Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ESPN and Hockey East Reach Multi-Year Agreement

Originally posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
    That 6 year old kid makes millons of dollars livestreaming to Youtube on an iphone.
    But how well does the translation from Youtube live streams (or any live stream for that matter) to television go? What is involved in that?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      But how well does the translation from Youtube live streams (or any live stream for that matter) to television go? What is involved in that?
      I watched WRPI this weekend using ROKU's YouTube app. Very clear, TV quality.

It will depend on the amount of bandwidth allocated by the school (if using direct to web) or your internet provider.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

It will depend on the amount of bandwidth allocated by the school (if using direct to web) or your internet provider.
        RPI-TV sends to YouTube, though, so of course that's going to be fine. What I'm referring to is taking a "live stream" and putting it onto a television channel, such as NESN, SNY, etc.
        Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 01-17-2018, 11:20 AM.

Comment

I watched the Notre Dame RPI games on the WRPI stream. Was very impressed with the quality of the broadcast. Great video, no streaming issues at all and the play by play guy was even decent.

Comment

Just to differentiate: WRPI is RPI's student-run radio channel which also now broadcasts on the web http://www.wrpi.org/. RPI-TV refers to the also student-run on-line video stream http://rpitv.org/. They use WRPI's audio for men's hockey broadcasts, although for an unknown-to-me reason do not broadcast pregame and between period interviews and banter.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              Just to differentiate: WRPI is RPI's student-run radio channel which also now broadcasts on the web http://www.wrpi.org/. RPI-TV refers to the also student-run on-line video stream http://rpitv.org/. They use WRPI's audio for men's hockey broadcasts, although for an unknown-to-me reason do not broadcast pregame and between period interviews and banter.
              The pregame is because RPI-TV has their own opening procedure, which happens separately to WRPI's pregame. Not to mention, it usually cuts into the lineup introductions and sometimes anthems, which is part of what RPI-TV wants to show. As for the between period interviews, they at least did them during their most recent game. Usually they turn it off because the RPI-TV producers do not want the Public Service Announcements that WRPI airs on the stream.

Comment

https://twitter.com/bobwcvb/status/953812701402320898
                It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                  Aren't all UVM and Maine home games already streamed for free?
                  Yes, in fact I think you can watch replays, too.
                  CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                    That's what NESN Plus just did this past wknd with the NU-Maine hockey game as well.

It was the NU announcers / play by play guys, and also NU student journalists between periods & NU commercials in between periods etc. Now i'm not sure if that's what folks in Maine/ elsewhere saw (between periods) .. but around here it was clear they were merely distributing (airing) the NU feed on TV. Nesn + used everything the U provides on its stream already.
                    I think the NU production is very good. I'm usually impressed with the video quality and the broadcasters do a good job as well.
                    CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

The #1 goal for Hockey East should be creating and distributing a "Pay Per View" internet package like the NCHC and to a lesser extent, the new WCHA. Why can't or why won't the league get it together? I don't think this question has been definitively answered.
                      Last edited by Dirty Dream No. 2; 01-20-2018, 12:18 PM.
                      CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Dream No. 2 View Post
                        The #1 goal for Hockey East should be creating and distributing a "Pay Per View" internet package like the NCHC and to a lesser extent, the new WCHA. Why can't or why won't the league get it together? I don't think this question has been definitively answered.
                        Some schools subsidize the stream (whether on their own, through a student union, or alumni donations) in order to advertise the product. In person audience doesn't really change all that much as people will find a way to experience the game, even if it's radio. However, when you make the video available to potential recruits, whether live or in archive, it's a great tool for the schools with not so big of a reputation to get their name out there. By forcing pay per view, you give more power to the "haves".

Comment

That sounds like a lot of work. HEA would probably rather just let the schools handle it. Don’t they only have like 4 full time employees?

Comment

I really enjoyed seeing WI and ND on NBC Sportsnet this afternoon. Too bad it was opposite the AFC Championship game. (Though I did have clicker luck and saw all 3 goals). Hockey East should work to get a few games on the National Hockey Network. #QualityExposure
                            It Happened!!!!

Comment

I just recently bought into the WCHA tv to watch NMU. I am very pleased with the quality picture on my TV. We get replays and the play by play comes from the local radio station. Cost me 20 bucks to get five games, and I can get every league game streamed for the season for a little over 100.

For us lesser teams, it's great.
                              “They are a **** site better than the U.S. Army, at least we know that they will be there in the morning.”
                              – Lewis B. Chesty Puller
                              when a journalist asked him about being surrounded by 22. enemy divisions

Comment

I watched the Ivy League Network this year. It was decent.

Originally posted by devildog View Post
                                I just recently bought into the WCHA tv to watch NMU. I am very pleased with the quality picture on my TV. We get replays and the play by play comes from the local radio station. Cost me 20 bucks to get five games, and I can get every league game streamed for the season for a little over 100.

For us lesser teams, it's great.
                                WCHA.tv is very, very, very dependent upon the school providing the broadcast. Bemidji used to have the best broadcast before the school cut ties with the local public TV affiliate who'd broadcast their games for years. Mankato has a great broadcast as well. UAH and LSSU ... well, they have a broadcast.

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X