Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fitness (Diet/Exercise) 2018: One Step At A Time

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    What the heck is a protein supplement? Isn’t that just chicken breasts, Greek yogurt, or other high protein low fat foods?
    Pea flour

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
      Pea flour

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
      Ended up with whey, but I do want pea protein eventually.

And I don't know. I spent 5 months doing nothing but physical job, yoga, and Pilates, and now that I'm running and high intensity training again, kinda hard to figure out what I need.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Decided that if I can train up to about 8-9 miles by June, I will race one half-marathon this year. And if I get doctor's permission in 2019, then I'll do another marathon.
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          What the heck is a protein supplement? Isn’t that just chicken breasts, Greek yogurt, or other high protein low fat foods?
          Before I go to Muscle Milk, I'm trying eggs at breakfast, yogurt or cottage cheese at break, and either turkey or chicken at dinner. If not that, more eggs.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            So losing weight at the start of any diet is generally the fastest you're going to lose weight, but still...

I dropped 8.5lbs between 12/31 and 1/6. That surprised me, to say the least.
            As a college kid, diet was pretty irrelevant and the weight stayed off regardless. Back when I posted on this forum with regularity, I was a skinny kid with acne who could drop 6 mountain dews per day and stay at around 150. Now at the ripe age of 37, this is hardly the case stuck in the 190 to 200 lb range. To the point, it seems diet is 90% of weight. Case an point - I had my appendix out at the end of november this year. After the procedure, I had no appetite for a week or so. Despite 0 activity for 2-3 weeks, I probably trimmed 10+ lbs in that time mostly because I wasn't eating anything. Rewind to the summer when I was biking to work, running 10+ miles per week, playing hockey and working out - the weight stayed more or less the same.

If I had to guess, I'd say sugar is a large culprit. So much food at the store has sugar in the form of high fructose corn syrup. I've also switched away from meat mostly (not a vegetarian by choice, more or less by accident), and this has helped immensely with my joints. This is purely anecdotal though and hardly evidence of anything.
            "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

-Herodotus

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
              Dr. wants me on a protein supplement. Went to Target and felt I picked the least terrible option.

So apparently, the in thing now is to give up all sugar, including fruit. Inevitably, we're always looking for something to demonize. It was fat, now it's carbs and sugar. I gave up sugar twice and each time, I reverted to stuffing all of it in my face hole.
              I have heard that sugar is addictive, and based on my own experience believe efficacy of that statement. A book i started reading called "Fit for life" recommends Fruit only before lunch - something I started doing with some success. Fruit does contain sugar, but in its natural form its harder to break down rather than consuming it through juice form.

Im not dietician, nor have I studied research on the subject - but fruit sugar doesn't seem like something that would be particularly harmful if consumed in normal amounts. Abstinence isn't the answer in my opinion, but neither is drinking half a container of orange juice from the store. Aside from my surgury this past year, my diet of mostly fruit, grains, vegetables have kept me from getting sick for very long stretches, and staying overall in good athletic shape. But what works for me might not work for everyone so I don't want to push my habits on other presupposing the exact same results.

good luck.
              "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

-Herodotus

Comment

Originally posted by unh_hockey View Post
                I have heard that sugar is addictive, and based on my own experience believe efficacy of that statement. A book i started reading called "Fit for life" recommends Fruit only before lunch - something I started doing with some success. Fruit does contain sugar, but in its natural form its harder to break down rather than consuming it through juice form.

Im not dietician, nor have I studied research on the subject - but fruit sugar doesn't seem like something that would be particularly harmful if consumed in normal amounts. Abstinence isn't the answer in my opinion, but neither is drinking half a container of orange juice from the store. Aside from my surgury this past year, my diet of mostly fruit, grains, vegetables have kept me from getting sick for very long stretches, and staying overall in good athletic shape. But what works for me might not work for everyone so I don't want to push my habits on other presupposing the exact same results.

good luck.
                I've learned moderation and balance in all things is like learning to drive. Eventually, it all becomes habit and you know what to do. Ran the Groundhog 1/6 marathon on Friday and they offered cookies as post race refreshments. I had two, and moved on.

As for all things... it's killing me not to sign up for a marathon this year. I know it's the right thing, but still..

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                  I've learned moderation and balance in all things is like learning to drive. Eventually, it all becomes habit and you know what to do. Ran the Groundhog 1/6 marathon on Friday and they offered cookies as post race refreshments. I had two, and moved on.

As for all things... it's killing me not to sign up for a marathon this year. I know it's the right thing, but still..
                  No doubt... moderation can be key.

And don’t forget.. you can stay very fit running 5ks and 10ks

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                    No doubt... moderation can be key.

And don’t forget.. you can stay very fit running 5ks and 10ks
                    And there's better decision making all the way up to a 25K.

After a 25K: Eh, I'll just have a turkey sandwich, chips, and a couple beers.

After a marathon: Hi, I'll have the cheese sticks, a ribeye, dessert, and beer. I know, I've done that.

Comment

Maybe one of you smart people can help me find a solution. I have an inflamed bursa sac on my shin (about 4 inches down from the top of my knee). Currently I have a little piece of foam shaped like a donut, and some pre-wrap, so I wrap it whenever I'm doing something that could require putting pressure on my shin at the gym. But I go through a lot of wrap. So I'd like something reusable and washable, that won't slide around, that I can stick my little piece of foam in (like a sleeve - not a wrap), but I'd prefer it not cover my entire shin (which is what most shin sleeves do). For hockey, I wear a volleyball kneepad pulled down over my shin, and that works OK because of all the padding in my shin pads. But when I don't have all that extra padding, I need to use the little donut (mmm, little donuts) so the bursa sac itself doesn't have pressure on it. I tried a knee sleeve thing, but it's too loose at the top (because it's made for knees - not shins). For lack of a better option, I might buy a shin sleeve and cut it up, but that seems pretty wasteful. Any ideas?

Comment

A Barbie Doll bra should do it.

Seriously though, there are some sticky bandage wraps on the market now, either made by Ace or its non-union Mexican equivalent. Yeah, you don't want a wrap style, but I'm not sure you'd have many more options that wouldn't displace your foam when putting it in place.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

6 years ago today, I threw away my bathroom scale. Mentally, one of the best decisions I ever made.

Comment

Started a new strength class at the gym. Still sore today. It was Thursday.

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                            A Barbie Doll bra should do it.

Seriously though, there are some sticky bandage wraps on the market now, either made by Ace or its non-union Mexican equivalent. Yeah, you don't want a wrap style, but I'm not sure you'd have many more options that wouldn't displace your foam when putting it in place.
                            I just thought of this now, since you mentioned it would be hard to stay in place without wrapping - I have a small knee sleeve that might work, and I can have my seamstress sew a little pocket in it for the donut. I think that should work.

Comment

So I can run 10+ miles. Good. However, yoga and Pilates after is now a priority. In fact, I'm thinking yoga and Pilates every day should be a priority.

Comment

Finally posting in this thread for the year.

Update: I am officially down 30lbs. The meds I am on curb my drinking significantly. Trying to get to the gym more, but I have been able to do some mock gym weight lifting at work. 50lb boxes repeatedly and twisting.
                                Originally posted by Skeeterman
                                Lady Wore Black is a hottie.
                                "I love hockey, it is such a great sport. I love how the outfielders use their baseball bats to hit the ball across the ice field, pass the punter for nothing but net shot from downtown." - Unknown

"No matter what happens in college hockey tournament, the Yankees will not win the World Series this year." - Mr. wore Black

Comment

Working...
                                X