X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fitness (Diet/Exercise) 2018: One Step At A Time

Originally posted by melmac View Post
    Good for you!

I’ve never much cared for running, but there’s been something lately where I’ve been thinking it might be a good idea. I know part of it is I’ve been eating better and lifting regularly. Not sure if I’m ready for that next step, but it’s something I’m keeping in mind.
    Thanks!

Actually, the group I run with is called 'Moms on the Run'. You do not have to be a mom (like me) to join, but for you it would be perfect. There is a branch in Kalamazoo. I am unsure how close that is to you, but it is fun. Each week we meet up and run as a group. There are always kids and they really add to the motivation.
    Originally posted by Skeeterman
    Lady Wore Black is a hottie.
    "I love hockey, it is such a great sport. I love how the outfielders use their baseball bats to hit the ball across the ice field, pass the punter for nothing but net shot from downtown." - Unknown

"No matter what happens in college hockey tournament, the Yankees will not win the World Series this year." - Mr. wore Black

Comment

Originally posted by melmac View Post
      Good for you!

I’ve never much cared for running, but there’s been something lately where I’ve been thinking it might be a good idea. I know part of it is I’ve been eating better and lifting regularly. Not sure if I’m ready for that next step, but it’s something I’m keeping in mind.
      And mel, I recommend a couch to 5K app, if you can't find a group. It got me moving.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Want to see everyone hate someone with one post?

I made pork butt last Saturday and have been eating it since then. Usually over Texas toast, maybe a little bbq sauce, and sometimes with beer. I lost ten lbs in that period. Not really any change in exercise or steps.

I don’t get it either
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
          New year, new goals. Here are mine:

1. Get to about 200-205 and park it.

2. Stick to 5Ks, 10Ks, and sprint duathlon. No marathons quite yet.

3. Cross training! I have HIIT, yoga, Pilates, and my bike to choose from.

4. Limit booze and added sugar to 1 day a week, if that.

5. Limit dining out. Use the Crock-Pot and make meals like soup and beans and quinoa.

6. Cut to 2 cups of coffee a day.

What are yours?
          July check:

1. At about 221-222. With hormones and water, might not get to 205.

2. Oops. Already have done a half-marathon, the River Bank 25K, and a couple Olympic Duathlons.

3. Bingo. Still doing it.

4. Because of the water weight, working harder on this one.

5. Doing better at this.

6. HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHH!
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
            I want to get under 190. I'm about 200 right now.

Eat out less.

Exercise more consistently.

Get consistent, sensible sleep on a nightly basis. Going to bed at midnight and falling asleep at 12:30, when the alarm goes off at 6:45, doesn't get it done.

If I do that, I can get the blood sugar, cholesterol and BP to reasonable levels.
            At 188 right now. Was 202 at the end of tax season. Trying to get under 185.

Eating out less, for dinner anyway. Lunch is still a bit of an obstacle.

10,000+ steps every single day since mid-May (when I started tracking again) with the exception of July 4, where I topped 9,000. I was over 13,000 on both the 3rd and the 5th. I think I can check this box.

Getting better on the sleep. Still work to do...

BP bounces around a bit, but for the most part, in decent shape. Not ideal yet, but we're working on it. We'll find out about the blood sugar and cholesterol in a month or so when I go back to the doctor for the annual checkup.
            FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

221.5 yesterday. With a BP of 99/57.

This year, I just wanted to see what I can do. I've cut 3 minutes off my 5K time from last year, went from a DNF to finishing a half, and cut 19 minutes from my time at the River Bank 25K. Even cut 23 minutes from my bike time at the Grand Haven Olympic Duathlon.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                Want to see everyone hate someone with one post?

I made pork butt last Saturday and have been eating it since then. Usually over Texas toast, maybe a little bbq sauce, and sometimes with beer. I lost ten lbs in that period. Not really any change in exercise or steps.

I don’t get it either
                Bodies are weird.

Comment

Registered for the Groundhog Marathon in 2019.

Can I turn back the clock?

Comment

184.6 this morning. Bingo.

And then the BP jumps up this morning. Because, of course it does.
                    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Going back to endurance. But I can't go hog wild like I did in the past. Here's what I'm thinking as I finish out this year and approach next year, including a return to 26.2:

1. Not every weekend needs to be filled with a race. Take the day. Train. Rest if I need to.

2. "Protect Your House." Do my hips/lower back hurt? How about my ankle? Is this a minor ache or pain, or could this be about sciatica? Knowing I've had sciatica THREE times, I definitely don't want it again.

3."Debate Exposes Doubt." Do my favorite races fit into the overall training plan? For example, will doing Grand Haven AND Tri Del Sol next year affect me while training for the MiTi half duathlon and the Air Force marathon?

4. Find good cross training and stay with it. Probably can't do TurboFire (intense cardio) while doing a lot of running/cycling, but yoga and Pilates helped a lot in 2014-16. Maybe ChaLEAN Extreme (similar to P90X)?

5. Find some time and run with my friends. I'm sure someone can take a Sunday afternoon and share some miles with me.

6. Finally, am I having fun? Am I celebrating being alive, or am I too caught up in pace per mile? Will I come home and throw a fit if Strava or my TomTom gives me some ugly data? If so, I need to re-evaluate.

Comment

I could post this in the grind my gears thread, but there is a group of ladies at the gym that chit chat their way through entire classes. When the instructor is giving directions or tips, they are yapping away incessantly. While they're working out (and the rest of us are trying to focus or count reps), they are constantly talking. This drives me bat**** crazy. I am there to work out. I am trying to focus and need to be able to hear the instructor. I am trying to count reps and keep good form. SHUT THE **** UP. Even little kids know that when teacher is talking, you are NOT. Go waste your time somewhere else. You're barely working out, it wouldn't matter anyway. I don't care if you waste your own time and money, but don't waste MINE. Some instructors will tell them to be quiet.. but most will not. And you know they'll be like middle school mean girls if anyone else suggests they shut their ****ing traps.

Comment

We talk about keeping endurance fun, celebrating being alive, etc. This was from this past Sunday's Michigan Titanium race... I did the Olympic duathlon (24.8 mile ride, 6.2 mile run). Look at the smile on my face. That lady ran with me 5 of 6.2 miles, and she's awesome.

39558195_10102478622907027_2980364973055672320_n

Comment

I really don't know why "rest" and "recovery" are such dirty words in my head. But they are.

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                              New year, new goals. Here are mine:

1. Get to about 200-205 and park it.

2. Stick to 5Ks, 10Ks, and sprint duathlon. No marathons quite yet.

3. Cross training! I have HIIT, yoga, Pilates, and my bike to choose from.

4. Limit booze and added sugar to 1 day a week, if that.

5. Limit dining out. Use the Crock-Pot and make meals like soup and beans and quinoa.

6. Cut to 2 cups of coffee a day.

What are yours?
                              October check, how ya doing?

1. Too much simple carbs lately. It's gone up.

2. Nope. Couldn't stay away from half, 25K, and Olympic duathlon. Next year, I go back to 26.2 and a POSSIBLE attempt at 70.3. In 2020, 140 point f-cking 6.

3. Lots of yoga and Pilates.

4. See one. Got into a car accident on 9/18 and eating has spiraled out of control.

5. This is good. If I go out, it's for breakfast/brunch.

6. I did... 3 small cups or 2 big cups.

Decided that racing as training was killing me, so decided to stay with marathons and stuff, just don't try for 7 in one year and actually TRAIN. And yes, I do want to complete the 140.6 distance in a couple years.

Comment

I started the Ketogenics diet this past Monday morning. So I'm four days in, and decided to give myself a weigh-in before my shower today. I'm down 8.5lbs, and I feel like I'm eating like a horse.

It's supposed to be good for people who don't handle carbs very well, which is where I find myself. I have a hard time controlling myself with them. The people I've been reading and listening to (Two Keto Dudes) say that this diet is great for pre-type II diabetics. Both of the guys doing that podcast were either diabetic or pre-diabetic when they started their diets, and at different stages in their attempts to reclaim their health. The Australian guy, at the time the podcast started, was a little over 3 years into the diet, while the Connecticut guy was only about month into it. The oddest thing about this, because I have no idea the reason, is that you crave a lot of salt on the diet. To help with the salt intake cravings, which I've had, I'm drinking an arse-ton of water.

What I've learned from this is that people on the diet hit a wall after a week or two, where the body shifts from primarily processing glucose to fuel itself to primarily processing ketones (fats, I think). Then it becomes much easier to stay on the diet and enjoy the food.

General idea of what people eat on a ketogenic diet:

Meat.
                                More meat.
                                Eggs (kind of a meat).
                                A little dairy, mostly the full fat stuff
                                Berries, nuts and seeds. (I'm constantly eating sunflower seeds at my desk.)
                                Things that are made from the stuff listed above but made to look like and sort of taste like baked goods.
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X