View Poll Results: What To Do Now That Winter Is Here?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep warm and toasty under a blanket

7 41.18%
  • Curse my local sports team

8 47.06%
  • Hibernate until spring

2 11.76%
  • Build a snow fort

5 29.41%
  • Reminisce about how winters were worse "in my day"

13 76.47%
  • Bacon and Giada and yada yada yada

4 23.53%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Rep Retirement Lodge 194: What to do now that winter has really started?

Re: Rep Retirement Lodge 194: What to do now that winter has really started?

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    And the rich get richer....

Good morning Lodge. Home, finally. Doing some laundry, need to run out and do some food shopping. This afternoon I'm going with my cousin to Children's Hospital. Her 2-year old has some developmental issues. Last week they had an appointment with her, today is the assessment. She asked either me or my brother to go with her as, at the time, her husband and 5-year old were supposed to be visiting his family in Michigan. Then he got pneumonia. He's not really well enough to go. My brother flies out today, so I'm going with her. I'm worried for my cousin. She's had a rough week with everyone being sick, plus thinking about this appointment the whole time. I want to be there for moral support, plus try to get information and ask questions for her. Her daughter has some sensory issues, and she hasn't started talking yet. She tuned 2 in August. She has definitely improved over the past few months. Makes eye contact, plays with you, getting much better with people she doesn't see often (like my family), etc. No fear at doing things like running around outside, she loves to swim. Not sure what to expect.

Also, it's cold. Again.
    Whatever the diagnosis there usually is a sense of relief of knowing mixed with a sense of my kid is not normal (and mourning re all the things that will not be normal). It is good to acknowledge both these and remind the Mum that their kid is still the same kid they were yesterday, labels are only labels. Kids are still the kid they love only now they have the info to help make a strategy to deal with what ever comes and help the kid do the best they can do.

Great book for kids with Sensory Issues~ The Out of Sync Child by Carol Stock Kranowitz. People really have no idea how much the sensory stuff can mimic other things and keep kids from progressing. One of the most misdiagnosed things in kids. Once you get how it works you can work to decrease the stuff that overstims the kid and they can be completely different. If you manipulate their environment they can go from being non-reactive to everything/completely bouncing off the walls to being much calmer and participatory. Depending on how things go it can seem like a miracle or at least much more understandable when things go pear-shaped.
    Good resource- http://www.sociallyspeakingllc.com/m...igns_of_si.pdf or
    http://www.thespiralfoundation.org/toolkit_parents.html

(Worked pedi and this was missed so much!!!)

Good Morning Lodge!

Opposite Girl

Cool - thanks for those resources! I'll share with her. I think she just wants to get some sort of diagnosis as certain treatments won't be covered until she's diagnosed. And then they can move forward. I know its going to be hard even though she is expecting it.

Yayz! Work was slow enough and I was next on the list for Voluntary Time Off (not paid) so I worked for one whole hour this morning. I would have been bored out of my skull had I stayed. Having lunch at church since I have about $30 in credit there. Free food!
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Cool - thanks for those resources! I'll share with her. I think she just wants to get some sort of diagnosis as certain treatments won't be covered until she's diagnosed. And then they can move forward. I know its going to be hard even though she is expecting it.

Insurance doesn't cover a lot. The State is supposed to cover services but that can be an interesting adventure. For kids that have delays there are services that they cshould be able to access, even without dx. Around here it is the Ann Sullivan Ctr- they go out and evaluate the kid. If they find delays they then make recommendations regarding services. THose are until age 3. After age 3 the local school district is responsible. Most all insurances do NOT cover developmental delay issues at all. That is on the school district. You need to request services and then haunt them to get them (at least in our town which has been sued on numerous occasions for ignoring what they are required to do)

The kiddo should be referred to Early Intervention PRONTO if it hasn't been already. A lot of time people wait until dx and lose the service because they age out at 3. Early Intervention will sometimes even come to the house. EI linky- http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/gov/depart...-intervention/

(you can't tell I am missing the NP thing a bit..... but not enough to go back!!!!!)
    Last edited by leswp1; 12-29-2017 at 12:25 PM.

*HT

a

pawn in game of life

Good Evening, Lodge!

Tropical Heatwave here South of the River! Nothing like Irish Coffee to cool myself off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterman View Post
    Lady Wore Black is a hottie.
    "I love hockey, it is such a great sport. I love how the outfielders use their baseball bats to hit the ball across the ice field, pass the punter for nothing but net shot from downtown." - Unknown

"No matter what happens in college hockey tournament, the Yankees will not win the World Series this year." - Mr. wore Black

Hht!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady wore Black View Post
    Good Evening, Lodge!

Tropical Heatwave here South of the River! Nothing like Irish Coffee to cool myself off.
    Hazelnut Rum Cake Irish Stout (firkin) at LTD. Now it's hockey time at Chez Rube.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Opposite Girl

HBT! Went to my first (and probably only) BU basketball game tonight. Small crowd. But lively. And the team played great and beat Army. Yay!

HBT! Went to my first (and probably only) BU basketball game tonight. Small crowd. But lively. And the team played great and beat Army. Yay!
    What a coincidence! We beat Army, also! HHT at Chez Rube!

Capt

Could somebody direct me to the HHT?

Good morning to tLodge!
    Quinnipiac Bobcats
    2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16 ECAC Regular Season Champions
    2013 East Regional Champions, Frozen Four
    2014 East Regional
    2015 West Regional
    2016 ECAC Tournament Champions, East Regional Champions, Frozen Four

Good Morning, MEUSA!

Good Morning tot he rest of tLodge!

there's a good buck in that racket.

s’upp y’all

Mornin', Lodge.

Found out a guy I know has lymphoma. From what little I heard, it's not looking good right now, but there is a fundraiser of sorts going on to help him with medical bills. One of the nicest guys you'd ever meet. He was having a really good year this year, too: closed on a house, got a nice job as a brewery rep, really moving up in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Mornin', Lodge.

Found out a guy I know has lymphoma. From what little I heard, it's not looking good right now, but there is a fundraiser of sorts going on to help him with medical bills. One of the nicest guys you'd ever meet. He was having a really good year this year, too: closed on a house, got a nice job as a brewery rep, really moving up in life.
    * Cancer

Good Morning Lodge!

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever

Brrrrrrr.......teeth clattering....Brrrrrr....

Had an appointment today to get a new battery in one of our cars this morning.....and of course today is the day it didn't start. Nothing like having to boost a car when it's -14 outside. Battery is now replaced plus I had the fun of resetting the (aftermarket) radio settings.

Brent - sorry to hear about your bud.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

Vote Bullwinkle J. Moose For President in 2016

LIstening to my team sleepwalk thru the 2nd period playing one of the worst teams in the country and losing 3-0. Ready to belly up to *HT'

All while wrapping Christmas presents. Ugh and ugh.

*HT again

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    *HT again
    Hi RFAlph. Joining you. Want a chocolate milk?

Thread Information