Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fan Regional Rankings

Re: Fan Regional Rankings

Quote Originally Posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
    It's being discussed at our local level too. If they spent more time teaching how to hit (and more importantly take a hit) instead of which "flex of a stick to use we wouldn't have these issues. I watch local HS teams and the lack of physical contact is just pathetic. You see more in a women's game. Hockey is a physical sport, if you don't like it figure skating practices on Fridays....
    off topic maybe this has to do with the constant be diving/embellishment we game in and out, or the hits from behind?? Let the kids play....As for less action on the boards, maybe due to to much tech stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    For the past few years this board has been dominated by posts from
    Oswego
    Norwich
    Plattsburgh
    Utica/Elmira

This is a very tribal board with interest in your own school, your principal opponents and very little else.

Guys like Ray Biggs and Russell Jaslow (Webb where are you!) who constantly blow the trumpet for all of D3 hockey are rare. We need more like them.
    I think this is largely it. The Norwich board goes hot and cold. We actually have a good number of active posters, but most rarely, if ever, post outside the Norwich thread. I don't even know if they look at the other threads.

As for me, I try to keep up to date woth some other teams. Admittedly I focus almost entirely on the East. I watch a lot of NESCAC and SUNYAC games in addition to the NEHC, and I find the rise of the CCC really interesting.

But like folks say, things get in the way. I'm working a New job out in West Texas now where I usually don't get out of work til 6:00 Mountain Time. So by the time I get home the games are pretty much over. Then Saturdays are spent with the wife and my 1-year-old. So point being, when you're away from the teams and schools like many posters are it's harder to build a schedule around games.

Also, I imagine we have a lot of lurkers but not posters. I do the same on football boards in the fall. I was the lone poster for the NEWMAC thread for the first few weeks of the season, but after weeks of talking to myself I said to hell with it. Perhaps there's a fan of the MASCAC or something who reads the board but doesn't see anyone to talk to.

There's also a strange parochial nature about message boards. I'm speaking in general, but it's perhaps more pronounced in this board. I mean that some posters have been around a long time and there's this sort of acknowledgement of seniority. I noticed there was no scores thread, but I didn't think it was my initiative to start one.
    Last edited by NU Pastime; 01-15-2018 at 06:08 PM.

Black Bear since D-2

East:

!. Endicott
    2.UNE
    3.Salve
    4.UMB
    5.Utica
    6.Plymouth
    7.Williams
    8.Oswego

West:

1.SNU
    2.Adrian
    3.W-SP
    4.Marian

That was easy!

Oswego State Great Laker

If video killed the radio star, then streaming live games killed the message board. Twitter too. I got on this board back when all i could do was listen to play by play on WNYO radio. The newer Oswego posters have a greater understanding of todays rosters, lines, etc as stats are readily accessible and everyone can see the game thanks to the streaming. At the same time, in this PC world, there is much less mud slinging..That type banter could be fun...and not.

Black Bear since D-2

Quote Originally Posted by NU Pastime View Post
    I think this is largely it. The Norwich board goes hot and cold. We actually have a good number of active posters, but most rarely, if ever, post outside the Norwich thread. I don't even know if they look at the other threads.

As for me, I try to keep up to date woth some other teams. Admittedly I focus almost entirely on the East. I watch a lot of NESCAC and SUNYAC games in addition to the NEHC, and I find the rise of the CCC really interesting.

But like folks say, things get in the way. I'm working a New job out in West Texas now where I usually don't get out of work til 6:00 Mountain Time. So by the time I get home the games are pretty much over. Then Saturdays are spent with the wife and my 1-year-old. So point being, when you're away from the teams and schools like many posters are it's harder to build a schedule around games.

Also, I imagine we have a lot of lurkers but not posters. I do the same on football boards in the fall. I was the lone poster for the NEWMAC thread for the first few weeks of the season, but after weeks of talking to myself I said to hell with it. Perhaps there's a fan of the MASCAC or something who reads the board but doesn't see anyone to talk to.

There's also a strange parochial nature about message boards. I'm speaking in general, but it's perhaps more pronounced in this board. I mean that some posters have been around a long time and there's this sort of acknowledgement of seniority. I noticed there was no scores thread, but I didn't think it was my initiative to start one.
    Thoughtful post, and I think you made a couple of good points.

Score threads are possibly an anachronism at this point, though, since one can stream most games or listen to them live, or at least get live stats. That, I understand.

The general lessening of interest in posting on here is perhaps a natural progression of having an ever-increasing tsunami of other social media, but that certainly does diminish the USCHO experience for me. And, tangentially, as the demographic on here grows older, fewer of us have the inclination to visit threads other than our own, much less to pick a fight... ("SAD!!!", as our fearless leader would tweet, but not all bad in the net... Hell, I even considered sending Remy a Christmas card last month. )

Off point, but how do you like West Texas? I spent 5 years in Burkburnett, north and east of there, but the Mesquite-Grassland terrain is there is the same as most of West Texas, which I visited. Certainly a departure from Vermont, in every American way possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Thoughtful post, and I think you made a couple of good points.

Score threads are possibly an anachronism at this point, though, since one can stream most games or listen to them live, or at least get live stats. That, I understand.

The general lessening of interest in posting on here is perhaps a natural progression of having an ever-increasing tsunami of other social media, but that certainly does diminish the USCHO experience for me. And, tangentially, as the demographic on here grows older, fewer of us have the inclination to visit threads other than our own, much less to pick a fight... ("SAD!!!", as our fearless leader would tweet, but not all bad in the net... Hell, I even considered sending Remy a Christmas card last month. )

Off point, but how do you like West Texas? I spent 5 years in Burkburnett, north and east of there, but the Mesquite-Grassland terrain is there is the same as most of West Texas, which I visited. Certainly a departure from Vermont, in every American way possible.
    Yeah, West Texas has been an adjustment. I've only been here since October, so still adjusting, but now starting to get used to it. I'm in El Paso, which is pretty much Mexico, so it's definitely as far from Vermont as one could possibly imagine.

Overall, I'm glad I get the chance to spend a couple years here and experience the Southwest, but it's not somewhere we could settle permanently. The wife and I are having that debate now (back to Massachusetts, where she's from? Or St. Louis, where I'm from?). It also doesn't help here that I don't enjoy my job nearly as much as I did in Virginia.

But, back on topic, I think scores threads still have a purpose but they need to be more than scores threads. I can look online and see that Plattsburgh leads Potsdam 3-2 in the second or whatever. The benefit of the message board nowadays is to get the story of the game.

Sportscenter, another struggling relic of the past, has the motto now "You know the score. Now get the story." That's the benefit of scores threads to me. For example, I saw 5 minutes of the Norwich-UNE game and concluded from those 5 minutes (which included the lone UNE, game -winning goal) that NU played sloppy and undisciplined. The other posters in the Norwich thread corrected me and said that the Cadets actually dominated the play, they just couldn't score a goal.

That's what the scores thread needs to be to stay relevant. I'm interested in knowing that Trinity beat Hamilton, but I can see the score online. What other posters who watch the game can tell me is how the game played out, what the strengths and weaknesses were for each team, and what that could mean going forward.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk
    Norwich '13

Quote Originally Posted by OZFEST View Post
    If video killed the radio star, then streaming live games killed the message board.
    You failed to mention the number of critical, disparaging and downright hostile posters that chased a large contingent of other posters away.

Black Bear since D-2

Quote Originally Posted by elbojpb View Post
    You failed to mention the number of critical, disparaging and downright hostile posters that chased a large contingent of other posters away.
    IDK, elbo, I'm wondering if the apparent *increase* in civility on here isn't more the issue... People love a good flame-fest, and it's oh-so-easy to find that elsewhere these days.

Elmira College Fan
    IDK, elbo, I'm wondering if the apparent *increase* in civility on here isn't more the issue... People love a good flame-fest, and it's oh-so-easy to find that elsewhere these days.
    Especially when Utica is involved 😉

Quote Originally Posted by smbenny View Post
    Especially when Utica is involved ��
    I used to have a couple buddies in Utica...Schultz & Dooley

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Black Bear since D-2

Quote Originally Posted by smbenny View Post
    Especially when Utica is involved 😉
    I never once picked a fight, JSYK. I just stayed on the UC thread in order to read my fellow fans' take on a given season, without straying to say that "my Dad can beat-up your Dad" type of crap elsewhere.

Other people, not so much.

Member of the REAL Zoo Crew
    I never once picked a fight, JSYK. I just stayed on the UC thread in order to read my fellow fans' take on a given season, without straying to say that "my Dad can beat-up your Dad" type of crap elsewhere.

Other people, not so much.
    Fake news....

+1

Colorado Cadets Fan

I know that has contributed to my tendency not to frequent threads discussing other teams, because while I like learning about teams other than Norwich, it seems like every time I ask a question in certain threads, the response is not worth it.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Black Bear since D-2

Quote Originally Posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
    Fake news....
    If you can dig-up any negative imposition of mine on a Platty thread, go for it.

I wholeheartedly agree that differing opinions do create interest (variety, after all, is the spice of life) but an axiom by which I've lived is being able to disagree without being disagreeable. Perhaps we can blame the recent scourge of public ridicule, negativity and criticism on our leaders!?

Black Bear since D-2

I wholeheartedly agree that differing opinions do create interest (variety, after all, is the spice of life) but an axiom by which I've lived is being able to disagree without being disagreeable. Perhaps we can blame the recent scourge of public ridicule, negativity and criticism on our leaders!?
    I would tend to agree, but I lean left.

Thread Information