Vermont series?

Comment

Working...
                                X