Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45:26 - One million tweets DC!

Originally posted by Rover View Post
    Flaggy, I already laid this out in the Rover Manifesto, but since you let your subscription lapse apparently I'll sum it up for you:

1) Anybody who served in the armed forces honorably is in. Get your discharge, walk down to city hall and take the oath. No waiting.
    2) Anybody with a degree and job in a critical area (doctors, scientists, etc, etc) is a permanent resident. We need the best and the brightest.
    3) Anybody earning a degree or employed with an employer willing to sponsor you, pay all back taxes and get in the back of the line. But, you get a green card provided your status doesn't change.
    4) Finally, seasonal workers doing agriculture work - temporary visa to work as needed during the peak season. No bringing your family with you, and you must go back afterwards but you are legal while here.

Obviously the spouses and dependents of #1-3 can join/remain but that's it. Everybody else would either need to go back or get into these categories in order to remain.
    I bolded a key word.
    Otherwise, aside from some details (defining "critical areas", what is a "dependent" for this), < gulp > we agree.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Flaggy, I already laid this out in the Rover Manifesto, but since you let your subscription lapse apparently I'll sum it up for you:

1) Anybody who served in the armed forces honorably is in. Get your discharge, walk down to city hall and take the oath. No waiting.
      2) Anybody with a degree and job in a critical area (doctors, scientists, etc, etc) is a permanent resident. We need the best and the brightest.
      3) Anybody earning a degree or employed with an employer willing to sponsor you, pay all back taxes and get in the back of the line. But, you get a green card provided your status doesn't change.
      4) Finally, seasonal workers doing agriculture work - temporary visa to work as needed during the peak season. No bringing your family with you, and you must go back afterwards but you are legal while here.

Obviously the spouses and dependents of #1-3 can join/remain but that's it. Everybody else would either need to go back or get into these categories in order to remain.
      Probably didn't see it, given these threads balloon to exorbitant lengths and I don't get a chance to read everything. However, let's take a look:

1: I'm going to assume you mean the US military, and it's a little surprising to me that a non-citizen would be able to enlist. I'd be game for your idea, though. In addition to an honorable discharge, though, I think I'd also want a minimum number of years of service. At least 3-5.
      2: If the difference between this and #3 is back tax forgiveness and order of priority, I'm not too sure about doing that. I'd be game to negotiate a repatriation percentage, though.
      3 and 4: Nail on head.

Spouses/Dependents: I'd assume strict one-generation similar to what Trump has been proposing. I'd want to vet them and not give a free ride, though. Especially considering "arranged marriages" and the trouble that could come from those. Also, too many military-aged male "children" are terrorizing Europe; we need to learn from their mistakes.

Reads like we have some common ground, and could debate the nuances to come up with something we'd both be satisfied with.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
        I bolded a key word.
        Otherwise, aside from some details (defining "critical areas", what is a "dependent" for this), < gulp > we agree.
        Amazing what happens when we stop complaining and come up with some solutions, eh?

Comment

DACA participants can join the military as of 2014. Not sure if that's still in place but presumably some are currently serving or have served. I hadn't given length of service any thought but doesn't seem like a sticking point.

Regarding "dependents" = spouse and minor children. Not your 5th cousin twice removed. They of course are free to join of the categories I already laid out.

Critical areas in some ways are going to be pretty evident. Doctors for one (was friends with a legal immigrant doctor waiting to become a permanent resident before he could practice), nuclear physicists, etc etc. No to Ms. Cleo were she still alive. Don't know exactly where the dividing line is by the Dept of Labor would have to sort that out or a similar agency.

Finally, I think immigration advocates hurt themselves with the "illegal immigrants do the work Americans won't do" schtick. I don't believe that by and large with one big exception, which is agriculture. I don't think you can find enough Americans to work the fields, hence the seasonal visa proposal. Otherwise you're only leaving the door open to exploitation if there aren't any rules in place to pay these people a living wage if in fact they're needed in a poultry processing plant or construction job. A system that benefits almost everybody (if you have a criminal record you're kinda screwed) isn't that hard to come up with.
          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Finally, I think immigration advocates hurt themselves with the "illegal immigrants do the work Americans won't do" schtick. I don't believe that by and large with one big exception, which is agriculture. I don't think you can find enough Americans to work the fields, hence the seasonal visa proposal.
            When was the last time you saw a white person working a housekeeping cart?

Comment

A federal energy regulator has rejected a proposed rule that would have subsidized nuclear and coal plants, helping those fuel sources compete with cheaper natural gas and renewables.

The rule was described by the Department of Energy as a way to promote the resilience of the electric grid — that is, its ability to provide reliable energy in the face of disruptive events like bad weather.

But the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission said the rule falls short of "clear and fundamental" legal requirements, by giving preferential treatment to some resources with no evidence that the result will be "just and reasonable." The commissioners also were not persuaded that the rule would effectively address resilience issues — or, in fact, that the rule had anything to do with resilience at all.
              Says the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (four of its five members, including the chairman, were nominated by President Trump).
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                When was the last time you saw a white person working a housekeeping cart?
                New England. Saw some Irish chicks here for the summer several years back! I think I spotted a few Brazilians too, at least that's what I imagined they were.

But, I have no problem with hotels using immigrants to do jobs like that, provided they go through a legal process and again if its a seasonal need give them a seasonal visa, or if they're an employee sponsor them.
                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  That's the funny thing: A lot of the things people clamor for are exactly what Trump wants. It's just how dare he have that "R" next to his name.
                  It's funny, cause the desired actions that you listed are exactly what Obama was trying to do, and you and the Republicans would have none of it, cause he wasn't a "real" president, for some reason or another.
                  What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Bannon got ****-canned by Breitbart. But I'm sure that's just what he wanted them to do, because he's such a political mastermind that he'll come back even stronger.
                    Originally posted by dicaslover
                    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

DACA participants can join the military as of 2014. Not sure if that's still in place but presumably some are currently serving or have served. I hadn't given length of service any thought but doesn't seem like a sticking point.

Regarding "dependents" = spouse and minor children. Not your 5th cousin twice removed. They of course are free to join of the categories I already laid out.

Critical areas in some ways are going to be pretty evident. Doctors for one (was friends with a legal immigrant doctor waiting to become a permanent resident before he could practice), nuclear physicists, etc etc. No to Ms. Cleo were she still alive. Don't know exactly where the dividing line is by the Dept of Labor would have to sort that out or a similar agency.

Finally, I think immigration advocates hurt themselves with the "illegal immigrants do the work Americans won't do" schtick. I don't believe that by and large with one big exception, which is agriculture. I don't think you can find enough Americans to work the fields, hence the seasonal visa proposal. Otherwise you're only leaving the door open to exploitation if there aren't any rules in place to pay these people a living wage if in fact they're needed in a poultry processing plant or construction job. A system that benefits almost everybody (if you have a criminal record you're kinda screwed) isn't that hard to come up with.
                      I do have some reservations about non-citizens joining the military, even thinking to the point of putting the citizenship oath with the military oath. However, given it leaves us open to betrayals and then we're stuck with them because they had to become citizens to join, I wouldn't mind the idea of "proving your worth". Still some reservations about it becoming subject to potential abuse, especially if an AWOL runs a vehicle into a crowd. I assume the military does some character vetting, which would alleviate concerns.

I would be inclined to disagree with the assumptions of the last paragraph based on the number of non-disabled people getting SNAP benefits. Maine's concepts of work-to-receive are quite nice, as they promote community betterment, increase revenues through a taxed work force, and reduce spending from the "bums"; I'm tempted to write my assemblywoman and state senator to try to get something similar into my state. The biggest trouble after the "bum factor" I see is the location of the work vs. the location of the potential workers. Obviously there's the moving expenses deduction, and I can also understand people becoming sentimentally attached to certain communities. Sure, you could offer a one-time one-way expense subsidy to move you and your family for work, usable only once within a certain time period (I'd think at least 2-3 years). Would it be enough?

Comment

• Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                        Bannon got ****-canned by Breitbart. But I'm sure that's just what he wanted them to do, because he's such a political mastermind that he'll come back even stronger.
                        Is it safe to listen to XM radio once again?
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                          It's funny, cause the desired actions that you listed are exactly what Obama was trying to do, and you and the Republicans would have none of it, cause he wasn't a "real" president, for some reason or another.
                          No, Obama shoved communism down our throats. Rover and I are speaking about actual give and take, not one person giving, the other person taking, all while we lose our identity as Americans because 1,000,000 unvetted immigrants per year were coming in to turn Minneapolis into Western Somalia, and other similar "sanctuaries".

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                            Is it safe to listen to XM radio once again?
                            Breitbart just got a brand new studio at XM, too. As in, this morning. Pete Dominic was talking about how Insight and Patriot hated sharing space, not because of politics but just because of ghetto technical conditions.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                              No, Obama shoved communism down our throats.
                              You have no idea what communism is, do you?

all while we lose our identity as Americans because 1,000,000 unvetted immigrants per year were coming in to turn Minneapolis into Western Somalia, and other similar "sanctuaries".
                              A million a year, unvetted. Minneapolis = Somalia. Do you have any idea how dumb and racist you sound?
                              Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 01-09-2018, 04:06 PM.

Comment

No, Obama shoved communism down our throats.
                                To say nothing of death squads coming to our old folks homes and faked mass killings at schools.

And if it wasn't him in my closet, it was someone he sent.

Comment

Working...
                                X