Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rep Retirement Lodge 194: What to do now that winter has really started?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rep Retirement Lodge 194: What to do now that winter has really started?

To be fair, I could be completely full of sh|t here too.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      To be fair, I could be completely full of sh|t here too.
      I can only think of condensation in the gas line/tank, but wouldn't that be indicative of a bigger problem than weather? FTR, I know little about the workings of cars.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Good morning to tLodge!

Waiting for snowpocolypse to begin. Total snow accumulations of 8 to 12", with localized amounts up to 16 " in Rhode Island and eastern Massachusetts are expected. Plus some very high winds. Gonna be a fun day.

The biggest drop in MPG and performance comes from winter-blend fuel which has less efficient combustion than regular fuel. And even without warming up, the engine needs to work harder when the oil is cold. Plus, extremely cold air has less oxygen (think of how uncomfortable it is to breathe). Tire pressure probably adds a little to the equation as well.
        Quinnipiac Bobcats
        2023 National Champions
        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
        ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
        East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
        Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
        Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
        Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Good Morning, MEUSA!

Good Morning to the rest of tLodge!
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
            Good morning to tLodge!

Waiting for snowpocolypse to begin. Total snow accumulations of 8 to 12", with localized amounts up to 16 " in Rhode Island and eastern Massachusetts are expected. Plus some very high winds. Gonna be a fun day.

The biggest drop in MPG and performance comes from winter-blend fuel which has less efficient combustion than regular fuel. And even without warming up, the engine needs to work harder when the oil is cold. Plus, extremely cold air has less oxygen (think of how uncomfortable it is to breathe). Tire pressure probably adds a little to the equation as well.
            It looks the forecasters were pretty accurate for this one in 202-land. The brunt of the storm has stayed east of us and we only have an inch if the measuring device has shrunk because of the cold. I had no trouble walking to the Safeway/Starbucks at 5 AM with a shopping cart.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Wind is blowing crazy here... hard to tell how much white stuff thus far. At times it's a virtual white-out when looking outside.
              Quinnipiac Bobcats
              2023 National Champions
              ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
              Northeast Regional:

Comment

Good morning Lodge. Office is closed. We were all planning to work from home today, trying to determine if that means I don’t have to take the five conference calls I have today - ha ha! One meeting I will cancel as it was supposed to be an on-site. I hope to do a few other things around the house today, like take down my tree, maybe do a load of laundry...

I put my car in the T garage last night. Hopefully the plow will clear out my spot tonight. As the snow started a few hours later than they said, I’m sure it will end much later. I may work from home tomorrow too.

Comment

Currently under blizzard conditions which are likely to continue for at least the next 2-3 hours. They're saying this is the 5th most powerful winter storm to hit this area, and it's a long way from over.

Radar is crazy; showing some really heavy bands of snow. Winds are howling like a 747 is sitting in my backyard. Every once in a while the house seems to shudder from the gusts.

I hope everyone in the path of the storm is in a safe place and won't need to be out in this mess.
                  Quinnipiac Bobcats
                  2023 National Champions
                  Northeast Regional:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    I’m not sure gas:water is any different in the summer or winter. That probably has more to do with where you get gas.

I’m guessing it is almost entirely tire pressure (you lose about 10-15% per 5 psi and dropping 30 degrees has dropped my tire pressure about 5 psi) and the way you drive. In the winter it’s probably more stop and go and you don’t drive as fast. Additionally, if you have AWD, it’s going to make it suffer even more as power is transferred less to the front wheels and more to the rear giving you a characteristic 4WD inefficiency.
                    Every spring and autumn the oil refineries that supply gasoline and diesel to the northern states go through what's called a "turn around" event. In addition to executing widespread maintenance, they're also converting to the fuel they produce, dependent upon the season. "Summer" fuel is different than "winter" fuel. The summer has more detergents added while the winter blend has something else - memory's getting fuzzy on this. My father worked for the former Koch Refinery in Rosemount, and he'd talk about this a lot during those two weeks of the year.

These turnarounds are why we'll see a two-week spike in fuel prices even when there's no natural disaster or world crisis happening that would impact supply during the spring and autumn. Refinery A is going through its turnaround one week, and Refinery B is going through theirs the next. The two refineries in the Twin Cities have to register with the state's commerce department so that the two suppliers aren't down at the same time. A few years ago, the commerce department screwed up, assigned both refineries the same week, and prices jumped something like $0.50 for the one week while local gas stations had to scramble in order to find suppliers from other parts of the country.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                      Morning
                      614a

Good night les
                      Pre-emptive good afternoon as I was going to be on late this morning?

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                      Good morning to tLodge!

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      Every spring and autumn the oil refineries that supply gasoline and diesel to the northern states go through what's called a "turn around" event. In addition to executing widespread maintenance, they're also converting to the fuel they produce, dependent upon the season. "Summer" fuel is different than "winter" fuel. The summer has more detergents added while the winter blend has something else - memory's getting fuzzy on this. My father worked for the former Koch Refinery in Rosemount, and he'd talk about this a lot during those two weeks of the year.

These turnarounds are why we'll see a two-week spike in fuel prices even when there's no natural disaster or world crisis happening that would impact supply during the spring and autumn. Refinery A is going through its turnaround one week, and Refinery B is going through theirs the next. The two refineries in the Twin Cities have to register with the state's commerce department so that the two suppliers aren't down at the same time. A few years ago, the commerce department screwed up, assigned both refineries the same week, and prices jumped something like $0.50 for the one week while local gas stations had to scramble in order to find suppliers from other parts of the country.
                      I learn so much weird stuff on this thread.

Good Morning Lodge!

Snowing like mad but the real storm isn't here yet. lil left right as it started to snow. First flurries when he started to load the car. In the less than 10 min he was putting stuff in it there was an inch already

Comment

My area got a dusting of snow. Now its just high winds and cold air.
                        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          "Summer" fuel is different than "winter" fuel. The summer has more detergents added while the winter blend has something else - memory's getting fuzzy on this.
                          Typically (more) butane is added to the fuel in winter to increase the RVP (Reid Vapor Pressure).
                          Quinnipiac Bobcats
                          2023 National Champions
                          Northeast Regional:

Comment

Snowmageddon is looking impressive!

Comment

• [QUOTE=leswp1;6579940]Pre-emptive good afternoon as I was going to be on late this morning?

Gotcha
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Oh, it's snowing. Guess I'll just blow it out of the way and continue on with life.

Comment

Working...
                                X