Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Syracuse Orange-Is it time for a Coaching Change??

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    4

    Syracuse Orange-Is it time for a Coaching Change??

    What is happening at Syracuse?
    They are 6-14-2?
    They have lost 6 of their last 7 games, does anyone have any idea what is happening with the team?
    Is there coaching issues?

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,343
    Quote Originally Posted by HoneyBadger! View Post
    What is happening at Syracuse?
    They are 6-14-2?
    They have lost 6 of their last 7 games, does anyone have any idea what is happening with the team?
    Is there coaching issues?
    Sometime before Christmas I had suggested the need for a change on another thread and some people jumped all over me but I know what I'm talking about and it is time for a change. He's a very nice guy but he isn't getting the job done. The school/athletic administration might not care if this program wins though so he might be secure.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Isolated in the mid west
    Posts
    70

    Re: Syracuse Orange-Is it time for a Coaching Change??

    Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    Sometime before Christmas I had suggested the need for a change on another thread and some people jumped all over me but I know what I'm talking about and it is time for a change. He's a very nice guy but he isn't getting the job done. The school/athletic administration might not care if this program wins though so he might be secure.
    Getting lazy on the scouting department and appears to be riding it out until retirement. Taking too many players from one jr. team and some are not very strong. No big impact players the last few years.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    4

    Re: Syracuse Orange-Is it time for a Coaching Change??

    I believe this is Flanagan's 10th year, it seems like the program should be further ahead than it is by now. The question is would Syracuse's administration be this patient with the football or basketball teams performance?

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Rochester, NY USA
    Posts
    4,735

    Re: Syracuse Orange-Is it time for a Coaching Change??

    Quote Originally Posted by HoneyBadger! View Post
    I believe this is Flanagan's 10th year, it seems like the program should be further ahead than it is by now. The question is would Syracuse's administration be this patient with the football or basketball teams performance?
    I assume that's a rhetorical question...
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    4

    Re: Syracuse Orange-Is it time for a Coaching Change??

    What are people hearing that is happening at SU? They have now lost 7 of their last 8 games?
    This team has a ton of talent.

  7. #7
    Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    The Gopher State
    Posts
    20,294

    Re: Syracuse Orange-Is it time for a Coaching Change??

    It seems like there are always two different opinions expressed in threads like these. One is that the coach can't recruit, so he should be replaced. The other is that the team has a ton of talent but isn't winning, so the coach should be replaced.

    So we get two camps that don't agree at all, but wind up in perfect agreement. Every once in a while, somebody speaks out in favor of the coach, and then is accused of being the coach. Eventually the coach is replaced, the team doesn't improve, but nobody ever shows up to concede that maybe the previous coach wasn't that bad after all.

    Personally, I think that most teams these days are pretty well-coached, so even small errors can prove costly to a program. It's not an easy job to go to any of these programs and make a quick impact. What are some of the teams that are on the rise this year? Colgate, Ohio State, Maine, Providence. Search for comments made about the coaches of those teams, and I bet you'll find more negative than positive on this forum. Apparently, teams win because the players are great, and they lose because the coaches aren't.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Minny
    Posts
    1,457
    Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post

    So we get two camps that don't agree at all, but wind up in perfect agreement. Every once in a while, somebody speaks out in favor of the coach, and then is accused of being the coach.

    What are some of the teams that are on the rise this year? Colgate, Ohio State, Maine, Providence. Search for comments made about the coaches of those teams, and I bet you'll find more negative than positive on this forum. Apparently, teams win because the players are great, and they lose because the coaches aren't.
    One time I praised Katie King-Crowley as being a very good recruiter.....I'll never make that mistake again....lol

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,459

    Re: Syracuse Orange-Is it time for a Coaching Change??

    Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    What are some of the teams that are on the rise this year? Colgate, Ohio State, Maine, Providence. Search for comments made about the coaches of those teams, and I bet you'll find more negative than positive on this forum. Apparently, teams win because the players are great, and they lose because the coaches aren't.
    - Colgate - I can't think of a single negative comment about Fargo on this forum - he was great at Elmira and has done wonders at Colgate
    - Ohio State - Minimal negative comments if any about the coach here
    - Maine - Definitely a large number of negative comments about the coaching here including me - quite the turnaround - kudos
    - Providence - Ditto the Main thoughts.

    So 50-50. I think new coaches generally get a pretty fair amount of time to get their stuff together and show progress on the forum. I've been hating on the Brown coach pretty seriously this season, but I think that one is reasonable given the considerable downward spiral since he took over 2 years ago.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Sunny SoCal - Home of the Cup
    Posts
    214

    Re: Syracuse Orange-Is it time for a Coaching Change??

    I think they need a facilities upgrade more than anything else. The rink is well below average and so are the locker rooms/facilities as compared to other women's teams. If you look at recently upgraded schools like Colgate, Penn State and some in process of upgrades like Princeton, its got to be hard to compete on the recruiting trail.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    ellicott city, md, usa
    Posts
    10,311

    Re: Syracuse Orange-Is it time for a Coaching Change??

    So true, I have been to the Tennity Ice Pavilion or as I refer to it as the Tennity Rinky Dinky Rink. Just is not a Division I caliber facility.
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014 & 2017 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years)

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    4

    Re: Syracuse Orange-Is it time for a Coaching Change??

    Cuse is entering the weekend on a 3 game losing streak. The team is much more talented than their current 9-17-2 record indicates.
    After 8 Seasons at Syracuse, Flanagan has a record of 147-158-37 for a 43% winning percentage.
    How much longer will the administration accept this coaching performance?
    The players have to be getting frustrated and deserve better.
    Syracuse is a great school academically, great location to recruit, why has this program under performed?
    Thoughts?

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,459
    Quote Originally Posted by HoneyBadger! View Post
    Cuse is entering the weekend on a 3 game losing streak. The team is much more talented than their current 9-17-2 record indicates.
    After 8 Seasons at Syracuse, Flanagan has a record of 147-158-37 for a 43% winning percentage.
    How much longer will the administration accept this coaching performance?
    The players have to be getting frustrated and deserve better.
    Syracuse is a great school academically, great location to recruit, why has this program under performed?
    Thoughts?
    Great academic school? No offense to the fine students of Syracuse University but great academics is never what anybody thinks of when they think of Syracuse. Average maybe.

    And in what world is Syracuse a great location to recruit!? Who wants to go to Syracuse, NY? I've spent some time there and it is no prize.

    Flanagan is a decent coach who has done a passable job recruiting to a school that clearly does not care about it's women's college hockey program. They're only there to satisfy the title IX requirements. He make some use of the scholarships in a positive way and lands a few good players now and then. I'm not sure you could really hope for more.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •