Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power rankings making conference play irrelevant

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    BSU: Third-place finish in their penultimate CHA season; they won three of the last six tournament titles and made the NCAAs as an at-large bid in 2009-2010
    RIT: Third-place team in 2009-2010 in just their fifth Division I season
    Third Place? Did they re-institute the consolation game at the FF in 2009 and 2010 and I missed it? Cause I saw BSU and RIT lose in the Semis and both left town shortly thereafter.
    Can't we all just get along?
    Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

My team got screwed! thread

Isn't this thread mis-titled, and should be "My team got screwed!"?

Comment

Want to make life interesting? Each league gets 1 bid.

Right now the NCAA would be
        SCSU
        ND
        NMU
        AFA
        BU
        Princeton

Wednesday nite
        AFA v NMU
        PU v BU

Thursday
        AFA/NMU v SCSU
        PU/BU v ND

Saturday
        Finals
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

SCSU
          ND
          NMU
          AFA
          BU
          Princeton

Wednesday nite
          AFA v NMU
          PU v BU

Thursday
          AFA/NMU v SCSU
          PU/BU v ND

Saturday
          Finals
          I don't recall the 'Cats winning anything this year
          MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

SCSU
            ND
            NMU
            AFA
            BU
            Princeton

Wednesday nite
            AFA v NMU
            PU v BU

Thursday
            AFA/NMU v SCSU
            PU/BU v ND

Saturday
            Finals
            Princeton isn't in if SCSU is in, or vice versa. How are you selecting these teams?

r

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
              Third Place? Did they re-institute the consolation game at the FF in 2009 and 2010 and I missed it? Cause I saw BSU and RIT lose in the Semis and both left town shortly thereafter.
              I was just marking down information from USCHO and not spending the time trying to run stuff like that to ground.

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
                I don't recall the 'Cats winning anything this year
                brain fart - MTU.
                brain fart 2 - DU
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
                  Princeton isn't in if SCSU is in, or vice versa. How are you selecting these teams?

r
                  try this again. I upgafuked the conference champs.
                  B1G - ND
                  NCHC - DU
                  HEA - BU
                  ECAC - PU
                  WCHA - MTU
                  AHA - AFA

Byes - ND & DU
                  QF - BU/AFA and PU/MTU
                  SF ND v PU/MTU & DU v BU/AFA
                  F semi winners
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

You could construct a scenario (whether it's a good one matters about how you feel about the leagues of smaller schools) where each league gets two bids: one for the regular season champion, one for the conference tournament champion, with two potential twists:

1. If the RS champ wins the tournament, they get a first-round bye.
                    2. If the RS champ wins the tournament, another at-large team can be added to the tournament.
                    Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
                    I like the idea of RS and Playoff Champ getting auto-bids. But I'd change your twists. If the RS Champ wins is also the Playoff Champ, the Playoff Runner-up gets the other bid.
                    Back in 1994 Colorado College rose from last place the the previous season to win the WCHA regular season, but after being upset in the WCHA quarterfinals 2 games to 1, they were not selected for the NCAA tournament. There was much complaining about how autobids were awarded and how the regular season champion deserved an autobid. Supposedly the committee then added a "CC Rule" that the RS champion of each league would always be selected until the NCAA learned of the rule and let it be known that each league was to get only one autobid, determined by each league. I have no idea if such a rule was ever invoked, but no regular season champion missed the tournament until the formation of the MAAC in 1998-99, when no MAAC team made the NCAA tournament. The following season the CHA was formed and Niagara won the regular season and tournament titles and made the NCAA field as an at-large team. Then in 2001 Clarkson won the ECAC regular season, was upset in the quarterfinals 2 games to 1 and missed the NCAA tournament.

As for byes, the NCAA tournament had them from 1988 through 2002. In 1988 no teams won both league titles, in 1989 only one did, in 1990 all four did and in 1991 three teams did. Of the 8 teams only one, Clarkson in 1991, failed to get a bye. Again there was much complaining about how a regular season and tournament champion deserved a bye, with many calling for a "Clarkson Rule" to insure that would happen. To my knowledge no such rule was ever invoked by the committee, but no other double champion from Hockey East, ECAC, CCHA or WCHA missed the bye until Michigan in 2002. Niagara (CHA, 2000) and Mercyhurst (MAAC, 2001) also won both leagues titles, but did not receive byes.

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                    The entire AQ-travesty seems to be about aping the NC$$ hoops model... Problem is, college hockey isn't a cash-cow at any level, and it's seriously moronic to apply that model here. There is absolutely no justification for that, no matter how you care to slice it.
                    Actually you have it backwards, since the automatic qualifiers in the basketball tournament are not the ones bringing in the money, it is the at-large teams from the power conferences that bring in the money. In fact, with 32 automatic qualifiers in the men's basketball tournament they could eliminate 36 teams from the tournament, but again, there would go the money.

Simply put, more AQs = more teams in D-I. More teams mean more scholarships and more opportunities for young men to get an education and maybe make the NHL. While it is true that the top talent still goes to the higher-profile leagues, there is an increasing amount of AHL-and-higher talent coming out of these schools.
                    This is currently happening in men's DI lacrosse. Just eight years ago there were only six conferences with autobids (the ACC was to small) and 60 teams. This year there are ten conferences (including the ACC) with autobids and 71 teams, with 2 more programs starting up next year.

The NCAA Men's Hockey Tournament already has more teams in it than they would be allowed by usual NCAA minimum guidelines of approximately 1 tournament team for every 7 teams in the sport. By that, hockey should only get 8 or 9 (8.6, exactly) teams in the tournament. So increasing the tournament size even more beyond 16 is probably unlikely.
                    It is much closer to 1 in 5 in men's basketball (68 out of 351, or 19.37%), so that would be back to 12 teams for hockey. However, the NCAA uses different numbers for different sports, so that is not a fixed ratio. For example, in men's lacrosse the NCAA had a 16 team tournament for 60 teams in 2010, slightly more than 1 out of 4 teams. With expansion to 71 teams they originally added 2 teams to go to 18, but dropped one and now have 17 teams, slightly less than 1 out of 4. In field hockey it is an 18 team field for 78 teams overall, just over 23%, or slightly less than 1 out of 4 teams and women's ice hockey has 8 out of 36 teams, 22%. So well men's hockey has one of the highest ratios, if not the highest, it is not as far out of wack as you make it seem.

But no matter what you think of the automatic qualifiers, the NCAA has clearly set out rules on how the are assigned to conferences and that is not likely to change.

Sean
                    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                    BU Hockey highlights and extras
                    NCAA Hockey Financials
                    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                      It is much closer to 1 in 5 in men's basketball (68 out of 351, or 19.37%), so that would be back to 12 teams for hockey. However, the NCAA uses different numbers for different sports, so that is not a fixed ratio. For example, in men's lacrosse the NCAA had a 16 team tournament for 60 teams in 2010, slightly more than 1 out of 4 teams. With expansion to 71 teams they originally added 2 teams to go to 18, but dropped one and now have 17 teams, slightly less than 1 out of 4. In field hockey it is an 18 team field for 78 teams overall, just over 23%, or slightly less than 1 out of 4 teams and women's ice hockey has 8 out of 36 teams, 22%. So well men's hockey has one of the highest ratios, if not the highest, it is not as far out of wack as you make it seem.

But no matter what you think of the automatic qualifiers, the NCAA has clearly set out rules on how the are assigned to conferences and that is not likely to change.

Sean
                      64 out of 297 baseball teams make the CWS, that's 21.5%, even more than men's hoops

Comment

Back in 1994 Colorado College rose from last place the the previous season to win the WCHA regular season, but after being upset in the WCHA quarterfinals 2 games to 1, they were not selected for the NCAA tournament. There was much complaining about how autobids were awarded and how the regular season champion deserved an autobid. Supposedly the committee then added a "CC Rule" that the RS champion of each league would always be selected until the NCAA learned of the rule and let it be known that each league was to get only one autobid, determined by each league. I have no idea if such a rule was ever invoked, but no regular season champion missed the tournament until the formation of the MAAC in 1998-99, when no MAAC team made the NCAA tournament. The following season the CHA was formed and Niagara won the regular season and tournament titles and made the NCAA field as an at-large team. Then in 2001 Clarkson won the ECAC regular season, was upset in the quarterfinals 2 games to 1 and missed the NCAA tournament.

As for byes, the NCAA tournament had them from 1988 through 2002. In 1988 no teams won both league titles, in 1989 only one did, in 1990 all four did and in 1991 three teams did. Of the 8 teams only one, Clarkson in 1991, failed to get a bye. Again there was much complaining about how a regular season and tournament champion deserved a bye, with many calling for a "Clarkson Rule" to insure that would happen. To my knowledge no such rule was ever invoked by the committee, but no other double champion from Hockey East, ECAC, CCHA or WCHA missed the bye until Michigan in 2002. Niagara (CHA, 2000) and Mercyhurst (MAAC, 2001) also won both leagues titles, but did not receive byes.

Actually you have it backwards, since the automatic qualifiers in the basketball tournament are not the ones bringing in the money, it is the at-large teams from the power conferences that bring in the money. In fact, with 32 automatic qualifiers in the men's basketball tournament they could eliminate 36 teams from the tournament, but again, there would go the money.

This is currently happening in men's DI lacrosse. Just eight years ago there were only six conferences with autobids (the ACC was to small) and 60 teams. This year there are ten conferences (including the ACC) with autobids and 71 teams, with 2 more programs starting up next year.

Sean
                        That's good stuff

Comment

Sean
                          Actually, the NCAA grants auto-bids to the conferences. The individual conferences themselves determine how they are awarded. They all choose to give them to their post-season tournament champions. I remember not so long ago (relatively speaking) when many conferences, most notably the PAC-10 and Big-10, did not have post-season basketball tournaments. They chose to award their auto-bids to the regular season champs.
                          Can't we all just get along?
                          Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Actually, the NCAA grants auto-bids to the conferences. The individual conferences themselves determine how they are awarded. They all choose to give them to their post-season tournament champions. I remember not so long ago (relatively speaking) when many conferences, most notably the PAC-10 and Big-10, did not have post-season basketball tournaments. They chose to award their auto-bids to the regular season champs.
                            Thanks, but I already knew that. What I was trying to state (not very well, apparently) was that the NCAA has clearly set out rules for granting an automatic bid to a conference and once initially eligible a conference will continue to get an autobid as long as they continue to met those rules.

I hope that is clearer.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                            NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

If your conference regular season champ doesn't earn an at-large bid, then your conference sucks (and yes, this could often apply to the ECAC). The only ways that happens are 1) the RS champ loses a ton of OOC games to screw their own record, 2) the other teams in the conference lost so many OOC games that your RS champ's gaudy record against them doesn't mean diddly, or 3) a combination of the two.

Keep math simple - get your PWR up, win your tourney, or go home.
                              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                                If your conference regular season champ doesn't earn an at-large bid, then your conference sucks (and yes, this could often apply to the ECAC). The only ways that happens are 1) the RS champ loses a ton of OOC games to screw their own record, 2) the other teams in the conference lost so many OOC games that your RS champ's gaudy record against them doesn't mean diddly, or 3) a combination of the two.

Keep math simple - get your PWR up, win your tourney, or go home.
                                Since the NCAA Tournament expanded to 8 teams 34 regular season champions have not made the tournament. Three in the 8 team field, 2 coming from the ECAC as it split into three division each with its own regular season champion, eight in the 12 team field, and twenty-three in the 16 team field.
                                Eight Teams
                                1981 – ECAC East – Boston College
                                1983 – CCHA – Bowling Green
                                1984 – ECAC Ivy – Harvard
                                Twelve Teams
                                1992 – ECAC – Harvard
                                1994 – WCHA – Colorado College
                                1999 – MAAC – Quinnipiac
                                2000 – MAAC – Quinnipiac
                                2001 – ECAC – Clarkson
                                2001 – CHA – Alabama Huntsville
                                2002 – MAAC – Mercyhurst
                                2002 – CHA – Wayne State*
                                Sixteen Teams
                                2003 – CHA – Alabama Huntsville
                                2004 – ECAC – Colgate
                                2004 – CHA – Bemidji State
                                2005 – AH – Quinnipiac
                                2006 – ECAC – Dartmouth (tie)
                                2006 – ECAC – Colgate (tie)
                                2006 – CHA – Niagara
                                2007 – AH – RIT
                                2007 – CHA – Niagara
                                2008 – AH – Army
                                2008 – CHA – Bemidji State
                                2009 – AH – RIT (tie)
                                2011 – AH – RIT
                                2014 – AH – Mercyhurst
                                2015 – AH – Robert Morris
                                2016 – B1G – Minnesota
                                2016 – WCHA – Michigan Tech
                                2016 – AH – Robert Morris
                                2017 – HEA – Boston College (tie)
                                2017 – WCHA – Bemidji State
                                2017 – AH – Canisius
                                2018 – HEA – Boston College
                                2018 – AH - Mercyhurst

* also won league tournament, but league had no autobid

By conference the MAAC/Atlantic Hockey has 13; the CHA had 7; the ECAC has 7; the WCHA has 3; Hockey East has 2; the B1G has 1; and the CCHA had 1.

Sean
                                Last edited by Sean Pickett; 03-24-2018, 09:59 AM. Reason: corrected 1984 ECAC team not in NCAAs

BU Hockey Games
                                NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Working...
                                X