The Athletes sexual assault thread...You asked for it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Athletes sexual assault thread...You asked for it

You think Minnesota is happy they did what they did with Reggie Lynch now? They haven’t been flawless with their handling of some recent sex assault allegations, but I bet they like where they’re at compared with MSU.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
      I'm more than a little afraid that part of the difference in attitudes in the PSU and MSU situations may actually be sexism. Are we softer on Sandusky because he abused tough, grubby, strong, athletic boys, while Nasser went after our precious, beautiful princesses? Do we (subconsciously) see the girls as victims and the boys as something else?

This happens all. the. time. but I don’t think it’s the case here.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        All about the $$$. That's it. Football >>> Gymnastics when it comes to revenue.
        Don't combine scandals. What went on with gymnastics isn't related to football. Both are horrible, but they are not the same.

Except one thing- the denial never happened for Nassar- and that's taken down the president and AD on it's own. And the outrage over what Izzo and Dantonio allegedly has let happen may not save their legacy.

And I'm very much in the view that the "numbered victims" putting names instead of numbers in place is what really did it.

It all started with gymnastics- but it's reaching into the athletic department like cancer.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
          You think Minnesota is happy they did what they did with Reggie Lynch now? They haven’t been flawless with their handling of some recent sex assault allegations, but I bet they like where they’re at compared with MSU.
          They did the right thing. That’s the difference.

I’d rather lose than support predators.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
            Don't combine scandals. What went on with gymnastics isn't related to football. Both are horrible, but they are not the same.

Except one thing- the denial never happened for Nassar- and that's taken down the president and AD on it's own. And the outrage over what Izzo and Dantonio allegedly has let happen may not save their legacy.

And I'm very much in the view that the "numbered victims" putting names instead of numbers in place is what really did it.

It all started with gymnastics- but it's reaching into the athletic department like cancer.
            Yeah, but it shows a systemic problem with how the athletic department treats sex crimes.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              Yeah, but it shows a systemic problem with how the athletic department treats sex crimes.
              This.

PSU football brings in money. A LOT of money. MSU gymnastics? Notsomuch.

Not saying it's fair or right or justified by any means. It's not. NC-double-aholes want that money, though, so they came down hard on PSU at first, and then kinda rolled back on the penalties later on after the "next big thing" happened and took away the spotlight.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                I’d rather lose than support predators.
                As would most of us. Then there's Happy Valley...

Comment

it's still early.....
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

You do realize that this has been in the news for well over a year, right?
                    The gymnasts have, yes. But the MSU connection? That reach Mass Derp Consciousness only during the late stages of the trial.

I am astounded it wasn't Stanford. For one thing, Stanford's incestuousness with US Gymnastics is legendary. For another, short of a VC gang-raping non-vaccinated children in the break room of an abandoned internet start-up, I cannot imagine a more Stanford story.
                    Last edited by Kepler; 01-28-2018, 08:58 AM.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Just watched the E60 special on MSU, which was mostly just more of their reporting, and the athletic department basically overlooking sexual assault.

In that, there was a spring 2017 press conference where Dantonio claims that that was the first time that he and his program had to deal with sexual assault with their players.

Then there was the presser Friday where he claims that every one of the allegations that were laid out in the E60 report was properly gone through all of the channels.

If anyone watched it, there was allegations dating back to at least 2010 against the football program.

I may be reading this wrong, but it sure seems as if Dantonio admitted that he lied in 2017.

My editorial on his vs Izzo's reaction- it's interesting to see Dantonio be so very, very defiant. Whereas Izzo was very much not. If they go down, Dantonio will go down a LOT harder, and it will end up being very ugly. Dantonio basically gave the finger to every one of the people who alleged sexual assault, and I don't see that going over very well with the student body.

Comment

Kep

There you go again. The last sentence wasn't needed except for shock value.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          The gymnasts have, yes. But the MSU connection? That reach Mass Derp Consciousness only during the late stages of the trial.

I am astounded it wasn't Stanford. For one thing, Stanford's incestuousness with US Gymnastics is legendary. For another, short of a VC gang-raping non-vaccinated children in the break room of an abandoned internet start-up, I cannot imagine a more Stanford story.
                          Yes- if you get to see the E60 segments- you will see the local ABC channel documenting some allegations of assault back a while. And the allegations had made it to some of the various UM FB boards.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            Kep

There you go again. The last sentence wasn't needed except for shock value.
                            Shhh.

Last edited by Kepler; 01-28-2018, 09:31 AM.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                              I would definitely rather do it the way Minnesota did. It hurts their teams but better to be on the right side of the issue.
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                                I would definitely rather do it the way Minnesota did. It hurts their teams but better to be on the right side of the issue.
                                Agreed.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X