Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Foreign Policy 2.0: Have you read Kipling, Mr. Tillerson?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: US Foreign Policy 2.0: Have you read Kipling, Mr. Tillerson?

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    You're right, we should look to that.
    I agree; however, if we have someone in a SuperMax and they somehow still order a "hit" it should be over because we are clearly not "rendering one who has committed an offense incapable of doing harm" in that hopefully only-hypothetical case.

Then again, I don't see how anyone in prison should live any better than the folks lowest on the socio-economic system who are law abiding. If they don't have cable or internet and eat Ramon three nights a week ... well, folks in prison should have (or not) the same. I'm not saying "Turkish", but I am saying limit the creature comforts. Prison should be someplace you really don't want to be.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

The death penalty is verboten unless you're a Cafeteria Catholic.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Yes, let's create more unrest in the Middle East. Good plan, Dump.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          The death penalty is verboten unless you're a Cafeteria Catholic.
          No, no, no, Kep. Read 2267.

Very rare.
          Practically non-existent.
          But not specifically verboten.
          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
            I agree; however, if we have someone in a SuperMax and they somehow still order a "hit" it should be over because we are clearly not "rendering one who has committed an offense incapable of doing harm" in that hopefully only-hypothetical case.

Then again, I don't see how anyone in prison should live any better than the folks lowest on the socio-economic system who are law abiding. If they don't have cable or internet and eat Ramon three nights a week ... well, folks in prison should have (or not) the same. I'm not saying "Turkish", but I am saying limit the creature comforts. Prison should be someplace you really don't want to be.
            Sure thing, Sheriff Joe.

Why am I not surprised that, rather than tackle poverty, you'd rather make prison the equivalent of the gulag to save yourself a nickel on your taxes.

You do realize the prohibition on cruel and unusual punishment is there because people who think the same as you used to do that sort of thing, right?

Comment

I'd say you could convict and whack Hitler, probably a fanatic like OBL or possibly even Charlie Manson. McVeigh, not so much.
              Originally posted by WiscTJK
              I'm with Wisko and Tim.
              Originally posted by Timothy A
              Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

I didn't say "cruel and unusual".
                I said prisoners shouldn't live better than the taxpayers footing the bill.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  Yes, let's create more unrest in the Middle East. Good plan, Dump.
                  Did you know Hitler was sent by God to kill the Jews? The priest who just blessed our embassy said so.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                    Did you know Hitler was sent by God to kill the Jews? The priest who just blessed our embassy said so.
                    Beg pardon?

Was this all part of the plan so You Know Who could come back soon?
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                      Is there any other conclusion to draw?
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I didn't say "cruel and unusual".
                        I said prisoners shouldn't live better than the taxpayers footing the bill.
                        Where do you draw that line? Homeless people pay sales taxes. So prisoners shouldn't get any shelter by your logic. Numerous people struggle to fill their stomachs with food, or get medicine they need. Guess prisoners shouldn't get meals or meds, either.

The state is already depriving them of their freedom. Maybe you should worry more about raising the standards of taxpayers and less about lowering the already low standards of the penal system.
                        Last edited by unofan; 05-14-2018, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                          The state is already depriving them of their freedom.
                          Justly. That's key.

And I'm not saying we shouldn't better society overall. Don't confound the two.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Justly. That's key.

And I'm not saying we shouldn't better society overall. Don't confound the two.
                            Then again, I don't see how anyone in prison should live any better than the folks lowest on the socio-economic system who are law abiding. If they don't have cable or internet and eat Ramon three nights a week ... well, folks in prison should have (or not) the same.
                            What you're proposing amounts to cruel and unusual punishment, because you'd have prisoners with no shelter, no medicine, and no food. Because there are law-abiding citizens going without any or all of those.

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                              I'm stealing this.
                              Onion headline today:
                              “Trump fascinated by Israeli cultural tradition of mass slaughter of protestors”

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                                Onion headline today:
                                “Trump fascinated by Israeli cultural tradition of mass slaughter of protestors”
                                I thought The Onion was supposed to be satire?

Comment

Working...
                                X