ESPN and Hockey East Reach Multi-Year Agreement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ESPN and Hockey East Reach Multi-Year Agreement

ESPN appears to be confusing college hockey with basketball. I mean showing 4 UConn games?!?! And non-conference Quinnipiac gets one more game than both UVM and Maine? Granted, we suck, but c'mon!

Comment

Originally posted by Rainman View Post
      Why why WHY do they NEVER show NHL highlights during SportsCenter?
      Q: Is ESPN generating any revenue from the NHL by showing their games?
      A: No. So as a result they don't care about the NHL. ESPN would rather show you a spelling bee, HS cheer competitions or any other crap programming that pays their way onto their channel.

Ryan
      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
      Originally posted by geezer
      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
      Originally posted by manurespreader
      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
        ESPN appears to be confusing college hockey with basketball. I mean showing 4 UConn games?!?! And non-conference Quinnipiac gets one more game than both UVM and Maine? Granted, we suck, but c'mon!
        Aren't all UVM and Maine home games already streamed for free?

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
          What has the ESPN3 experience been like? Is it like the BU Agganis feed, a high quality HD feed of the game with minimal production value, or is it closer to a full-fledged TV production?
          When I watched a Quinnipiac women's game, it was pretty similar to what Quinnipiac was putting out previously. So that tells me ESPN3 is merely acting as a distributor.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            When I watched a Quinnipiac women's game, it was pretty similar to what Quinnipiac was putting out previously. So that tells me ESPN3 is merely acting as a distributor.
            That's exactly what's going on. All production being done in-house on Q equipment. ESPN3 is merely a carrier.
            Quinnipiac Bobcats
            2023 National Champions
            ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
            ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
            East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
            Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
            Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
            Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

That's what NESN Plus just did this past wknd with the NU-Maine hockey game as well.

It was the NU announcers / play by play guys, and also NU student journalists between periods & NU commercials in between periods etc. Now i'm not sure if that's what folks in Maine/ elsewhere saw (between periods) .. but around here it was clear they were merely distributing (airing) the NU feed on TV. Nesn + used everything the U provides on its stream already.
              GO NU HOCKEY
              Always bullish on the future.
              We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                That's what NESN Plus just did this past wknd with the NU-Maine hockey game as well.

It was the NU announcers / play by play guys, and also NU student journalists between periods & NU commercials in between periods etc. Now i'm not sure if that's what folks in Maine/ elsewhere saw (between periods) .. but around here it was clear they were merely distributing (airing) the NU feed on TV. Nesn + used everything the U provides on its stream already.

i want to add... if airing it this way got them to save $$$ and get the hockey to more households (i'm sure it did), than what the stream does... i'm for it.
                GO NU HOCKEY
                Always bullish on the future.
                We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post

At the beginning of the decade, when TWCS would broadcast RPI games (and simulcast on NHL Network a couple times), they'd bring in their own crew to do it all (albeit a few times they grabbed RPI grads). After a few years of that and finding it was both expensive and not very high quality (the decline of B2/A1 had a little to do with that as well), RPI-TV would produce it all in-house, add some commercials, and send to TWCS. From what I understand when I asked them about it a few years ago, the cost for TV was substantial to pick it up because they'd have to bring out an uplink truck, so RPI-TV chose to just distribute it themselves first on their own platform with third-party software, and now on YouTube.

It's not all that surprising that TV stations would depend on experienced producers at the sites to run the cameras since they'd save a ton of money. If the TV uplink hurdle could be crossed, I'm sure we could potentially see a lot more become available.

Comment

Equivalent of a cbj
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                      Let's plan the parade for Joe Bertagna. What an accomplishment.

Comment

Mookie can’t stream ESPN (intl)

Comment

Originally posted by Rainman View Post
                          While we’re on the topic of ESPN -

Why why WHY do they NEVER show NHL highlights during SportsCenter? They’ll show countless NBA highlights but not NHL! It’s SO annoying!
                          Nobody cares about hockey (outside of our small minority)

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                            Mookie can’t stream ESPN (intl)
                            Can you VPN or get NESNGO?
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              Can you VPN or get NESNGO?
                              Can watch NESN yes

Comment

It's not all that surprising that TV stations would depend on experienced producers at the sites to run the cameras since they'd save a ton of money. If the TV uplink hurdle could be crossed, I'm sure we could potentially see a lot more become available.
                                That 6 year old kid makes millons of dollars livestreaming to Youtube on an iphone.

Comment

Working...
                                X