Fitness (Diet/Exercise) 2018: One Step At A Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lady wore Black View Post
    Finally posting in this thread for the year.

Update: I am officially down 30lbs. The meds I am on curb my drinking significantly. Trying to get to the gym more, but I have been able to do some mock gym weight lifting at work. 50lb boxes repeatedly and twisting.
    Physical labor counts as a workout!
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Re: Fitness (Diet/Exercise) 2018: One Step At A Time

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      Ace or its non-union Mexican equivalent..
      Nice line. But I can’t endorse it.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Ran a 5K this morning. 30:17, 9:46/mile pace. Getting back to where I once belonged.
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Thought: I need to cut back on coffee. A 12 cup pot gives me four 14 oz mugs per day. As a member of the "clean plate club," I see an obligation to kill the pot every morning.

When I was losing weight, I reduced the size of my plate. And in the same vein, I'm wondering if reducing the size of my coffee pot will help. I was leaning toward either a Chemex or a French press...

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
            Thought: I need to cut back on coffee. A 12 cup pot gives me four 14 oz mugs per day. As a member of the "clean plate club," I see an obligation to kill the pot every morning.

When I was losing weight, I reduced the size of my plate. And in the same vein, I'm wondering if reducing the size of my coffee pot will help. I was leaning toward either a Chemex or a French press...
            I really like my French press. Plus you can buy different sizes so you can work your way down! Make sure to get a grinder or buy coarsely ground coffee.

As an added bonus you can try to be a pseudo coffee snob with one.
            In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
            I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post

I’m kinda in the same boat though for me it’s probably more like 2 mugs and part of a third (I assume it’s 14 ounce, typical travel mug size). I’ll try and keep track and ween my way down slowly I think. Today I had barely any and feel useless though luckily we had nothing to do at work today.

Comment

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
                I really like my French press. Plus you can buy different sizes so you can work your way down! Make sure to get a grinder or buy coarsely ground coffee.

As an added bonus you can try to be a pseudo coffee snob with one.
                Yeah! My coffee comes with a counter-clockwise swirl of pretentiousness!

Comment

Good. I can run long-ish (15.5 miles and lower) distances again. I can do HIIT workouts. I don't even feel drained. But I know a few things that temper my enthusiasm:

1. The days of racking up more than 1200 miles in a year are done.
                  2. River Bank 25K will say a lot about my long distance future.
                  3. Marathons may have to wait for awhile.
                  4. I can't do HIIT workouts on back to back days.
                  5. Emphasizing core, hips, glutes will prevent another sciatica trip.

Comment

I'd like to start getting into running.

I've always been fairly active, but unless it involves a ball or racket I've never been into running for the sake of running. Started last week running about a mile on the treadmill every other day. Now that it warmed up I found a nice little route that's just over two miles.

I'll be running at least a 5k this summer and if the schedule works out I'd like to try the Big 10K.

What do you guys try to follow for training?
                    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                      I'd like to start getting into running.

I've always been fairly active, but unless it involves a ball or racket I've never been into running for the sake of running. Started last week running about a mile on the treadmill every other day. Now that it warmed up I found a nice little route that's just over two miles.

I'll be running at least a 5k this summer and if the schedule works out I'd like to try the Big 10K.

What do you guys try to follow for training?
                      Best "beginner" 5K training plan is the Couch to 5K program, also available as an app.

Beyond that, I use Hal Higdon.

Piece of advice, though. These races will be held outside, so get used to running outside. In terms of weather, races are only usually called off in a thunderstorm or severe weather event. First time I did the River Bank 25K was in a colossal downpour.

Comment

I fully plan on running outdoors as much as possible. Mostly because I'm not sure if the treadmill is all that accurate at measuring distance, plus it's all flat. Also because I doubt there are any domed races out there, so it'd probably be good to train in the conditions I would be running in.
                        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                          I fully plan on running outdoors as much as possible. Mostly because I'm not sure if the treadmill is all that accurate at measuring distance, plus it's all flat. Also because I doubt there are any domed races out there, so it'd probably be good to train in the conditions I would be running in.
                          Good.

Comment

Speaking of conditions: 4.4 today in cold, gray, wet, and windy. The "out" portion wasn't so bad, but the "back" was a grind. Then again, the first time I ran the River Bank 25K, it was in a torrential downpour.

Comment

One year ago today, I completed the Kal-Haven trail run, a 33.5 mile trip from Kalamazoo to South Haven.

This year, ultras and marathons aren't even in the picture. This year, I'm imagining half-marathons and 25K as if I'm doing them for the first time.

Comment

To prevent more tales of woe, I've been asking questions. "Can you do this? Should you do this? Are you adequately prepared for this?" And in terms of the marathon, my favorite distance, it's not gonna happen right now. I have so many unknowns with hormones and a busy schedule that I won't be able to carve out large chunks of time to get 15-20 miles in.

I'm also saying "Protect Your House." If something hurts and I can't explain it, or if I had a long day and feel too tired to run or do something intense, I'll switch down to yoga and Pilates.

Good judgment comes with experience... and experience comes with poor judgment.

Comment

Working...
                                X