Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rep Retirement Lodge 194: What to do now that winter has really started?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rep Retirement Lodge 194: What to do now that winter has really started?

My dad and I were planning on meeting today to go over my retirement plans since I need to readjust my contributions.

I had to cancel because I’m getting over a cold. His email reply is just an ad for Kleenex at Cub Foods.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Evening, Lodge. Had a good day, no church but hit up the corner store, talked with a female that was...to use the old USCHO inside joke.....NPB and was later told by some staff that I coulda pulled a number easy. We are now FB friends, so we'll see how that goes. She knows some of the college hockey crowd, which is how we started talking, actually kind of hilarious, as she didn't believe me at first:

You know x? "Yep, here he is." Ok how about y? "Yep, here she is" ZOMG how about z? "Yep, here he is" WTeff?!
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Good morning to tLodge!
        Quinnipiac Bobcats
        2023 National Champions
        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
        ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
        East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
        Northeast Regional:
        West Regional: 2015, 2021
        Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
        Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Good Morning, MEUSA!

Good Morning to the rest of tLodge
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Good Morning Lodge! Holiday but not for me.

Comment

It’s one of those days. I wanted my shovel by 8:30.
              FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                Good Morning Lodge! Holiday but not for me.
                Not for me either. Probably shouldn't have stayed up so late watching the Olympics!! Kinda tired this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                  It’s one of those days. I wanted my shovel by 8:30.
                  I wanted your shovel a bit after it turned into the new day (corrected til 1A) then I really wanted it when I got a passive aggressive email saying I didn't teach them something I beat them over the head for. Bad when they are clueless and don't even know it.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    My dad and I were planning on meeting today to go over my retirement plans since I need to readjust my contributions.

I had to cancel because I’m getting over a cold. His email reply is just an ad for Kleenex at Cub Foods.
                    I am not worried, or messing with mine at this point, just throwing money into it. Doesn't really matter what the projections are for how much I'll be able to retire with at what age, because all of that will be thrown into flux when I quit my job to farm full time. For me, the 401k is just an added bonus, for when I retire. I hope to live off of other means.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Went to my wife's work's holiday party over the weekend. It was in a private club area at US Bank Stadium. Got a full tour of the place before the party, and got to see the Vikings locker room and a few other really cool areas. They had Olympic curling on the jumbotron, so we could watch Schuster suck during the party. We ended up both winning something in the raffle drawing they do, I got some solar powered patio lights, and a bottle of wine, wife got an insulated picknick cooler thing, with a bottle of wine. Then, for the big employees-only drawing, at the end of the night, my wife won a 55" UHD TV....so now we have 2 55" UHD TVs...and a house too small for both of them.

Time for a new house, I guess.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                        I am not worried, or messing with mine at this point, just throwing money into it. Doesn't really matter what the projections are for how much I'll be able to retire with at what age, because all of that will be thrown into flux when I quit my job to farm full time. For me, the 401k is just an added bonus, for when I retire. I hope to live off of other means.
                        Yeah, that's fair. I usually do an evaluation once every year or every other year. Long story short, I've got some new tax rules that are going to apply to me and I'm changing the way I'm going to be contributing to my GESPP. I need a solid strategy in place so that I don't have to start paying penalties for estimated taxes and whatnot.

The GESPP is going to be the most complicated I think because I'm going to start ramping up my contributions. What I don't want is to have a portfolio too heavy in a single stock. I want to start selling it proportionally to how much I buy and I want to make sure I'm selling the right shares. As I get older, the difference in capital gains tax vs. regular income will likely increase until Congress intervenes. So I want to minimize profits now and maximize capital gains later. I might be making it too complicated but whatever. Good to go through the thought exercise.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          Yeah, that's fair. I usually do an evaluation once every year or every other year. Long story short, I've got some new tax rules that are going to apply to me and I'm changing the way I'm going to be contributing to my GESPP. I need a solid strategy in place so that I don't have to start paying penalties for estimated taxes and whatnot.

The GESPP is going to be the most complicated I think because I'm going to start ramping up my contributions. What I don't want is to have a portfolio too heavy in a single stock. I want to start selling it proportionally to how much I buy and I want to make sure I'm selling the right shares. As I get older, the difference in capital gains tax vs. regular income will likely increase until Congress intervenes. So I want to minimize profits now and maximize capital gains later. I might be making it too complicated but whatever. Good to go through the thought exercise.
                          Yeah, starting this year I have a professional ag tax guy that I'll meet with a couple times per year to advise me on this kind of stuff. It gets even more complicated with the business transition, land transfers and purchases, equipment depreciation, etc. as we transfer ownership of the business from my dad to me, and as my grandpa's health continues to deteriorate (Grandpa owns a large % of the land, as he was the one that really did a great job of expanding the farm).

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                            Went to my wife's work's holiday party over the weekend. It was in a private club area at US Bank Stadium. Got a full tour of the place before the party, and got to see the Vikings locker room and a few other really cool areas. They had Olympic curling on the jumbotron, so we could watch Schuster suck during the party. We ended up both winning something in the raffle drawing they do, I got some solar powered patio lights, and a bottle of wine, wife got an insulated picknick cooler thing, with a bottle of wine. Then, for the big employees-only drawing, at the end of the night, my wife won a 55" UHD TV....so now we have 2 55" UHD TVs...and a house too small for both of them.

I know a mortgage guy...
                            AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post

Well that's pretty cool. Sometimes at events like that they limit you to function areas and you don't get to check out the place. Did you get to go on the field at all? And congrats on the TV! Not a bad prize. Hope you didn't have to lug that home that night.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                                Well that's pretty cool. Sometimes at events like that they limit you to function areas and you don't get to check out the place. Did you get to go on the field at all? And congrats on the TV! Not a bad prize. Hope you didn't have to lug that home that night.
                                The field was already covered up, and they had a home show going on at the time, so anyone could technically go on the field, if you bought a ticket to the home show. I imagine that the field will be covered up for shows, concerts, monster truck rallies, and any other crap they find to put in there in the offseason. The behind the scene stuff, like the locker room, spa, training rooms, press box, and suites were the most interesting stuff.

We probably could have let someone else deal with the TV, but didn't want to saddle someone else with it. So we carried it down from the club level, through the skyway until we got to Clown's building, which was closed, then down to the street, and around to the hotel. Fun stuff.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X