This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defensemen Best PPG in a Season Since the Start of Hockey East

Today I was asked for ppg for defensemen for a season and I was surprised with the top players since the start of Hockey East in 1984. I only included players who played at least 10 games on defense during the season (otherwise you would get a few anomalies like Ahti Oksanen playing on defense for just 1 game in 2014-15 but leading all defensemen with 4.000 ppg). Matt Grzelcyk was fourth with 0.927 ppg in 2014-15, which I had not taken notice of at the time. Of the top three, two broke a point a game. Any guesses as to the top three (and season for bonus points)?

Sean
    Last edited by Sean Pickett; 03-15-2018, 12:15 AM.
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
    BU Hockey highlights and extras
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
      Today I was asked for ppg for defensemen for a season and I was surprised with the top players since the start of Hockey East in 1984. I only included players who played at least 10 games on defense during the season (otherwise you would get a few anomalies like Ahti Oksanen playing on defense for just 1 game in 2014-15 but leading all defensemen with 4.000 ppg). Matt Grzelcyk was fourth with 0.927 ppg in 2014-15, which I had not taken notice of at the time. Of the top three, two broke a point a game. Any guesses as to the top three (and season for bonus points)?

Sean
      I think you made a mistake somewhere in there. I went looking back (using total games, not conference games, since Grzelcyk's average is .927 over the entire 41-game schedule) and I've found 7 seasons over 1.00 just from 2002-Present.

Edit: I'm realizing now that you were probably going for only BU players, I was looking at all of Hockey East.
      Last edited by TheRevengeance; 03-15-2018, 09:12 AM.

Comment

• Re: Boston University 17-18 - thread El Segundo

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
        I think you made a mistake somewhere in there....
        thems is fightin' words when it comes to Sean's data!!!!
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I would think Tom Poti's sophomore season would be among the top 4. Maybe Peter Ahola in '90-'91? Kaj Linna in '94-95?
          BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Vic Stanfield 70 points in 32 games in 74-75 2.1875
            Dick Lamby 59 points in 30 games in 77-78 1.966
            Bobby Brown 60 points in 31 games in 70-71 1.935
            The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

HEA Awards are tonight, anyone taking shots at who wins the major awards?

Player of the Year: Gaudette, NU (no-brainer)

Coach of the Year: Madigan, NU (a bit up in the air, could very well be York, but NU is the consensus best team in Hockey East and they were 5th pre-season)

Rookie of the Year: Primeau, NU (closest race, could very well be Hutsko, and skaters tend to be favored for this. Also, do they want NU to sweep the top awards? Pretty hard to ignore a goalie who led the league in GAA and sv pct.)

Comment

BC won the league without a dominant line and player like NU has. It should be York all day long but he never seems to win so you could end up being right. Or they'll share it.

ROTY is a little tougher because you are comparing different positions. Because of that I think Primeau and Hutsko will share that one. Hutsko was a PPG player in league play, far and away ahead of the next closest guy at .83. His PPG clip also had him tied with Greenway and Foley...only behind the big three from NU. If there was someone close to Hutsko I would say Primeau alone.

Comment

And yes NU was picked 5th and finished 2nd but BC was picked 4th and finished 1st. So the preseason predictions were a wash.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                    BC won the league without a dominant line and player like NU has. It should be York all day long but he never seems to win so you could end up being right. Or they'll share it.

What I was wondering is if we are supposed to be looking at this through a prism of HEA games only or more at the whole season. If it is HEA only, it is very close with maybe a slight edge to York for winning the regular season (both BC and NU went up the same number of spots from the pre-season poll). If it is overall body of work, it is Madigan since it would be hard to give COY for a team that couldn't muster a single non-conference win. I would think it would be HEA only but since this is more of an award based on opinion than statistics, voters may be swayed by NU being the best overall team.

Why would having a dominant line be used against Madigan? They are juniors and seniors which I believe came into the leagues relatively unheralded. Madigan should be credited for developing them.
                    Last edited by Tater; 03-15-2018, 09:18 AM.

Comment

One last edge I would give York is only having one senior, a grad transfer. A team ahead of schedule really.

Comment

So vote Madigan
                        Jerry doesn’t deserve it
                        Cause they always win
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
                          What I was wondering when I was looking at this is if we are supposed to be looking at this through a prism of HEA games only or more at the whole season. If it is HEA only, it is very close with maybe a slight edge to York for winning the regular season (both BC and NU went up the same number of spots from the pre-season poll). If it is overall body of work, it is Madigan since it would be hard to give COY for a team that couldn't muster a single non-conference win. I would think it would be HEA only but since this is more of an award based on opinion than statistics, voters may be swayed by NU being the best overall team.

Why would having a dominant line be used against Madigan? They are juniors and seniors which I believe came into the leagues relatively unheralded. Madigan should be credited for developing them.
                          I've always thought they vote on these things based on league play. Maybe I'm wrong but considering everyone can have different non conference opponents it would make sense to do it that way. For example, BC played St. Cloud, Denver, Northern Michigan, Michigan Tech, Harvard. NU played Sacred Heart, RIT, AIC and Bentley. Best non conference team they played this year was Quinnipiac and they weren't a good team this year (BC should start scheduling cupcakes apparently). The NU players may have come into the league unheralded but they were established players coming into this year. It's not like that trio came out of nowhere and surprised everyone this year. Should be easier to coach when you have more talent. Everyone seems to agree that NU is more talented than BC this year but BC still managed to win the league. If you gave York NUs roster and Madigan BCs roster my money would be on York. We'll never know but I do believe that.
                          Last edited by J.D.; 03-15-2018, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
                            What I was wondering is if we are supposed to be looking at this through a prism of HEA games only or more at the whole season. If it is HEA only, it is very close with maybe a slight edge to York for winning the regular season (both BC and NU went up the same number of spots from the pre-season poll). If it is overall body of work, it is Madigan since it would be hard to give COY for a team that couldn't muster a single non-conference win. I would think it would be HEA only but since this is more of an award based on opinion than statistics, voters may be swayed by NU being the best overall team.

When they give stats for the players it is always conference only, so I would assume that for coach it is supposed to be conference only. Of course, no matter what they are supposed to use as the criteria you know that they don't vote in a vacuum and I think the poor OOC record for BC hurts Coach York, even if it's not supposed to. That said, this is the second best conference and regular season record by winning percentage NU has had since the start of Hockey East, so I think Coach Madigan gets COTY.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                            NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

I think you made a mistake somewhere in there. I went looking back (using total games, not conference games, since Grzelcyk's average is .927 over the entire 41-game schedule) and I've found 7 seasons over 1.00 just from 2002-Present.
                              You have me at a disadvantage, as you didn't name the 7 players, so I can't see why we have such a major difference. If you let me know the players I can hopefully determine why there is a difference. As I said, I am only counting games played at defense, not a player's entire season. For example, this season David Farrance has played 27 games, 17 at defense and 10 at forward; my defensemen scoring stats for him this season only include the 17 games at defense.

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                              thems is fightin' words when it comes to Sean's data!!!!
                              Not fightin' words exactly, but if I'm wrong then my entire database is wrong and that would not be good...

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                              I would think Tom Poti's sophomore season would be among the top 4. Maybe Peter Ahola in '90-'91? Kaj Linna in '94-95?
                              Tom Poti's sophomore season is correct, he averaged 1.105 ppg on defense in 1997-98 for second best on the list. Peter Ahola's 1990-91 season is a great guess, but it comes in 5th at 0.923 ppg, just behind Matt Grzelcyk. Kaj Linna is not even close the top, with his 1994-95 season 29th at 0.730 ppg and his best season, 1992-93, 19th at 0.778 ppg. Still need 1st and 3rd, although I don't expect anyone to correctly guess who's first.

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                              Vic Stanfield 70 points in 32 games in 74-75 2.1875
                              Dick Lamby 59 points in 30 games in 77-78 1.966
                              Bobby Brown 60 points in 31 games in 70-71 1.935
                              Thanks Rogie, someday I may get all the game-by-game stats entered into my database. In the meantime, the highest average I do have in my database is Bob Maker, who played 21 games at defense in 1946-47 and had a 2.381 ppg average.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                              NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Edit: I'm realizing now that you were probably going for only BU players, I was looking at all of Hockey East.
                                Yes, I meant just BU players. Hopefully that accounts for the difference.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                                NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Working...
                                X