Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Clarkson @ RPI, Saturday, 1/13/18

next week's thread
    http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...le-(1-19-1-20)
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
      Of course. The point that I was trying to make is that if he was wearing an RPI jacket he has probably already committed to RPI. Why buy an RPI jacket if you are not going there? It won't look good if you end up at the salt dome.
      Sorry I didn’t get back to you earlier on this. He does look older, maybe 19 or 20, has blond hair and looks like a possible Swede (or Scandinavian Country). I know that doesn’t help much.

Comment

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
        Sorry I didn’t get back to you earlier on this. He does look older, maybe 19 or 20, has blond hair and looks like a possible Swede (or Scandinavian Country). I know that doesn’t help much.
        I looked for possible Wallys, but nothing seemed likely.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
          Except for the Wally it sounds like you’re describing Ott.
          Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            I looked for possible Wallys, but nothing seemed likely.
            You really should be looking for the Beaver instead.
            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Would it be out of line to ? you get a brief 5 on 3 with minutes remaining and are down 2-0. Face off in their zone. Why would you not pull your goalie and go 6 on 3 briefly and then stay 6 on 4? if you get one back fine, if not what did you lose? Just trying to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                You really should be looking for the Beaver instead.
                Good point.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Would it be out of line to ? you get a brief 5 on 3 with minutes remaining and are down 2-0. Face off in their zone. Why would you not pull your goalie and go 6 on 3 briefly and then stay 6 on 4? if you get one back fine, if not what did you lose? Just trying to understand.
                  My guess is that they never practice that situation and wouldn't know where to put the sixth player.
                  My question is, why isn't Jerry on the first power play unit?
                  We currently have three players that can score. Wilson, Liljegren and Jerry. But we use Burgess on the PP. He is scoring at a rate of 1 for 33 total, and 0 for 17 in conference. He has had multiple great scoring chance and still can't score. I know he gets assists, but so do many others. We need someone who can actually put the puck in the net on the PP. JMO
                  Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                  Benjamin Franklin
                  The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                  Gary Player

Comment

The opposition's permission to ice the puck is why you don't do it, at least not that early. Coupled with our difficulty of achieving extra attacker goals (I don't even know the last time we had one; would have to dig up CHS to figure it out, but I do recall, when one of the Cornell ushers wanted to banter, mentioning they were the only ones in the previous year to give up an EAG on us), I'd say that's why.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                      The opposition's permission to ice the puck is why you don't do it, at least not that early. Coupled with our difficulty of achieving extra attacker goals (I don't even know the last time we had one; would have to dig up CHS to figure it out, but I do recall, when one of the Cornell ushers wanted to banter, mentioning they were the only ones in the previous year to give up an EAG on us), I'd say that's why.
                      That is the second time on this thread that you chose to educate myself and DrD on the workings of a game in progress. Both the good doctor and I have been following hockey before you were born.
                      We are fully aware of what you have said. But questioning the referees and the coaches is all part of the experience of being a fan.
                      Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                      Benjamin Franklin
                      The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                      Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                        That is the second time on this thread that you chose to educate myself and DrD on the workings of a game in progress. Both the good doctor and I have been following hockey before you were born.
                        We are fully aware of what you have said. But questioning the referees and the coaches is all part of the experience of being a fan.
                        Pretty sad that you have to challenge an opinion to answering a question with the age card. And as much as one can question the coaches and refs, one can also defend them if they're doing, in the person's opinion, the right thing.

Over three minutes just seems like too much time left for that kind of a risk, especially when you consider they can ice the puck, ENG, no chance whatsoever. Obviously we've been used to an aggressive pulling from the previous coach, but I really didn't see too much of a noticeable difference when it happened. How much of that can be attributed to the specific players vs. setups, I don't know. One thing I do see, though, is faith from the coach in the team's 5v4 to get something going, which to be fair we did see, albeit without any goals (at least one piper). Might as well give that a fair shake, and then if that's not working, start thinking about putting in the extra man to keep said advantage. Sure, we had just had a couple a few minutes prior, but how much of it was spent sustaining the zone vs. clears? Have to also consider that in a decision.

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                          Appreciate this response. I often ask some of the simplest questions because what seems obvious to me after watching hockey for 65 years, RPI hockey for 54 years and playing the sport for quite some time when younger, is just not seen by many others. i fully understand our difficulties on the power play and even more so how poorly we perform at 5 on 3 as compared to other teams. That was my reason for asking why not go for broke with a 6 on 3 when it presents itself (I mean how often does anyone think the refs will be kind enough to give us that kind of advantage?). I do like to question the coaching and the officiating when it seems to be doing some odd things (or making inconsistent calls as the case may be).
                          By the way, your comment on who should be on the power play is spot on. Changes need to be made. The power play is a time for rapid decision making and rapid puck movement and simply stated, some players do it better than others. Special teams can often be a matter of finding the right chemistry. I suppose our older eyes sometimes see things that others do not.

Comment

Dude: Often your responses are quite informative. This time you either misread my question or I did not make my self clear enough. We were already given a brief 5 on 3 soon to be a 5 on 4. We were playing a team that we have been zero for almost nine periods this year. We cannot put on in the net against them unless we do something drastic. If we cannot get one 6 on 3 and then with a prolonged 6 on 4 (regardless of their ability to ice the puck) then we will not score against them at all. i appreciate what you offer as a response but simply choose to not believe it to apply to this situation in particular. i am all about wins and winning games we should. We lost to Brown late after being up 4-1 and we lost a late lead to Dartmouth. Our standing in the league would be vastly different if we hols on to win those games or even to maintain the lead early this year up at SLU. Add to that, I believe this team suffers a drop in confidence after each one of these collapses. Mentally they have to be thinking in game with the lead "When does this come apart and we lose?" Nothing breeds confidence and a secure feeling about holding the lead as much as actually winning.

Comment

Dude: Often your responses are quite informative. This time you either misread my question or I did not make my self clear enough. We were already given a brief 5 on 3 soon to be a 5 on 4. We were playing a team that we have been zero for almost nine periods this year. We cannot put on in the net against them unless we do something drastic. If we cannot get one 6 on 3 and then with a prolonged 6 on 4 (regardless of their ability to ice the puck) then we will not score against them at all. i appreciate what you offer as a response but simply choose to not believe it to apply to this situation in particular. i am all about wins and winning games we should. We lost to Brown late after being up 4-1 and we lost a late lead to Dartmouth. Our standing in the league would be vastly different if we hols on to win those games or even to maintain the lead early this year up at SLU. Add to that, I believe this team suffers a drop in confidence after each one of these collapses. Mentally they have to be thinking in game with the lead "When does this come apart and we lose?" Nothing breeds confidence and a secure feeling about holding the lead as much as actually winning.
                              I took your question at face value. By your clarification, you viewed it as "play to score", and I approached the situation as "play to win". We disagree, and that's going to happen.

Comment

I took your question at face value. By your clarification, you viewed it as "play to score", and I approached the situation as "play to win". We disagree, and that's going to happen.
                                We tend to agree more than we disagree but I have always felt you have to play to score or else there is no chance to play to win. Just a minor difference of wording rather than thinking.

Comment

Working...
                                X