Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The IMDB top 25 - how many have you seen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The IMDB top 25 - how many have you seen?

Most around here probably know Barbara Stanwyck only from the Big Valley. I thought she was a really good actress from the "Golden Age of Hollywood" and if you get a chance check out The Lady Eve, Double Indemnity, Ball of Fire, Ladies They Talk About. Stella Dallas is supposed to be one of her best but I've yet to see it.
    A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      There are people here who will cut you if you call it anything less than A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius. I think it's the biggest steaming pile in movie history and the laziest performance by director, writer, and actors I've ever witnessed. I'm sure the costume design was fine.
      mookie was in town this past weekend and took the storrow exit toward the fens. at the light mookie could see the fens and said outloud "when i tell you to put a body "in the mAAAHHHHHHHHsh, i mean IN THE MAAAHHHHHHSH"

nobody in the car laughed except for mookie
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
        Liked, haven't seen, haven't seen, meh.
        Loved ("When you're slapped, you'll take it and like it")
        Loved (Claudette Colbert, mmmmmm)
        meh
        slightly better than meh

So, we did it in the music thread. How about your 10 Island movies?
        "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
        Groucho Marx
        "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
        Ron White
        "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
        Milo Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
          Most around here probably know Barbara Stanwyck only from the Big Valley. I thought she was a really good actress from the "Golden Age of Hollywood" and if you get a chance check out The Lady Eve, Double Indemnity, Ball of Fire, Ladies They Talk About. Stella Dallas is supposed to be one of her best but I've yet to see it.
          There'a also Baby Face - one of the films that resulted in the "Hollywood Code". It's hilarious how uptight American stiffs were about sexual suggestiveness on camera, despite recently exiting the Jazz Age. If they could see what Hollywood gets away with today, they'd literally explode.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
            SS gonna SS

Not exactly Mr. subtlety.
            That was very tongue in cheek. I very much enjoyed the first one but felt like I plodded through 2 & 3. The comment was born more of how the votes are generated than objecting to anyone enjoying them. I've typically always taken a, "to each his own" view regarding pop culture.

Ahem...
            1a and 1b.

Have not seen the bold:

1. The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
            I think were you to watch it now it's too late - you wouldn't be to without preconceptions.

Haven't seen:

1. CITIZEN KANE (1941)
            2. THE GODFATHER (1972)
            3. CASABLANCA (1942)
            4. RAGING BULL (1980)
            5. SINGIN' IN THE RAIN (1952)
            6. GONE WITH THE WIND (1939)
            7. LAWRENCE OF ARABIA (1962)
            8. SCHINDLER'S LIST (1993)
            9. VERTIGO (1958)
            10. THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939)
            11. CITY LIGHTS (1931)
            12. THE SEARCHERS (1956)
            13. STAR WARS (1977)
            14. PSYCHO (1960)
            15. 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (1968)
            16. SUNSET BLVD. (1950)
            17. THE GRADUATE (1967)
            18. THE GENERAL (1927)
            19. ON THE WATERFRONT (1954)
            20. IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE (1946)
            21. CHINATOWN (1974)
            22. SOME LIKE IT HOT (1959)
            23. THE GRAPES OF WRATH (1940)
            24. E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL (1982)
            25. TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD (1962)

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
              This isn't true, there's a weighted component for people who have rated/watched a lot of films I believe, kinda like super users if you will. That said I don't know exactly how the IMDB formula works but it's not quite as simple as fan votes and even then I'm not sure fan votes is such a terrible thing anyhow.

The other thing is some movies do get overrated initially (super hero movies almost always do as the comic book nerds votes start pouring in) and then come back to earth (once the weighted votes come in if I had to guess).
              They're still fan votes, as opposed to critics, movie studio personnel, etc. Anyone can vote on these (and I have). I can't vote on AFI, BFI or other lists.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                There'a also Baby Face - one of the films that resulted in the "Hollywood Code". It's hilarious how uptight American stiffs were about sexual suggestiveness on camera, despite recently exiting the Jazz Age. If they could see what Hollywood gets away with today, they'd literally explode.
                Haven't seen that one along with some others of hers. Red-Headed Woman with Jean Harlow(another of my faves)flashing some boob was also one of the films that led to "THE CODE".
                A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Haven't seen:

1. CITIZEN KANE (1941)
                  2. THE GODFATHER (1972)
                  3. CASABLANCA (1942)
                  4. RAGING BULL (1980)
                  9. VERTIGO (1958)
                  11. CITY LIGHTS (1931)
                  12. THE SEARCHERS (1956)
                  13. STAR WARS (1977)
                  14. PSYCHO (1960)
                  16. SUNSET BLVD. (1950)
                  17. THE GRADUATE (1967)
                  18. THE GENERAL (1927)
                  21. CHINATOWN (1974)

I've seen most of The Searchers but it's so bad I drop in and out. Raging Bull is just a pure oversight, I'd love to see it. You wouldn't get me to E.T. at gunpoint and I am shocked it's on this list which is otherwise excellent. (Schindler's List and Some Like It Hot are weak, but obviously there's no way of getting rid of the first one and the second one we'll just have to wait for the elderly to die.)
                  Last edited by Kepler; 12-28-2017, 01:42 PM.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                    They're still fan votes, as opposed to critics, movie studio personnel, etc. Anyone can vote on these (and I have). I can't vote on AFI, BFI or other lists.
                    Fair enough but I had to correct the fact that it's as simple as fan voting with no oversight. I also don't think that IMDB's system is a bad thing or that critics are inherently better, if anything IMDB's is closer to what I want to actually watch than AFI.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                      Fair enough but I had to correct the fact that it's as simple as fan voting with no oversight. I also don't think that IMDB's system is a bad thing or that critics are inherently better, if anything IMDB's is closer to what I want to actually watch than AFI.
                      Right. I was just pointing out that it was a vote by fans, which is why Dark Knight is #4 on the list.

I wish IMDB had a better way to police the votes though. There is no way to determine that each voter has seen the movie and will only vote once. I also wish trash votes were discarded. Out of 1.3 million votes, the Godfather has 34,000 1 votes. This was primarily done by Shawshank fans to remove it from #1 on the list. Likewise, of the 1.9 million votes Shawshank has, there are more than 31,000 1 votes. The weighted formula is supposed to weed those out but who knows if it does.

Comment

I know they have ways to eliminate obvious vote stuffing and given that those films are in the top 3, I can't imagine the 1 votes matter all that much. I can't say I know exactly how they do this because they don't reveal it but it's not like there's any completely ridiculous outliers in the top 25 or even top 250 for that matter. Like I said you do get some wonky results after a movie initially releases sometimes but after a while it tends to work itself out.

I don't really have an issue with Dark Knight in the top 4, that's probably a bit high but that was a very well done film.

Comment

Haven't seen:

1. CITIZEN KANE (1941)
                          2. THE GODFATHER (1972)
                          3. CASABLANCA (1942)
                          4. RAGING BULL (1980)
                          9. VERTIGO (1958)
                          11. CITY LIGHTS (1931)
                          12. THE SEARCHERS (1956)
                          13. STAR WARS (1977)
                          14. PSYCHO (1960)
                          16. SUNSET BLVD. (1950)
                          17. THE GRADUATE (1967)
                          18. THE GENERAL (1927)
                          21. CHINATOWN (1974)

I've seen most of The Searchers but it's so bad I drop in and out. Raging Bull is just a pure oversight, I'd love to see it. You wouldn't get me to E.T. at gunpoint and I am shocked it's on this list which is otherwise excellent. (Schindler's List and Some Like It Hot are weak, but obviously there's no way of getting rid of the first one and the second one we'll just have to wait for the elderly to die.)
                          I like how you're continually passing judgment on movies you've never seen.

Comment

I like how you're continually passing judgment on movies you've never seen.
                            If one doesn't like the synopsis/premise/trailer, I don't see the point in forcing oneself to watch.

That, and growing up, are why I've rarely seen a Disney movie since 1997.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              If one doesn't like the synopsis/premise/trailer, I don't see the point in forcing oneself to watch.
                              But you don't get to claim it shouldn't be in X list, then, given that you don't know whether it's actually bad since you haven't seen it.

I've never seen Titanic, and have no inkling to do so. But I'm also not claiming it shouldn't be in a list of great romance movies or anything, because I wouldn't know...

Comment

But you don't get to claim it shouldn't be in X list, then, given that you don't know whether it's actually bad since you haven't seen it.

I've never seen Titanic, and have no inkling to do so. But I'm also not claiming it shouldn't be in a list of great romance movies or anything, because I wouldn't know...
                                That's fair.

And Titanic sucks. If there's Jack Nicholson Disease for producers, Cameron has it.

Comment

Working...
                                X